1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Burnley - Saturday 7th January KO 15:00 FA Cup 3rd Round

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Jan 6, 2017.

?

Your Prediction

1. Home win

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. Draw

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Away win

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Saturday 7th January 15:00, Sunderland host Burnley in the FA Cup at the Stadium of Light SAFC v BUR.gif
    Last time out Sunderland drew 2-2 with Liverpool while Burnley lost 2-1 away to Man City.
    Joey Barton could make his second debut for Burnley when they take on Sunderland in the FA Cup third round on Saturday.
    Both sides have their sights set on Premier League survival, but the Clarets can afford to have more of a go in the Cup as they sit 12th in the table, eight points clear of Sunderland in 18th.

David Moyes:
    "We have said Jermain is not for sale and he is not for sale. West Ham made a bid and we rejected it,"
    "We have never asked for a second bid, we have never put a price on him, not at any time," continued Moyes.
    "He's really important to us. Everybody knows that and the club has already come out and said that.
    "There has been very little said from Sunderland. The talking has all come from other people, not from here."
    “We are in good fettle so hopefully we can show that again.
    “I think in a positive way a good cup run can (help us). We don’t have European football and unfortunately we didn’t get through in the League Cup so we don’t have anything other in our way.
    “Its Saturday games in the FA Cup, bar replays, so why would we not want to play in the FA Cup?”

Sean Dyche :
    Speaking about Joey Barton.
    “There's no guarantee on how much of a part he plays but he's in the pack"
    "The expectation is just for him to come back in and be a valued part of the squad."

Form:
    Sunderland: W-L-L-W-L-D
    Burnley: W-L-L-W-W-L

This will be Sunderland's first home game in the FA Cup since January 2015, while they're unbeaten in five in the competition on home soil (W4 D1).
    The Black Cats have won just one of their last five FA Cup meetings with top-flight opponents (D1 L3), however their only win did come at the Stadium of Light (1-0 v Southampton in 2013/14).
    This will be the first FA Cup meeting between the teams since February 1979, when Burnley won 3-0 in a fourth round replay at Roker Park.

Team Selection:
    Burnley

Joey Barton may play for Burnley as the Clarets look to make some changes.
    Paul Robinson or Nick Pope will replace Tom Heaton in goal. Patrick Bamford (Chelsea) and John Flanagan (Liverpool) are both available.

Sunderland
    Sunderland will be without Lamine Kone, Didier Ndong and Wahbi Khazri. The three have now linked up with their respective countries ahead of the Africa Cup of Nations and will be unavailable for several weeks, while midfielder Steven Pienaar will miss out once again this weekend with a calf injury.
    Full-back Billy Jones returns to contention after a one-match ban, while midfielder Jason Denayer is back in training following a hamstring strain, but striker Victor Anichebe (also hamstring) is still out and joins Jordan Pickford, Jan Kirchhoff, Paddy McNair and Duncan Watmore (all knee), Lee Cattermole (hip) and Lynden Gooch (ankle) on the sidelines.

Key Men:

Sunderland
    Fabio Borini

please log in to view this image

Fabio is looking sharper after his goal at Old Trafford, let’s hope we see more of his goal celebration.

Burnley

Andre Gray
    please log in to view this image

Gray is scoring important goals for Burnley and has helped them move up the league table.

Expected Line ups
    Sunderland
    starting XI (4-3-3): Mannone, Van Aanholt, O’Shea, Djilobodji, Jones, Denayer, Rodwell, Januzaj, Borini, Defoe, Asoro.

Burnley starting XI (4-1-4-1): Robinson, Keane, Mee, Flanagan, Ward, Boyd, Marney, Defour, Arfield, Gray, Barnes.

Betting:
    Sunderland 11-8
    Burnley 2-1
    Draw 23-10

My two pence...
    Burnley tore us apart last year, but I am sure that Moyes will be going for revenge so I'm hoping for a 2-1 home win.

Ha’way the lads.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  2. MackemInTheMiddle

MackemInTheMiddle Well-Known Member

Cheers RTB.

Think DM will play a lot of young guns and Burnley will have a stronger team out as they'll fancy their chances after the result at their place.

I'd like a cup run as winning breeds confidence and gives us fans a lift so hopefully I'm wrong.

