1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sunderland pay Miliband £125,000 for 15 days' work

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Makemstine Roger, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

Sunderland pay Miliband more than Saha! as Labour MP earns £125,000 for 15 days' work

David Miliband is raking in the equivalent of £42,000 a week from Sunderland, more than the Black Cats' £40,000-a-week striker Louis Saha.
    The former foreign secretary has earned £125,000 for 15 days’ work since becoming a director of the Stadium of Light club in February 2011.
    That’s the equivalent of nearly £42,000 a week, or more than £2.1million a year.

David Miliband earns the equivalent of £42,000 a week from Sunderland FC since becoming a director of football last year
    This pro-rata figure is higher than defender Titus Bramble's £30,000-a-week deal and even surpasses that of France international Saha.
    In total, the South Shields Labour MP has registered nearly £1million of outside earnings since the 2010 Labour election.
    After losing the Labour leadership to his younger brother Ed, Mr Miliband went on to make £985,315 from the public speaking circuit and his work as an adviser.
    The figure, drawn from the register of MPs’ interests, includes hospitality, travel and gifts.
    But critics have questioned Mr Miliband’s focus since losing the leadership contest. They say he has become a ghost-like figure at Westminster, attending fewer than half the votes in the Commons chamber and speaking in just 11 debates in one year.

Wages: David Miliband pro rata salary is more than Sunderland striker Louis Saha, left, and defender Titus Bramble, right
    Mr Miliband has found time to attend international summits and embark on speaking engagements.
    He has made nearly £65,000 from the United Arab Emirates ministry of foreign affairs, and nearly £83,000 from the London Speaker Bureau.
    Energy Investment firm VantagePoint Capital Partners has paid Mr Miliband close to £117,000 for consultancy work.
    The money is on top of his MP’s salary of £65,000. Mr Miliband’s earnings dwarf those of his constituents, who averaged just £19,281 last year.
    Sunderland FC appointed Mr Miliband last February, despite the senior MP being a life-long supporter of Arsenal.
    The club, which made a £6.2 million loss last year, is at risk of relegation after poor performances.
    Conservative Party chairman Grant Shapps questioned whether Mr Miliband provided value for money.
    He said: ‘With a fee like that you’d expect to see David Miliband on the pitch! Per appearance, he’s on a par with players like Saha. Sunderland should red card this behaviour.’
    A spokesman for Mr Miliband said: ‘Outside earnings are submitted to the register of members’ interests which is rightly available to the public to view.’

2. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Ten years wages for some <bubbly>

3. its been fun thanks :)

its been fun thanks :) ♬♬Badum-tish! ♬♬
    Forum Moderator

No worries because 'We are all in this together' ...

4. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

112k a week on a finished Saha, failed politician and a fooking rapist.

Get rid of all 3 of them for me, thats ridiculous money.

5. Moorsleymountainman

Moorsleymountainman Active Member

Sign of the times. Everything to do with football (especially the prem) is just huge money. Paid fantastic money for failure, for advice, for being averge,for having mates. However the ones that are worth it are on astronomical money. As for Milliband, one big heap of steaming ****e.

6. giaccomo

giaccomo Member

i dont know what he does for his salary but mayb e he does a lot of work we dont get to hear about, does anyone know.

7. froggy1973

froggy1973 Well-Known Member

Who's the rapist?

8. joeisonfire

joeisonfire Well-Known Member

I remember Quinny talking about him a while back. He said the links he has and the input he has are second to none, he did not want a salary but Ellis short insisted on it, so he could call upon him for work if and when required

9. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

Titus Bramble

10. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

I assume that he was involved in the Invest in Africa deal. Even tho' that is a hell of salary for a part time job

11. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Sad reality (or lack of) in the world of football.

One thing I don't understand about football is that the manager, most of the time, gets less money than a lot of the players that he manages. I know that my manager earns more than everyone she manages and a football manager, inevitably pays the price for a poor performance by these higher paid people?

If only footballers and managers knew what it was like living in the real world close to the breadline (like I reckon most of us do?)

12. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

What a ****ing disgrace.

13. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

your not wrong there Albert wish i was a fiver behind him

14. froggy1973

froggy1973 Well-Known Member

Think you'll find he's never been convicted all charges dropped so therefore he's not a rapist.

15. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

83 as has been said Milliband didn't want money and was a big reason behind us getting the 4th highest sponsorship deal ever in world football so I can't see how that's a waste if any money. As for referring to Bramble as a rapist!! Ha'way man, classless

ACS, I agree the money involved in football is a disgrace but, relatively speaking, this is not really that bad when you think of the amount he made the club.

16. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Let's vote this greedy **** out then lads. He's a disgrace and taking the piss by even standing as an MP at the next election.
    I ran my fat arsed bollocks into the ground to give Macmillan £2k in the last great North Run so it boils my piss when ****ers like him take the piss so openly and earn 500x that for doing **** all..
    He might as well wear a T Shirt with L-O-L right across it.

(sorry for my pissed rant but It's true).

17. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

he's not on 42000 a week tho is he. he earned a fixed fee of £125k for 15 days work. if that was part of our sponsorship deal, it's a drop in the ocean.

i am surprised Saha is on much as he is tho......what's the source of this?

18. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

I think he should be running the Labour Party personally ACS. I agree with your sentiment but, footballers and politicians are so far removed from you and me and other common men that we will never know much about this. I personally think all politicians are twats but hey, what can we do!!

19. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

The out of Africa deal is worth £20m to the club.

We have made huge strides into breaking into international markets and increasing the clubs global profile and David Milliband has been pivotal in all that.

Short wouldn't just be paying him for the hell of it and to have earned that kind of dough he would have had to show his worth.

Some people need to just take a deep breath and grasp the nettle here. If we are to grow and develop the club outside of the regional scope, then having people like a former British Foreign Secretary of HM Govt on our board is a massive coup. Powerful, influential people attract large wages.

Look beyond his earnings and see the benefits. If you added what Saha, Ji, McFadden and Brown took out of SAFC in the same period for what they have all contributed to the club (why is no one up in arms about them?), I think I'd prefer Millibands input.

20. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

I'm powerful, Attractive and influential (according to my Kid and my Missus) so am I worth that sort of money :D