1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Stoke City v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Probably comes over wrong in print but I am in no way decrying the achievement.

2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

If we were to measure our progress so far, compared to previousI think I would say it's only the performance in two thirds of the pitch.
    Not one person has said he doesn't deserve it so really don't understand why you keep saying that. I'm also surprised you don't seem to understand that 1 point today really DID mean **** all. We all know we needed 3 otherwise people really aren't paying attention to the league this season. Looking at it objectively, we're doing a Spurs. There are comfortably 4 better teams than us this season based purely on performance and results, and 1 point today isn't going to change that. You do realise we've got more draws this season than any other side?

3. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I know what you are saying Treb, you should have won this game, so it is seen as 2 point dropped.
    But Rooney's goal earned United a point, where as if he hadn't scored it, you'd have got nothing.
    If you scrape top 4 at the end of the season by 1 point, then how can you say that goal meant **** all?!

4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

And I don't understand why you don't get that one point is better than none.

<ok>

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Throughout this season there have consistently been at least 4 sides better than us. A big reason for this is because we've drawn far too many games that we should've won. 8 of them in fact (more than any other side in the league except Boro who've also drawn 8 just to add some context). Winning games like today's is the only way we can change that.

This isn't me just reacting to one result, it is an ongoing problem, which after 22 games persists. Our nearest rival, City have been woeful as you'll agree but despite their recent **** ups remain 1 point ahead of us. Liverpool who have only managed 2 points in their last 3 games, still remain 4 points above us. This is not simply about today's game, it's our story throughout the season.

Going into today's game we should've been 100% up for it. Watch the highlights tonight and you'll see we looked indifferent, like we lacked self-belief - maybe because the team he'd picked was a bit of a joke as well.

6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Because we're still 6th and behind our rivals.

<ok>

7. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

So you've given up.

Nice one.

8. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

lol
    You're 4 points off second place, with 16 games left!

9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

<laugh>

I see you two have stopped engaging in any debate and resorted to cheap shots.

"Nice one" <ok>

10. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Cheap shots?
    Just trying to convey a bit of realism.
    Yes, United haven't challenged and performed like a lot of people expected, and you have underperformed.
    But your sense of pessimism regarding a goal that earned you a much needed point is very weird.
    Yes, it was a game that, on paper, United should have won, but this is football....look at Liverpool earlier, beaten at home by a side down in the relegation zone.

Just offering a sense of perspective. You are 4 points from second place with 16 games left, the title is pretty much a no-go....but there is still plenty to play for.

Also, the Britannia is never an easy ground to visit, many a team have dropped points there.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yes a cheap shot. Because once again Bod you resort to condascending, patronising nonsense. You've totally ignored my response to your earlier post and used my response to a specific question about why 1 point today isn't good enough to somehow suggest that I've written off the next 16 games <doh> Go back and read the response to your earlier post and then try to understand what my point is in a wider context. I'm being realistic not pessimistic, it's not about one game or today's result ffs - if you had actually read my earlier post you'd have gathered that.

12. pieguts

pieguts Mentor

That's why Utd are languishing in 6th then, all the other teams get three for the win<whistle>

13. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

The usual rubbish that we've been used to this season, once again on offer today.

A typically slow pragmatic start, when we should be taking the game to the opposition right out of the gates. a packed midfield and 1 forward who's slow and Immobile. Does Mourinho actually think we are going to score goals starting games with such negative tactics?

By the time we actually start playing, we've got 20 mins left to salvage something, which was a point, but still more like 2 points dropped once again.

That game last week against Liverpool was probably one of the most dire games in terms of quality I've been subjected to this season, and I think today's results prove just how hilariously bad both teams are nowadays. It should be no suprise we are where we are in the table, when we need to resort to the long ball just to score past Mignolet and the rest of that shambolic defence.

Mourinho seems to have completely lost the plot, thinking you can be successful with the players he has approaching games with the mentality of not losing. How about actually approaching games with the mentality of we must win at all costs, as SAF used to.

It's no wonder we have drawn more games than anyone else in the division, and have scored by far the least goals of any team in the top 6:biggrin:

14. ITS_NOT_JUST_A_GAME

ITS_NOT_JUST_A_GAME Active Member

Dudes i am a Roo fan. You can call me all you like. I will also agree with all haters his time is at an end but what a servant to our club.
    Our club has had some of the worlds greatest players and captains to have ever represented our chosen sport. I personally salute them all. Roo being a Scouser was always going to find it hard going at a M/cr club.but he overcame and went on to become yet another United great.

Sorry but that`s how i see it.

Chief likes this.
  15. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Seriously, what the **** do you expect?

You sound ridiculous.

I'm exasperated by us not winning, you're outraged.

16. King Shergar

My opinion of Rooney, is that from the ages of 18-25 with us he was one of the best players in the world. Definitely in the top 10 in the world atleast.

But for the past 4 seasons he has been a player in continual decline. Fergie himself knew this, and this is why he was so happy to offload him before he left.

I genuinely feel it has been a detriment to the team performance that Rooney has been seen as a key player for the past 4 seasons, and if there was one positive I'd say about Mourinho atleast he has realised this:biggrin:

17. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

No one cares.

<ok>

18. King Shergar

Apart from the man who has taken the time out of his exciting life to respond to it <whistle>

19. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

You seem the one being outraged, by me mentioning Rooney in a post without waxing lyrical about him.

Nothing remotely ridiculous in anything I've posted.

20. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Come on peeps - there are 48 points still up for grabs and plenty of time for our rivals to suffer the odd slip - especially once competition and fixture congestion sets in towards the back end of the season.

Style likes this.