1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer of Discontent..

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM, May 1, 2016.

1. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

I think this is a big summer for Marcus Evans and Mick........ME needs to prove he is still interested and at least invest a moderate amount into the starting eleven.....and MM needs to try to win over a growing proportion of the fans.

Nuggets and whitestallionblue73 like this.
  2. yorkiegit

yorkiegit Active Member

I can't understand why a lot of people are so upbeat about yesterday's result
    So MM played a couple of youngsters when the season is over and there's no pressure He even gave a couple of them the freedom to express themselves
    Is this likely to happen next season ? Not a chance, MM will still churn out the same dross he has for the last couple of years

If these youngsters are as promising as we all hope then we definitely need a new manager this summer before MM ruins any kids with potential

No I'm not overly excited about yesterday and to be honest I have zero excitement about next season while MM is still here

This vampire is sucking the life out of my club and this particular supporter

Mick out

3. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Yorkie,agree with that 100%.

4. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I heard someone took a sign to the match yesterday saying the club lacked ambition, whilst I don't particularly like to see this, I think it is true both on and off the pitch. If we are expected to be at the upper levels of the league we need to spend a bit more and increase the quality on the pitch but this also needs to be the case on the pitch, why do we sit back against teams at home? We show a lack of ambition in games and a lack of intent which has nothing to do with the quality of player we have it's down to the manager. Teams and players will not fulfil their potential by playing this direct poor football, it limits what you can achieve.

I've always made my thoughts clear on Mick, he frustrates the hell out of me and I think he takes the fun out of football however despite this both him and ME offer stability for the club at the end of the day Mick is a good manager he just limits his own and clubs potential by his dire style of football and always backing effort in the transfer market over quality. Wolves fans criticised him at the end of his time there because he spent a fair amount of money in his last season but didn't improve the quality on show. If he was to leave given the squad we have it would make me very nervous that we could become relegation candidates overnight, similarly if ME was to leave look at some other clubs the owners they have who sack managers willy nilly and mismanage clubs. As things stand with both ME and Mick in charge we are quite stable and I'd worry that it would come back to bite us in the butt... the grass isn't always greener!!

One thing which has been highlighted recently is that our wage has increased by 25% since Mick has been here. In response to arguments about a lack of investment, to me that doesn't bring much comfort!! How the hell with the squad we have have our wages increased that much!!??!! whilst it is quite a settled squad and we have fairly consistent performers (you know you're going to get the workrate there) we really lack quality.

Next season we need to get rid of some of the squad players who seem to be not good enough quality to get into the first team but are blocking the chance for youngsters to come in and get a bit of game time. For me the summer is about getting some quality in, in key positions, getting rid of senior pro's who aren't going to be in the first team and then allowing some of the youngsters to step up to the mark.

I have to say Bart has convinced me that we don't neccessarily need a new GK for next season but I do hope Mick plays him all season (although Gerkin did show good form). I still feel, although the youngsters played well yesterday we could do with some quality in the full back position, I'm still not convinced by Knudson. We need some wingers and wingers that will actually be given a chance week in week out. And for me we do not neccessarily need creativity in the CM positions, I think Bishop, Bru and potentially Dozzell could pick this up and to get a senior player in these positions would stunt their progression, I really feel we need a midfield general in there, like a magilton who will always demand the ball and dominate games so we can actually keep the ball and take the pressure off sometimes. I honestly think Skuse could play that role however until he and Mick change their mentality (which I doubt they will) we're not going to have that player.

Whilst I'm fairly pleased with our striking options I wouldn't rule out getting some extra quality there.

Nuggets and whitestallionblue73 like this.
  5. yorkiegit

yorkiegit Active Member

Unfortunately regardless of what quality we do manage to bring in(and would quality players want to come and play for MM, knowing the brand Of non football he promotes) I can't see any changes to the style and tactics that are so evidently needed

6. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

As yorkie says, once there are meaningful points to play for again it wouldn't surprise me if Mick reverted to type and used his 'tried and tested' players again next season.

whitestallionblue73 likes this.
  7. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think we need to sign a right back, a central midfielder, a couple of attacking/wide players (crucial areas as we look weak out wide), and maybe another striker to come in. We should keep blooding the youth and give them game time should they impress in training/U21 matches, rather than persist with out-of-form favourites.

