1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer transfer 2017

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by General Melchett, Mar 16, 2017.

1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

This is something I posted a few weeks ago -
    GK – try to persuade Rudd to return, plus 1
    RB – Pinto. Ramsay, Rusty as EMERGENCY cover, plus 1
    LB – Tofollo (if he can make the step up), Jamal Lewis, plus 2
    CB – Efete, ??????
    DMF – Thompson, Godfrey, Grant, Crowe, Tettey as EMERGENCY cover
    AMF – JM, Howson, Pritchard, Murphy twins, Adams, Jaiyesimi, Middleton as EMERGENCY cover
    Striker – Basil, Morris, Ashley-Seal, Jerome as EMERGENCY cover

OK, it may be asking a lot of the youf to plug the gaps caused by our ineffective recruitment for the past 3 or 4 seasons, but WHY have a 'cat 1 academy' if you're not going to give the products of it a chance?????
    My major concern is LB and I'm hoping we can persuade dijks to stay, but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

ncgandy likes this.
  2. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

I didn't mention many of the youth I'd like to see, because the club obviously don't care about it.

Why weren't the youth given a go today!? They don't acknowledge them as part of a squad.

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

AI said (as has been echoed many times before) that it's dangerous to 'rush them in too quickly as that could damage their development'.
    This is just plain bollox - as soon as we get to next season proper, and even the pre-season games, the strongest eleven will start every week as we'll once again have something to play for. So if they don't get even a short run out in these last few meaningless games with nothing riding on our season, they never bloody well will <grr>

4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

<applause>
    JM has played in the pressure of Aberdeen V Rangers (which is only just below the cauldron of 'Old Firm' games) and has also played in the Scottish equivalent of the League Cup final at Hampden Park!!!!

canary-dave likes this.
  5. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

I'm all for giving youth a chance, but it needs to be controlled development you can't just throw half a dozen or so youth players into the team and expect instant results. Yes I know our U23 are doing very well, but they are playing other U23 teams. There is a big gulf between U23 level and the championship. Yes we have a cat 1 academy, but we haven't had it for that long and I think we are still a few years off before it can start bearing fruit. I think we need to get rid of our deadwood, which we have a lot of, get in some seasoned professionals established at this level and patiently manage the introduction of our youth players in a controlled and methodical manner.

Whilst I agree with AI that it could be counter productive to rush them too quickly, it could also be counter productive to not play youth until they are ready. Godfrey, JM and Thompson if not injured must be close as they've been on the bench. So I can't see why they shouldn't be given a few games each until the end of the season to show what they can do and assist in their continued development. Having said that I can also see an arguement for not letting them get anywhere near the first team in case they go downhill.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    JM Fan and DHCanary like this.
  6. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To offer my $0.02 on youth, I think some credit has to be given to the club for the way they've handled the Murphy's. Yes there's some fans that were screaming for them to have a chance two seasons ago, but it's clear that Jacob in particular has benefited hugely from his loan spells, and his introduction to the first team has worked pretty seamlessly. Two years ago I don't think we'd have seen that, he would have been more nervous, made more mistakes and suffered more abuse, which would have hampered his development. It's clear to me that his development away from Carrow Road has contributed hugely to him overtaking Josh in the pecking order, he's become a much more rounded player.

With our other youth players, I think Maddison has had a similar apprenticeship, and deserves a chance. His path being blocked by strong senior players is a result of poor recruitment and fortune with injuries. Thompson I think we'd have seen more of as the season progressed had he not been injured, and I expect him to be regularly involved in the first team next season.

Beyond that, as CarrowCanario points out, there's a massive gulf between U23's and championship football. I'd really like to see a lot of the young stars of that team out on loan to league 1 next season, so they can follow a similar trajectory to the Murphy's. Given how the form of young players can vary, I don't see a few appearances in the remaining games this season convincing Webber (or Irvine) that Godfrey. Adams, Efete, Ramsay, etc should be considered full members of a 25-man squad for next season. There's probably equal value in Webber being convinced that Bassong, Bennett, Tettey, Whittaker, Naismith, etc...should be moved on this summer. And when finances will be tight this summer, making a mistake in retaining one of those will be much more costly!

Finally, there's a difference between our youth showing they don't look out of place in the championship, and showing that they can be game changers and help us push for promotion. With that undeniably our aim for next season, that has to be the standard that our senior players are judged by. For next season we're going to need a full, competitive squad. Keeping a youngster with us (rather than out on loan) who isn't trusted to help a promotion push, is probably going to damage their development rather than aid it.

7. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Great post, but the 25 man squad only applies in the Prem., there's no limit in the Championship! <ok>

8. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Quite true, I meant 25 man squad purely as a nominal appropriate number of senior players that you could reasonably expect to use and keep happy over a season. The youngsters we choose to keep as part of our senior squad next season need to be in place of another senior player, rather than in addition to. Otherwise they either won't get the game time, or we'll have an expensive senior player sat in our reserves. We've had enough of those this season!

carrowcanario and canary-dave like this.
  9. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Great posts canario and DH and I have to agree that the likes of Efete, Ramsay, Adams and a few others HAVE to be loaned out to League 1 clubs next season to aid their development.
    Maddison should be on the bench as a minimum for the games against Preston and QPR at least, whereas both Godfrey and Thompson have appeared for the first team (albeit briefly) already this season.
    As has been said, THE priority is offloading the 'deadwood' who are out of contract and possibly trying to move on some of the players who don't have much to offer to the team.

