1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Stuart Webber Confirmed As Sporting Director

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by royalbarclayfan, Apr 6, 2017.

1. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Hoolahan only really developed into the player we know now when Lambert moved him in from left midfield to CAM

2. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

I agree, there can't be any room for sentiment in football. Especially with talented players like Pritchard and Maddison waiting in the wings

JM Fan and goldeneadie like this.
  3. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I do not believe that to be the case. From my memory he played centrally for Blackpool. It was only Norwich managers who wanted to play him on the left' Next season Pritchard must be the main man. Against Reading he scored two excellent goals from distance, one with either foot. He is more proactive than Wes, and is more dynamic. And he is,I believe, some 11 years younger. We must stop, as fans, this idolatory of players beyond their natural life cycle.

4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I hope you've got your 'flak jacket' on GE, but I 100% agree with you.
    AP is a far better player all round (yes, Wes has been outstanding AT TIMES), but I'm almost certain that the Archant scribes have chosen AP as their MotM on at least 3 of the last 4 games. When Wes scores it's nearly always from inside the 18 yard area and mostly from within 6 yards as both his goals were on Saturday (Yes, I know a goal is a goal wherever it's scored from!!!!), but we SOOOO often lose the ball or the shot is blocked within the 18 yard area.

5. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Poor Wes, he may as well **** off now if you listen to all this.

JM Fan and KIO like this.
  6. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

There's no-one who despises sentimentality in football more than me, however it is often said of young players that if 'they're good enough, they're old enough.' Well as I see it you can reverse that for Wes because in my opinion if 'he's good enough, he's young enough' he's still one of our best players as his performances this term have shown.

Carry On Wes !

General Melchett, Rich44 and ncgandy like this.
  7. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I fell out of love a bit with Wes over the "Norwich are ****" Villagate episode. He can be brilliant for a part of one game, then go missing for several more.

You have to guess which match he'll perform ok in!

JM Fan and carrowcanario like this.
  8. ncgandy

Of all the crap in this team, I'm surprised he's singled out for criticism, 'tis all.

9 years solid service, despite the widely over-boiled 'villagate', he's given me more pleasure than any other over the years.

He has another year on his contract, so suck it up. Guy deserves some respect. <ok>

9. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

That is preposterous, quite clearly caused by a tipsy orangutan!

Bah!

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

ONLY on occasions though.
    Whilst I'm happy for him to see out his contract, I hope he won't be starting many games next season.

11. ncgandy

No-one's saying he's the future, he clearly isn't - that will hopefully be Pritchard and Maddison (I think he exists, I've seen clips! :emoticon-0105-wink: ). I just think he gets a lot of unfair criticism, he doesn't go missing any more than the rest of this hapless bunch. <ok>

KIO likes this.
  12. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, no doubt slightly biased by your Irish heritage (;))

An opposite opinion is just that, an opinion and just as entitled and not meant to be disrespectful! <ok>

13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Spot on gandy and when he's fresh (as he was against Reading), he is a real asset to the team.
    Rusty on the other hand ..........

KIO and ncgandy like this.
  14. ncgandy

Not if it conflicts with mine! :grin:

JM Fan and canary-dave like this.
  15. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

Fighting talk there gandy.

ncgandy likes this.
  16. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

When Wes played for Blackpool against us he played on the left, but he may have played centrally in other games for them. My recollection is that PL brought in the diamond formation so that he could move Wes to the middle as well as playing two strikers. I agree with KIO that team selection should be made according to the best team for that game regardless of age or sentiment. Creative players will always vary in performance because of the demanding nature of their role and the difference between Reading and yesterday showed that in both players, neither of whom played particularly well yesterday compared to their blinders against Reading. IMO, Pritchard needs the competition from Wes to develop further. He has the great advantage of being two footed, but Wes has experience and a natural instinct for the right pass which AP sometimes lacks. Given that Wes is 34, Maddison will certainly be getting chances sooner rather than later, especially now that even any mathematical chance of the play-offs is gone.

DHCanary, ncgandy and JM Fan like this.