1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer transfers

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, May 19, 2016.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

So it potentially starts, Webster supposedly on his way from Pompey ( he's very highly rated a ball playing right sided CB ) so should he come I'd imagine he'll partner Smith next season in a much more balanced back 4. Left/right footed cbs together, and in theory Skuse would get the ball a hell of a lot more to do things with.

Rumours Berra may be off to Scotland, to be honest I think now may be a good time for him to go he was poor a lot of last season and would be a big earner.

Clarke rumoured to be going the other way, however Webster is v highly rated and at times Clarke wasn't always in the Pompey side. We cannot develop every youngster, Mick likes Digby ( clean sheet at Boro ) so perhaps he'll have a good season next year.

Always good to get one in early anyway. Thoughts?

2. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I don't know anything about the lad you're talking about but I agree with what you say, I wouldn't be too fussed if Berra were to leave. I would rather Smith returned to the left side.

3. ostlan

ostlan Active Member

I see Emile Heskey has left Bolton but I can't see MM signing him as he's only 38! ;)

4. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Thinking about the squad we have, I really can't see any of the 'established' defenders leaving. We have released Yorwerth and Polish Pete as well as trading Clarke, Bringing in Webster in return. That is 3 out and 1 in. If Berra (or any of the defenders) were to leave I would expect us to need to bring in another body in that position, which wouldn't be worthwhile, unless Mick has highlighted another target.

I expect we'll start with Webster, Smith and Berra as our first team defenders battling it out for two positions. Digby and Robinson will be loaned out and Chambers will be considered as additional centre back cover (whilst still showing his lack of composure as a right back)

That way giving us 4 competent centre backs at the club while Digby & Robinson go out and gain some experience as I wouldn't expect Mick to be relying too much on them so early. Even Digby who Mick rates has only played a handful of games at centre back and Mick isn't going to want to go into a league campaign with the lingering worry of having a lack of depth in such a key area. Though I would expect that Digby and Webster are being lined up to replace Berra in a years time when both have developed into first team capable players

5. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Is the Webster deal done yet?

6. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Apparently.

Clarke has supposedly had a medical at Pompey and Webster was seen at the club last week (apparently signing the deal)

The window doesn't officially open until July 1st so I would imagine that neither club are in a hurry to either announce or push over the line (if still not done). Also, with a player exchange there is probably more complexities, but as far as the reports go. The deal is all but done and just waiting for the photoshoots with players holding the shirts of their respective new clubs.

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM likes this.
  7. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Next seasons defence will be...

Chambers
    Smith
    Berra
    Knudsen

8. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Should be,

Emmanuel
    Webster
    Berra
    Kenlock

Imo!

Think many are being harsh on Berra, for most of season he had to cover for Smith and Knudsen as well as do his own job!
    Berra is a top defender and with the right people beside him, he will prove so next season!

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  9. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Cheers Scowey .