carrowcanario and canary-dave like this.
  10. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Good discussion this. IMO, we need two established players at each position plus a youth player as well. From our present squad:

GK Ruddy, McGovern, Rudd or Matthews
    RB Pinto, Martin, Ramsey
    CB Martin, Bennett, Effete
    CB Klose (if he stays), New Player, Godfrey
    LB Dijks(hopefully), New LB, Toffolo
    CM Howson, Dorrans, McGrandles or Adams
    DM Tettey, Thompson, Godfrey
    WL Wildschut, Naismith, Josh Murphy
    ACM Hoolahan, Pritchard, Maddison
    WR Jacob Murphy, Jarvis, Jaiyesimi
    S Jerome, Olivera, New Player, Morris

That list is notional and if any player on it leaves (in addition to the 5 senior players out of contract) then the 3 new players indicated will need to be increased accordingly. It may be that SW will identify younger players who will take precedence over the youth players indicated above and possibly other senior players will leave and have to be replaced, but until they do we won't know how that might go. My preference would be for quality at the key positions (CB, LB, Striker) rather than a massive clear out. Although I've listed Martin as first choice CB, I don't think he will be because if we recruit a new left-sided CB, Klose (or his replacement) would shift to right-sided CB alongside the new left-sided CB. Early days, but that's how I see it.

11. Forgot_My_Lines

Forest in relegation threat. I'd love to see us make a proper job of pushing for Brit Assombalonga.

Another striker option: What do you recon the chances of a loan for Tammy Abraham from Chelski (Currently blazing at Bristol City 21 goals in 36 starts) Also really like Clayton Donaldson at Brum

LB I'd love Charlie Taylor from Leeds, but think he would only leave for a Solid Premiership club. (I just looked up Harry Toffolo and see he has had 21 starts and scored 2 goals. Good lad) Toffolo as the 2nd choice LB next season I'd like to see.
    I also really like Josh Tymon 17 year old LB at Hull City. He's going to be quality.

CB I would love us to look at Ezri Konsa 19 year old CB at Charlton. They are in all kinds of trouble. Give him an escape route before a bigger club raises their interest.
    Kortney Hause at Wolves. Another young Talented CB
    Tomas Kalas On loan from Chelski? On loan at Fulham currently.
    Nathan Smith - Young talented CB at Port Vale, big potential.

Wingers I think we are ok. As long as we don't sell Jacob, Josh, Pritchard. If we need a winger/attacking midfielder Ben Osborn at Forest is a class act.

CM/DCM I really, really rate Ronaldo Vieira at Leeds. 18 year old with a massive future.
    John Swift at Reading? Reminds me of Howson.
    Josh Vela at Bolton.
    Ben Thompson At Millwall is brilliant. 21 year old all rounder who work-rate and stamina is very impressive.
    Leonardo De Silva-Lopez at Peterborough is very exciting. Future Premiership talent.

Like I said last summer, I really like Alan Judge at Brentford. He would add so much Creativity and set pieces. I'd be surprised if a promoted side or a team like Bournemouth or West Brom don't go for him.
    If he gets snapped up or too expensive Bradley Dack at Gillingham is a similar type of player, just not as good. Still would be good in the Championship.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    JM Fan likes this.
  12. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

So FML, you are advocating buying a load of kids? What then happens to our own kids? Surely any purchases this summer must be fairly established rather than young prospects.

carrowcanario likes this.
  13. Forgot_My_Lines

Our kids aren't getting a chance, obviously aren't fancied. These kids have many, many first team games experience already. They are kids, but they are experienced and progressing. I would have our kids with them, get rid of players like Bassong, Whittaker, Turner, Mulumbu, etc.

I'd have been starting players like Godfrey, Maddison, Josh, Efete for the past 5-10 games. It's just not happening.

(Brit, Donaldson,Judge, Dack, Osborn,Vela etc are established)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  14. RiverEndRick

Interesting list FML. I suggested going for Tammy Abraham back when we played Bristol City. He'd make an excellent third option at striker on loan from Chelsea. BC also have a good left-sided CB who could suit our needs. As AI indicated in the Pink'un article, the young players are pushing for game time, but it does have to be done properly for their sake.

JM Fan likes this.
  15. Forgot_My_Lines

It is isn't it! :emoticon-0110-tongu:emoticon-0105-wink:

Who is the CB you are thinking of?

16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

As I've said previously Rick, JM had had ALL the exposure he needs when up at Aberdeen and I'm sure Godfrey could step up to the plate instead of RB. Yes, we need to be wary of pushing them in before they're ready, but those 2 at least should feature both at Preston and on the last day of the season!!!!

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  17. RiverEndRick

Hörður Björgvin Magnússon: He's 24 and can play at either left CB or LB and thus would provide another option behind Dijks (if he stays).

His Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hörður_Björgvin_Magnússon

I have them both on the bench in my line-up prediction for tomorrow, JMF. I'm pretty sure Wes will sit this one out and AI made it pretty clear that JM would have been on the bench if he hadn't picked up a knock in training before the Fulham game. Klose is injured, so Godfrey could also get his chance.

JM Fan likes this.
  18. Forgot_My_Lines

Ah yes, he is quality. Really good on the ball. Plays like a Midfielder. I agree, he is a kind of target we should be pushing hard for.

19. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Never heard of him - but I'll be influenced by you and Rick. Sign him up!!

20. Forgot_My_Lines

He's very similar type of player to Djiks. 6'3, strong, good in the air. But he's got the touch and the passing. Pretty rare for a player like that to be left in the Championship. Good call Rick, didn't think of him. But now I want him!