1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Stoke City v Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image
    Stoke City v. Swansea City
    please log in to view this image

Barclays Premier League
    Date - 31st October 2016
    Venue - Britannia Stadium
    Kick off - 20:00

Following their 0-0 draw at home to Watford, Bob Bradley's next Premier League match is away to Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium - a venue where the Swans have never won.

The failure to beat Watford means that by the time they host Manchester United, the Swans will not have won at home in the PL for more than 6 months: the last victory coming against Liverpool on 1st May.

Having started the season relatively poorly, Mark Hughes' team, with former Swan Joe Allen very much to the fore, have recorded back to back 2-0 victories over Sunderland and Hull, to climb to 16th in the table.

Swansea and Stoke have played each other on 66 occasions, with the Swans winning 21, Stoke winning 24 and 21 draws.

One of those draws came in last seasons corresponding fixture which ended 2-2. Ibrahim Afellay marked his 30th birthday by giving Mark Hughes' side a half-time lead as he headed in Marko Arnautovic's cross.

Bojan Krkic doubled the lead early in the second half with a fine solo goal.

But Gylfi Sigurdsson pulled one back with a shot on the turn that wrong-footed keeper Jakob Haugaard, and Paloschi's deflected strike earned a battling point for the Swans.

With the match taking place on Hallowe'en, Swansea Manager Bob Bradley will be hoping that the Swans will not put in another horror away performance, but instead display some of the battling characteristics of the final 20 minutes at the Emirates. My heart says that the Swans will come away with a point from a 1-1 draw, however my head says a 2-0 home win.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    swantastic and ValleyGraduate12 like this.
  2. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

I'd take a point now.

3. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Me too! <cheers>

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  4. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Agree. Can't see anything other than a Stoke win:(

2-0 loss.

5. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Point will do for me as well.

6. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

We wont make it easy for stoke that's for sure and i fancy a win there 1 - 2 Make Hawson skipper i say, He looks like he can do the job and the way he is talking that he can replace Ash then give him a go....what have we got to lose.....We are improving and i can see us having a good day at stoke

7. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Mawson, Dai it's Mawson .<laugh> , I agree , I think we can get something up there , t's not been a happy hunting ground for us but with another game under Bob's belt and seemingly small improvements then I believe we can get something up there .

8. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Pretty excited for this one , I kinda think were back up and running a bit .
    Not sure how many minutes Amat gets from here frankly.
    After being injured most of the last half of last season ,(played the last few games and got a MOTM one of those games ) and only starting 2 Games following no pre season ,this season up to the Watford game , watch for Ki to play a big role in Bradleys plans from here IMO .
    Our new " Gem " CBs look like they may take over although Id like to see Fernandez play a few with VDH.
    Fab
    Naughton , Fernandez , VDH, Kingsley
    Barrow , Cork , Ki , Siggy , Routs
    LLorente and I guarantee a win .
    Although I thought it might take a bit longer to gel , I think we kick off against Stoke with 3 points ...GO SWANS

9. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Why would you want to play Fernandez ? no matter who he's played along side he's still a liability .The centre half pairing as best it can be should be as one and I'm sorry but why keep changing it knowing that in the pecking order (for me) he's 3rd or fourth choice atm .I'm not sure who between Amat and Fed compliments each other or is the dominant player but regardless Van Der Horn for me is the more assured player than Fed and after Mawsons steady performance why not stick with that pairing .

10. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Drop Fernandez and add Mawson and im with you but my formation would be 3 -2 - 4 - 1.

11. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

We'll win this one. Stoke are still ****e make no mistake.

12. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

But we're a worse kind of $hite :(

Kifflom! likes this.
  13. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

I can't understand the Fernandez thing either. He's been **** for a long time and is completely overrated. How the hell he's an Argentinian international I'll never know. Amat has been playing above his level for a long time too. From what I've seen I like the look of VDH and especially Mawson.

Hoping for a point up in the Potteries but we still look toothless. 0-0.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  14. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

We seem to hit sides always at the wrong time, we always play them as they come out of a slump or when they are on a high. Still. I would not be changing that back 4 for the next 4 or 5 games other than through injuries or suspensions. They looked good and will only get better the longer they play as a unit. Why would we want to chop and change when they are looking very good and will get better. Now saying why change, I would be leaving out Ki, and Baston and replacing with Cork and Llorente. I thought Ki was poor first half and although he did improve, he is so week in the tackle and gets bullied that Stoke are not the team for him to play against as for LLorente his hold up play is so good we will need that to help us bring our midfield into the game.

I am going to stay confident and go for a well deserved 1-1

Stumpy and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  15. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

To coin a phrase " our ****e may be ****e, but our ****e ****s on their ****e"

Stumpy likes this.
  16. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

And then Joe will rip us apart. Especially if Ki or Fer end up playing.

17. seabreeze

Since Williams left , and Fernandez played very well with Williams IMO , I think Fernandez has only been paired with Amat .
    Would only seem appropriate to try Fernandez with someone else .
    Also sitting him totally at this point without trying with others to see if it is just a Amat and Fernandez problem sees his 7 million value nose dive ....sorry , its still a business too .
    The key to getting Fernandez up to speed IMO is finding him a comfortable partner .
    Not that I'm not over the moon with our " Young (cheap ) Guns " looking comfortable on their own ...looking good .

18. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

You do realise that the next game isn't a friendly and we are actually playing for points. You are advocating splitting the centre half partnership that got us our first clean sheet to have a go with someone else to see if it works. Are you really serious. By the way we don't need Fernandez up to speed there are 3 better centre halves already there and up to speed.

19. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Really? This is what concerns you? His price tag falling? <doh>

It's the boards similar thinking too yours in buying cheap etc that's left us in this mess.

20. seabreeze

Sorry lefty , didn't think you get so upset with my opinion . Maybe we should just give Fernandez away so he's not in the way .
    Fernandez was very good up till this season , and could be again . Just needs the right partner . You may not like this opinion but its what I believe .