In return, I really think we should clear out/look to offload Tabb, Douglas, Coke, Toure, Varney, and one of McGoldrick or Murphy to free up wages. Thankfully Malarczyk has gone and, to a lesser extent, Yorwerth has also been released.

Regarding the manager, I can't see us firing McCarty, because it will be too costly. Instead, the board should give him a decent, competitive transfer budget, but insist that playing attractive football, giving youth a chance, and improving on this season's points total are the minimum requirements. Should McCarthy be linked to other clubs, the board should not stand in his way, and plan a couple of contingencies to approach as quickly as possible, should McCarthy leave. In that instance, a young, more progressive and adaptable manager should be kept in mind.

8. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I can't see Mick leaving this summer, and I think (in his own unique way) he will realise the sides shortcomings and add some depth in the areas we need most.. Which is most definitely in the wide areas. We need atleast 2 new wingers/wide midfielders to join, if not more. If we were to start the new season tomorrow we would be so short on numbers AND quality out wide it's quite alarming.

I have an inkling Berra will leave, giving Chambo the chance to move back to centre half, or alternatively give Digby or Clarke an opportunity to stake a claim. I can see Foley being offered a new deal as he can cover a number of positions and would be an option at right back along with Chambo & Emmanuel.

Other than that I don't see us needing to go berserk. Some quality wide players to allow other players to play their natural game and we will start seeing more opportunities for the front men.

I expect this place to be deserted this summer, there seems to be a few who are already noticeably quieter and there won't be that much excitement in the transfer market to stoke the fires of enthusiasm.

9. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

To be fair to MM he did try to add quality out wide in Frazer, AMN,Toure

10. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I agree. I think we all thought that we had a good Summer in the transfer market, I don't think we did badly, just not enough in numbers (or not the right balance)

AMN was a huge positive early in the season but then seems to have tailed off quite drastically. Fraser was a fantastic signing but we paid the price for not having a realistic back up for when they both were unable to play. I accept the Oar wanting out made this situation worse, but having 2 loanees, one of which is so green he was never likely to perform at a high level for 40 games a season with no real alternative to step in without altering the shape and style of play has left us so vulnerable this season to injuries. In fact far more so than last.

A perfect example is that last season, we had SHunt, Tabb, Ando & Parr who were all able to do the same job when called upon (albeit not an exciting one) but atleast we were consistent in our approach for the whole season. when we lost Fraser this season we had no one who could come close to the way he played. Therefore we have to lurch from one plan to another wholly dependent on who was available, which is only going to damage momentum and continuity in the team and led to some of the most dull performance I have seen in recent years.

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM likes this.

11. Bigalreigned

Echoing what Scowey said about the board being quiet,I am in Asia for the next ten weeks and may lurk occasionally,but will be back just before the start of the new season.

12. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Holiday or work Bigal....?

13. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Have fun and take care <ok>

Bigalreigned likes this.
  14. Bigalreigned

Holiday,I never did the back packing thing as a youngster,so I'm making up for lost time!

15. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Have fun mate....

Bigalreigned likes this.
  16. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Mick really did try to add width - he wasn't to know when he signed the four that -

* Tommy Oar isn't mentally strong enough for footy.
    * Fraser would be injured twice.
    * Niles would start well then lose his way.
    * Toure wouldn't be fit all season, and to be honest probably not be good enough.

I was more than happy with our summer recruitment last year I have to say - add to that the fact McGoldrick was out a lot of the season, Murphy in/out, Bishop out all year and there we go.

I'm quite happy at some youngsters being given a go - sure the seasons done, but be interesting to see what happens with several next year. I like McCarthy's comments re " who is the best RB will be the best RB " - a hint to me he's looking and it could be the end of Chambo there.

