1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Substitutions.

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by pirate49, Jul 21, 2011.

1. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The news today that we will be reverting to 5, rather than 7, subs applies of course to all teams in our league; but the implications for us bear thinking about.

Buckle has assembled a largish squad, the vast majority of whom will expect to be in or around the selected team.

There's also the players from last season and the up-and-coming youngsters. Keeping them all involved is going to be hard.

For the sake of argument let's say that the 16 chosen for a match will be:
    Bevan, Smith, Bolger, Virgo, L Brown, Zebroski, Gill, Stanley, Carayol, McGleish, Harrold, Cronin, Campbell, Lines, Anyinsah, Richards.

That still leaves W Brown, Swallow, Reece, Anthony, Clough, Boateng, Kuffour, McLaggon, Powell, Jefferies, Sawyer etc. Buckle has also spoken about possibly signing one more defender.

More reserve games will be part of an answer, but that will not keep people happy long term. I'm sure he will try to use a limited rotation policy.

Who would have thought a few months ago this would have been an issue ?

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

i just read that on bbc and was going to make a thread on it <laugh>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14237653.stm

i think 7 subs are better than 5 as it allows 1 or 2 youth players a chance to get on and learn experience if the team have a good winning margain. if teams cant get 7 subs then they just have 6 subs or 5 subs like they do anyway. i think this new rule will stop younger players developing.

3. Rhinestone Gashead

Charlie Reece has been told he can leave the club - so that's one less to worry about! Good luck Charlie - hope you get another chance with another club somewhere.

4. pirate49

Forum Moderator

I'm not really surprised about Charlie Reece. Against Mangotsfield he looked off the pace; and anyone who has seen any of the pre-seasons can see that Zebroski, Carayol, Anyinsah and McLaggon are a class above and would always be ahead in the pecking order. Swallow will have to be at the top of his game to get a look-in.

5. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I think Buckle will need to rotate the squad carefully so that all the players stay motivated and match fit - something Trolls wasn't very good at doing.

We'll also probably need a cup run or two so that the squad stay involved and interested.

6. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

roll on january for the gasheads clearance sale. matty h could be on a free one

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

dont think we be letting the leagues top scorer go for free in jan. :)

8. Jenny!

Jenny! Member

Does it not concern you that having such a large group of individuals who've not played that much football together, may take time to gel?

9. pirate49

Forum Moderator

They are well chosen...and the pre-season has shown that they are settling in well. 'No worries', as they say.

10. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

are you keeping an eye on the gulls pre season results. i have 10p that says the gulls will finish above the gasheads come may. does 1 goal now class matty h as the leagues top scorer. he used to score in shrewsbury but not necessarily on the pitch. i do hope he has the energy to make the january sales along with many of paul the power buckles signings.