1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Stop or Go - Engvall Awaits Abraham Injury Results.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Feb 20, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Gustav Engvall move to Djurgarden entirely hinges on Tammy Abraham injury news for Bristol City.

please log in to view this image

Gustav Engvall, left, and Tammy Abraham

Gustav Engvall's proposed loan move to Swedish club Djurgarden is entirely dependent upon the severity of the injury suffered by striker Tammy Abraham last week.

Out of favour at Ashton Gate, the summer signing from IFK Gothenburg is desperate to return to his native land and play first team football between now and the end of the season.
    Given permission to speak to Djurgarden officials last week, Engvall has agreed a deal in principle to join the Stokholm-based club on loan until the end of the season.

But the move has been put on hold while Championship strugglers City assess the fitness of Abraham, the teenage loan signing from Chelsea, who has netted 21 goals in all competitions this season.
    Abraham limped out of last week's 2-1 defeat at Leeds United after sustaining a thigh injury. He has since undergone a hospital scan and Robins head coach Lee Johnson is awaiting the results.

Should Abraham be inconvenienced for any length of time, Gustav will almost certainly be forced to stay in BS3 to provide attacking cover for the remainder of the Championship campaign.
    The Sweden international has dropped down the pecking order at City since the arrival of forwards Milan Djuric and Matty Taylor during the January transfer window.
    Omitted from City's first team squad altogether for the last two matches, veteran centre forward Aaron Wilbraham is also ahead of Engvall in the pecking order.

But the situation could change quickly in the event another of Johnson's strikers joins Abraham on the side-lines, owing either to injury and suspension. Should that happen, Engvall would then be required to sit on the bench.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/gustav...bristol-city/story-30148649-detail/story.html

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Stop or go, good enough or bad enough, expensive or waste of money, fair or unfair, decisive or phaffing about, could I, should I, would I...

So many thoughts about this player, I've got to say it, it reminds me of our season with LJ and our club, god what a state..

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  3. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Sorry Wiz not sure what you mean here. Surely any club would be waiting the results of the scan before we make a decision. Could you imagine the uproar if we send him on loan and then hours later learn that Tammy is out for the season?

4. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

I think we should remember that Gustav Engvall is a young player (even now he is still only 20)

He moved to a new country (not easy when you are 20)

Had no pre-season training (anyone will tell you that it's really hard if that happens)

Has been dogged by small injuries

Everyone seems to have written the lad off - let's get off the his back and see what happens next season

BrightredRickster likes this.
  5. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

This is what LJ was crowing on about when he signed up Engvall..

"I'm delighted we've been able to bring Gustav to Ashton Gate," Bristol City manager Lee Johnson told the club's official website.

"This is another big transfer for us and it's taken a lot of hard work from a lot of people.

"He's a Swedish international who has excellent finishing ability. I'm sure he will adjust quickly to the pace and tempo of the Sky Bet Championship and when he does he'll be really dangerous."
    http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ngvall-from-ifk-gothenburg-on-three-year-deal

2 league games, 4 cup games, nil goals, send him out for some further experience, why retain him, for good or bad he is a flop and LJ's assessment was completely wrong..

6. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I still think he needs a bit of time to get used to the pace of the championship, Tammy's injury could be incentive for him, just unfortunate we're in a relegation battle as could add too much pressure on the kid..or could be the making of him!!

7. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Difficult to argue with this

8. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I'll just leave this here, from 2 years after he signed for Spurs:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ngham-boss-Alex-McLeish-eyes-3m-defender.html

Sometimes you have to play the long game before writing people off.

RedorDead likes this.
  9. Loathsneyd

A flop at 20? Really?? Harry Kane was going out on loan at 20. Tammy has been a great success, probably more than anyone had anticipated. If he hadn't been or had picked up an injury I'm sure Engvall would have got more game time. Its still early days for him

10. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Dear Lee,
    For ENGVALL to fulfil your "insight" you seem to have forgotten that to do so he will actually have to play a few games, it is no good sitting there and saying in a few months time " he hasn't fulfilled his potential, I haven't seen him do anything" :emoticon-0120-doh: because the reason will have been he has been downstairs cleaning the mess up left by the under 16's .. whilst you have been up in the tech box :emoticon-0138-thinkdrawing names out of the left pocket who think might be subbed and by whom from the right pocket.... and every 20 mins :emoticon-0125-mmm: what formation we should play from the right ass pocket
    hopefully this will jog your memory
    jgf2

PS maybe if you added his name to the left ass pocket, <ok> his name for team selection he might be pulled out?

11. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Seem to recall that Kane didn't exactly score loads when out on loan- To be fair though, feel for Engvall. Thought he may have been off and now left in limbo- Motivation to play must be quite low I'd expect

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

At the moment the guy is a total flop and as expressed in the comment he needs to be allowed to get experience else where to improve,the guy that needs to make that decision is LJ and at the moment he is a total flop, 2 wins in 17 games, he needs to be farmed out to gain more experience, of course that is only my opinion, you obviously and to your credit continuously see something in the man a lot of us have missed..

13. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

The guy has never been given a chance,bloody shambles.

14. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Ashton, he of the forked tongue, has brought Fake News to Ashton Gate.
    So we're holding on to Engvall because Tammy's injured.
    If this spin, because that's all it is, was true you'd expect Engvall to at least make the bench.
    It's obviously not the case, City have made a very expensive mistake.
    FFS admit it and move on, excuses for poor judgement is only making matters worse.

15. Loathsneyd

So you would pick him ahead of Tammy then?

Why would he make the bench, you can only have 7 on the bench? If Tammy is injured then Djuric or Taylor will come into the team and then free up the space for him.

16. Red Robin

Never said that,what i said was he has never been given a chance:emoticon-0148-yes:

17. Loathsneyd

So if you wouldn't pick him ahead of Tammy, and you want to give him a chance, where would you play him? Right Back? In goal?

BCFCRob likes this.
  18. Red Robin

Alongside him, as Taylor is doing.:headbang:

19. Loathsneyd

Well that's just been for one game. So you would have dropped Tomlin for him then?

20. Red Robin

No i would have played Tomlin behind two strikers in a triangle :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl: