1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Stratford.....!! What is best for the club????

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pauljca71, Feb 1, 2011.

1. pauljca71

pauljca71 New Member

As a Spurs fan who first went to the lane back in the late 70's i will always class WHL as our home, saying this though i think we need to look at everything involved before any snap decision is made. My family are all from North London, we were born and bred as THFC fans and learnt to hate out North London neighboors. I know moving east would change so much going forward and we would effectivley be giving up on our heritage but (and this is where it hurts) i would rather the club be in a decent financial position than be in so much debt that the very excistance of the club was put in jeopardy.
    I love the lane and its atmosphere, there is nothing better than a midweek game, But 450m for redeveloping WHL against 250m for stratford would be so much better for the club. It saddens me to see the state of the area at the mo and dont really want the club to move but the club will be better off if we did........:(

2. PAPA MOOMIN

PAPA MOOMIN Member

There are more reasons to go than to stay. The thing is the reasons to stay are more important than the reasons to go!!!!!

It's an annoying debate as we all thought we'd have the Northumberland project up and running by now.

It's not our fault that the local council are a bunch of overpaid twats who just want to be seen in print.

3. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

What is strange is the way the redevelopment of WHL was widely promoted by Spurs and then all of sudden we make a bid for the OS. They must have known about the difficulties of buying the rest of the land they needed. Why was that not mentioned until after the OS bid.

What changed? Spurs have already spent a large amount of money on the redevelopment of WHL then suddenly it is not viable. It seems to me there are unanswered questions.

4. The Magnificent Mullery

What changed, I think, was Levy found out he could have a crack at the OS, stand a chance of getting it and save a whole load of cash. I still don't think we will win the bid as the athletics blazer-types and the politicians will fudge it and give wetspam a lifeline at the same time.

The more I think about Stratford the more I worry about it. Has it dawned on Spurs fans that what the club will be doing is selling up its assets in Tottenham (at possibly the worst economic time to try that) and becoming a Council tenant? Now if that means we have bigger crowds, revenue, players, success its difficult to argue apart from the sentimentalities about it. I'm sure the Levy-speak would be "Owning property is not the club's purpose: its winning football matches" but I just don't like the idea of selling off the family jewels to do it and what asurance will there be that its not glorified asset stripping from ENIC? Are they committing their future to Spurs and to reinvesting all profits from land sales back into the club/squad/team? If not where will it go?

5. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Very good point MM there are still many unanswered questions Oh! I've already said that. And how right I was.

6. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Well-Known Member

With the fair play rules coming in it makes a sale to a sugar daddy figure impossible

So any sale would be to someone willing to run it as a self-sustaining business, and who is going to buy a football team that is moving away from its historical home in the current economic climate (since they would bid lower than the price wanted by ENIC)

7. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Not sure I get your point GSM as Spurs is a PLC it has to be self sustaining. I'm not sure a 200 year lease would make a lot of difference to outright ownership. Depending on the terms of the lease of course. The current economic climate has had little efffect on football so far, Carroll 35 million?

8. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Well-Known Member

Chelsea and Man City are also plcs.

The spending by Liverpool in the last window is around 58 million, 50 million of which comes from selling Torres. The other 8 million would, no doubt, easily be covered by income from ticket/shirt/merchandise sales