Be lucky to get 15,000 there I think, and I'll be one of them.

MrRAWhite, Home_and_Away and RTB like this.
  3. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

I hope you enjoy the game mate.

This is one of those few times I'd be happy to forget the cup for this year.

Unless we can bring in half a dozen players to backfill the squad, yeh right, the last thing we need is a distraction. Winning cup games does breed confidence but that isn't our problem at the minute.

At the moment our problem is fit players and a decimated squad.

I won't be shedding tears if we lose. For once.

4. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

I'll be 3 of them... the amount I've eaten this week !!!

5. MackemInTheMiddle

I resemble that remark :emoticon-0166-cake:! Good job there'll be plenty room :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Home_and_Away likes this.
  6. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Well me and my two sons are going, and I fancy us to batter them..
    May put a fiver on 4-1 to us..

7. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

8. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0148-yes: Good post RTB -I'm really beginning to feel confidence in Moyes and think his positivity and statement about a cup run is "toppa"
    Feel we are heading for 4th round today esp if we can continue the 'team play 'we did against Liverpool. It'll be a miserable debut for psycho Barton imo. Young guns to triumph
    KTF

RTB likes this.
  9. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more mate, the league has to be our focus and premiership survival.

Another great post RTB :emoticon-0148-yes:

RTB likes this.
  10. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

We'll win!!

Bart

Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.

11. MackemInTheMiddle

From SAFC.com
    "
    David Moyes has confirmed changes to Sunderland’s starting XI for their third round Emirates FA Cup match will be at a premium.

With Lamine Kone, Didier Ndong and Wahbi Khazri away on international duty for the African Cup of Nations, Moyes has been left with even more of a threadbare squad than he had prior to the festive period.

However, the Black Cats have been handed a fitness boost over on loan youngster Jason Denayer who returned to training this week.

Speaking in his pre-match press conference the Scot confirmed the Belgian could return to action this weekend after missing out on Sunderland’s quick-fire festive fixtures against Burnley and Liverpool.

The 53-year-old also revealed topscorer Jermain Defoe could feature while he hasn’t ruled out the possibility of selecting a number of youngsters.

“Jason has done a bit of training so hopefully he will be ok,” he admitted.

“Apart from that I’m expecting much of the same, Victor Anichebe has got a hamstring injury which is going to keep him out.

“We have got a group of players and it’s the same group of players that have been working for us week in week out in the main.

“We have had a few additions but the three boys we have lost to the African Cup of Nations this week sort of makes that smaller, but nevertheless it’s the same group of players so we won’t be far off the same boys we play most weeks."

He continued: “We will continue to try and promote young players but at the same time and in the same breathe I want to win games as well and build momentum for the team.

“I have got to do that in the right way. The boys at the academy will be brought up and some of them maybe involved in some way.

“We will need Jermain to be around it because we just don’t have enough people around to say we’re resting you this week.”

Looks like he's going for it which is good - I retract my previous remarks and think we'll win KTF

RTB likes this.
  12. Big Bad Wesley Brown

Big Bad Wesley Brown Well-Known Member

Hope we win as I'd love a good away day at a lower league team, but I'm not too bothered if we get knocked out for reasons stated elsewhere. Worst possible outcome is a replay!

RTB likes this.
  13. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

This game is as big as any to me, sure bring in a few fringe players but I want defoe etc on the bench at least and a cup run. am going also by the way, £10 ticket for the best football tournament in the world is fine.

grandpops and RTB like this.
  14. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

A strong team selection

grandpops likes this.
  15. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

16. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

Not really a strong team put out by either club.

Is it Love or Manquillo playing at right back? Where is the other one going to be playing <yikes>

17. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

That`s a very young bench. Leave O`Shea out and the average age must be about 22. Including him takes the average up to about 53 but never mind.

I hope we manage to be doing well enough to allow a few of the bairns to join in.

18. Deleted #

knock a few years off that, mate.

grandpops likes this.
  19. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Who else would make ours stronger whose available ? Looks as good as its gonna be, maybe OShea at centre back and Deneyar into mid field.

20. Deleted #

Denayer into midfield, I think he struggles somewhat in centre defence. Djilobodji generally struggles when he hasn't got Kone next to him.

Just shows how much we are struggling.