1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Striker Talk

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

A lot of talk about top class strikers doing the rounds at the moment.

It seems we're after Griezmann, and he would be a great signing, but considering Aguero, Aubameyang and Lukaku are all also rumoured to be moving on this summer, would we go after one of those also?

It would no doubt stunt the development of Rashford and Martial but Aguero would be a superb signing in my opinion.

Or do we go for a No.9 to replace Zlatan, which would be Lukakau or Aubameyang?

#Thoughts?

Wake the board up ffs!!

2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Aubameyang has his heart set on Real, would City sell Aguero to you? Lukaku is realistic and is so hot and cold is he really good enough?

3. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

I just get the feeling that Lukaku would be one of those hot and cold strikers - one good season for two mediocre ones, and for me we would need one other, more consistent striker to compliment him. Whether that would be Rashford or Ibra I don't know, but I can seriously see Martial leaving in the Summer. Reading between the lines I can see how our qualification for CL football might have a bearing on whether Greizman comes - one more season out of the competition might start the alarm bells ringing for a player who would not be short of options.

4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't really want Lukaku or Aubameyang if truth be told but a forward pair of Griezemann and Aguero would be immense.

Unlikely, I know, but you never know.

5. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Can't see Mourinho going for an orthodox forward pairing - he seems set on the 433 now. Griezmann is the most likely option as he will be able to play up front or as a wide attacker, giving us more options.

Aguero would be great as the out and out striker, although injury prone. Suppose that could fit quite well with Zlatan - the two can be rotated depending on who is fit and what we need in each game, and bringing one off the bench when struggling would be immense. But I can't see City selling to us - even if they want rid he's enough of a fan favourite that they won't want to piss the fans off more by selling him to us.

Wouldn't really want Lukaku or Aubameyang either - if we are going to hold Rashford or Martial back even a little then it should be for a world class striker, and those pair don't qualify imo.

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Agreed, the potential of Rashford and Martial is there for all to see.

You've confused me now as I thought we were signing Griezmann to play at left back, hence the Aguero suggestion?!?!

7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

It's a difficult one as Rashford and Martial deserve the time to develop and have a real shot at becoming the future at United. Either we have faith in them or accept they won't be good enough. Buying any striker basically means the latter imo. As things stand I can see Martial leaving anyway if he isn't looked after.

If that is the case then I'd like Morata. He is class and has demonstrated it in different leagues as well as the Champions League. He's a proper CF with pace and that's what we need. AND he was given his break at Real Madrid by Jose Mourinho (who would've thunk it, he never gives youth a chance does he). Well that's my suggestion, ofcourse it may be too negative and doom mongering!

8. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Let it go Trebs.

<ok>

Treble likes this.
  9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

10. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Aubameyang isn't suited to hoof ball.

11. glazerfodder

I'maboomerang will go to Barca or RM, he won't come to the PL.

12. glazerfodder

Fresh paper talk this morning of JM going for Kane if we don't manage to snare Griezmann. I must put my hands up and say that I thought Kane would be a one season wonder but he has proved to be a prodigious talent and I think he would be preferable to Griezmann. So an interesting debate - which of the two would suit us best ................. Kane knows the PL inside out and could, in theory, hit the ground running whereas Griezmann may take a season to settle.

13. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I'd rather Griezmann.

Kane is ****e at corners and free kicks.

14. glazerfodder

A quick 'bump' for the thread with a quote from Jose regarding the coming Summer's transfer activity -

Jose Mourinho is confident Manchester United will do some "interesting" transfer business during the summer.
    Speaking in his press conference ahead of Saturday’s game against West Bromwich Albion, the boss revealed he has already disclosed his transfer targets to executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, with alternative options identified if the priorities cannot be achieved.
    Mourinho commented: “I’m sure, at the end of the summer, probably we won’t have exactly my first options, because it’s difficult to succeed in every attempt, but I’m sure we’re going to do something interesting and something to improve our team for next season.
    “I’m not a silly manager to say I give the names and you have to give me the players – not at all. I give the names, I give the options, I give the second options in case the first options are not possible, but I give all the information based on my analysis, my experience and projections for the future.”
    Acknowledging the difficulties the current market poses, Mourinho expects tough competition again for his targets but insists he only wants players with a desire to represent United.
    “If the first thing you think is where are you going to live, well, think Los Angeles," he said. "[LA] Galaxy would be the first choice and then think about going to the beach every day. There are beautiful places to live and to play.
    “We want people that, if I call some guy or if Mr Woodward calls some player or some agent, we want people that are immediately engaged and dreaming about coming. This is the profile of the players we want. If they don’t want to come to us, good luck, enjoy your other club.”

15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Nice we'll do "something interesting" in the summer. Would be even nicer if he did something interesting during the season with the players he's bought <laugh>