Unhappy Hyam / Douglas are staying. Annoyed Coke has another year, he'll be Tabb mark 2. ANOTHER year for Stewart too........

We're clearly going to get at least 2 wide boys in this summer. Perhaps sign 4/5 and go again. I have faith next season we'll not make the same mistakes as this and give more of a seasoned campaign. Appears after Bolton this seasons gone down the toilet rapidly which is .......... well yeah we all know how we feel about that.

I have to say I'll always get behind a manager however next season my patience may be tested if -

* We play EXACTLY the same brand of footy as this season. I don't expect pretty triangles or sexy footy under Mick or anyone - look at Atletico ( and don't think I'm comparing us ) but they show you don't need the ball you need to be organised and they get results any week. I do expect slightly more asthetically pleasing footy next season though.... and I think we'll play it.

* Mental collapse like this.

* Terrible start.

* Continually playing players who do not deserve to play for no apparent reason.

Very interested to see what we do this summer.

17. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think you're being a little harsh on Tommy Oar there, Westy. He's a talented player, and someone who has a good playing career at other clubs on mainland Europe, particularly in Holland. I just don't think he liked our style of football (his agent suggested as much) and wasn't Mick's type of player. A shame, because I had pretty high hopes for him when it was announced we beat a host of other clubs to his signature. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't.

Malarczyk, Tabb, and Varney all leaving is a good indication that we're clearing out the deadwood. Hopefully we can shift Douglas, Toure, Coke, and Stewart too, and promote the likes of Kenlock, Emmanuel, Clarke, McDonnell, and Dozzell. However, if we're targeting promotion next season (and that should always be the ultimate objective for us), then I think we're going to need a new right-back, central midfielder, and a couple of wingers. If we can get the right blend of youth and experience, splash a bit of cash, and make a couple of inspired free signings (players like Jack Payne at Southend are the type of freebies we should be considering), then I can see us becoming more of a consistent threat to the top six next season.

It looks like McCarthy is set to stay. I don't mind him in charge if he's willing to play the style of football we had at the start of the season, and I guess the summer recruitment will offer us an indication of that. Our collapses seem to occur around the half-way mark of the season (or at least that's been the case over the past couple of years).

itfcptc likes this.
  18. Westlake33

I don't.

Tommy knew exactly what he was getting himself into before signing for us! Awwww on the bench a few times, I'm not playing any more springs to mind.

Fair play to him for leaving early and deciding it wasn't for him. Think he was quite good with the contract but his agent wasn't shy in having petty digs about us and I wouldn't want someone like that representing me. It also wouldn't make me want to go anywhere near him if I was a club in this country trying to sign him again.

He's playing in a crap league and if he wants to do that rather than test himself and hide then that's up to him.

January on ( particularly post Bolton ) well it just hasn't happened. Management team, use your brains wisely this summer.

19. Westlake33

On a more positive note, lets see how the likes of Kenlock / Emmanuel / McDonnell / Dozzell get on over the summer and what next season has instore for them. It's fantastic to see the academy churning again, then we have the likes of Matt Clarke to potentially come in if deemed good enough ( no idea how he's got on at Pompey but I did hear he'd lost his place at one point ) plus Joe Robinson etc.

With the loan system having changed for next season we may be in quite a good position to give some of these a go.

Delighted Toure/ Varney/ Tabb have all gone. Coke/ Stewart I wish would bugger off - seems Stewart is going to be released expensively this summer so good luck to him in the future.

Not amused Hyam is staying to be honest think we can do better. I DON'T MIND Douglas in a THREE MAN Cm/ same as Bru but neither are good enough for one reason or other IMO in a 4-4-2 with wingers alongside Skuse.

Here's hoping McGoldrick / Bishop can feature for most of next season too.

20. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I see QPR have released Faurlin, in my mind he is exactly the kind of midfielder we need, not neccessarily an attacking midfielder (as I feel this would be to the detriment of Dozzell and Bishop) but a playmaker to replace or support the very one dimensional Skuse

Last edited: May 9, 2016