1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Stoke City - Summer Transfer Speculation

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

We can rule out Ba.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Newcastle United have won the race for Demba Ba, Sky Sports sources understand.

A number of clubs have been tracking Ba since it emerged he could leave on a free transfer following West Ham's relegation from the Premier League.

The Senegal international has been weighing up his options, but it emerged it was a straight fight between Everton and Newcastle.

Ba has now decided that his future is best served on Tyneside, and Sky Sports sources understand he is now travelling to the North East.

The 26-year-old will finalise his deal in the next 24 hours and could be confirmed as a Newcastle player before the weekend.

2. ricc full

ricc full Well-Known Member

12 million is ridiculous, especially for a centre half. If that hapens then thats the majority of the transfer budget gone. I will not be happy if that happens. I really cant see shawcross leaving either as I cant see him going to a top five team and we arent too far off being as good as the rest. I think we have missed out in not signing demba ba who is going to newcastle. Another one slips through the net.

3. ProudPotter

ProudPotter Well-Known Member

I agree Ricc, we don't need a centre back and certainly not for 12million. Letting Ryan leave so soon would also disappoint lots of fans . Wouldn't it be better to buy a couple of players where we really need cover for the same amount of money? Lets hope it's just paper talk and speculation.

4. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11701_6993826,00.html

Skysports.com understands Stoke City have opened negotiations regarding a deal for Scott Dann.

The Birmingham centre-half is a summer target for a number of Premier League clubs after slipping out of the top flight with the Blues last season.

Stoke are among those leading the chase and hope to steal a march on their rivals by making an early move.

It is understood that a bid has been lodged and talks between the two clubs have begun.

The Potters can, however, expect to face stiff competition for Dann, with the race for his signature set to hot up.

Aston Villa are preparing to make an approach, with new boss Alex McLeish having worked with the highly-rated 24-year-old during his time at St Andrews.

Long-term suitors Arsenal and Liverpool are also believed to be readying moves, with Arsene Wenger and Kenny Dalglish in the market for defensive reinforcements.

From a Brummie journalist

http://twitter.com/#!/FanhousePercy/status/81691267171487745

@FanhousePercy
    John Percy #Stoke interest in Scott Dann cooling at present, due to "astronomical" price tag #bcfc

5. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

Fantastic news:emoticon-0102-bigsm

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...nsists-Pulis/story-12789679-detail/story.html

TONY Pulis has dismissed reports he is looking to sell his Republic of Ireland midfielder Glenn Whelan this summer.

West Ham and Fulham have been linked with the 27-year-old, who held talks with Pulis last January when he was concerned about not getting a regular run in the side.

However, the Dubliner still has two years on his contract, and Pulis isn't keen to lose a player who became a key member of his side in the final three months of last season.

That contradicts reports in the Irish press, which claim Whelan could be available for as little as £1m, but Pulis insists he's going nowhere.

He said: "The speculation is tittle-tattle. Glenn did smashing for us last season.

"But he has been in a situation that a lot of Premier League players find themselves in.

"They get worn out. I don't just mean physically, but they get mentally drained too and they need to rest.

"Glenn always plays at 100 per cent, he never gives anything less, so it is important to recognise that the demands in the Premier League are different from those in the Championship. There will be times when players just have to rest."

Pulis snapped Whelan up for a bargain £500,000 from Sheffield Wednesday in January 2008 and he helped Stoke win promotion to the Premier League that season.

But the playmaker has been in and out of the side for much of City's three years in the top flight.

He couldn't get into the Premier League starting line-up from the end of September to the middle of February last season.

However, having broken back into the side, he started each of City's final 13 games of the campaign, including their 5-0 hammering of Bolton in the FA Cup semi-finals and the 1-0 defeat to Manchester City in the final.

He has remained a consistent performer for the Republic of Ireland in their attempts to secure a place at the 2012 European Championship finals in Poland and Ukraine next summer.

He played 90 minutes of Ireland's 2-0 win in Macedonia in a qualifier two weeks ago, and also played an hour of their 2-0 win away to Italy in a friendly three days later.

STOKE'S Academy are keeping tabs on 13-year-old Australian goalkeeper Dominc Kurasik. However, they haven't yet signed a deal with the youngster, contrary to reports.

The youngster attends the Rowville Sports Academy in Melbourne and impressed while on trial with City.

6. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-n...oke-prepare-audacious-bid-ex-real-madrid-star

Stoke are preparing an audacious bid to sign former Real Madrid star Mahamadou Diarra.
    The Mali international was signed by the Spanish giants from Lyon for £17.5million in 2006 but fell down the pecking at the Bernabeu following the arrivals of Sami Khedira and Xabi Alonso last summer.
    He moved to Monaco in January but is now ready to move on again and that has alerted Stoke boss Tony Pulis, who believes he can thrash out a deal for the 30-year-old.
    Pulis is also keen on Birmingham defender Scott Dann but faces a fight to land the 24-year-old, with Liverpool and Aston Villa also reported to be keen.

7. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

From Stoke's ESPN correspondent. Adam Barton is a player we've been interested in before so this could be true.

http://twitter.com/#!/ESPN_Stoke/status/81462182809845760

@ESPN_Stoke
    James Whittaker
    Adam Barton in talks with Stoke representatives - very good player with a big future. Would be very happy if we do something...

8. Sandor Clegane

Sandor Clegane 'The Hound'
    Forum Moderator

Sarge, all very exciting rumours going about, but any chance you could just post in bold and not italic? Made my eyes go funny trying to read all this thread!!:emoticon-0145-shake

9. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

Will do mate, sorry about that. I'm so used to doing it. Will make an effort in future not to do it.

10. Sandor Clegane

Forum Moderator

Cheers for that :D
    It's alright on some threads when it's just the main article in bold and italics, gets a bit much when most of it is like that!!

11. THe Mighty Huth Rocks

Keep it as it is sgt, Pistol enlarge youre screen & get some glasses like i have :cool:

12. Sandor Clegane

Forum Moderator

I've got a massive monitor, I get neck ache from going side to side if I go full screen!:emoticon-0102-bigsm

13. ricc full

ricc full Well-Known Member

sgt, if we sign half the players we are supposidly after we would have 12,475 players at stoke. The rumours are good fun howvever the only wishes I have are a creative centre mid and cover for the wingers. Shawn Wright Philips would be ideal and I dont think its an impossible deal to do.

14. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

I agree about SWP ricc. I think he would come here as well, but his wages would be a problem i'd imagine.

15. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

Anyone else remember this kid from his brief spell with us?

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/NewsDetails/0,,10355~2378220,00.html

CITY can confirm the signing of Manchester United defender Ritchie De Laet on a season-long loan, subject to the relevant paperwork being completed.

On securing the services of the 22-year-old, City boss Paul Lambert said: "He'll be great for us. He's young and one of his main strengths is pace and he comes from a great Club where he's played first team football.

"He'll come in and help the other lads out. He's played a lot of first team games out on loan last season and I'm sure he'll do great for us."

Although primarily a central defender he is also comfortable playing full-back where he impressed on his first team debut for the Reds at left-back in a 1-0 win at Hull City on the final day of the 2008/09 season.

He has made five further first-team appearances for United, in Carling Cup wins over Wolves, Barnsley and Tottenham, plus Premier League starts against Wolves and Fulham. The Reds kept clean sheets in four of those five games.

The Belgian player signed for United in January 2009 after joining from Stoke City having arrived at the Britannia Stadium two years earlier from Royal Antwerp. He also spent a short loan spell at Wrexham during his time at the Potteries.

De Laet has been a prominent member of United's Reserves where he was part of the squad that won the Torneo Calcio Memorial Claudio Sassi-Sassuolo in April 2009. De Laet featured in three of United's five games in Italy and converted a penalty in the semi-final shoot-out win over FC Modena. The Reds later beat Ajax 1-0 in the final to secure the trophy.

He has also been recognised with the Denzel Haroun Reserve Team Player of the Season award for 2009-10.

The defender will be familiar to Canary fans having plied his trade in the npower Championship last season with loan spells at Sheffield United, Preston and most recently Portsmouth. The Belgian played right-back for Pompey against City when they won automatic promotion to the Barclays Premier League at Fratton Park on May 2.

A regular at Under-21 level he won his first senior cap for Belgium in their Kirin Cup match against Chile in May 2009.

There is no recall clause on this loan deal.

De Laet told canaries.co.uk exclusively: "I'm really pleased to be able to continue my development as a young player with Norwich, where the manager has given me this chance to come in and fight for a place in the Norwich team.

"I know it's going to be very tough because the lads there have done really really well and it's going to be a big challenge to get into a team which is really used to winning and is a great, tight-knit group.

"The fans there are great as well. I remember that game at Portsmouth when Norwich went up and the fans were superb. You could see how much it meant to them and to the Club to get back into the Premier League after some difficult years.

"I took a look at the fixtures when they came out this morning and I'm sure everybody can't wait to get going. Every game will be very tough and competitive, that's what the Premier League is all about.

"I'm looking forward to joining in with pre-season training and getting to know the rest of the lads as we all start getting down to some serious work and then the friendlies before the Premier League starts."

16. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

17. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...: StokeCityFootballClubNews (Stoke City News)

STOKE chairman Peter Coates is staying tight-lipped amid speculation that City are trying to sign Birmingham defender Scott Dann.

The Potters are looking for a central defender this summer following Abdoulaye Faye's departure on a free transfer at the end of last season.

They have also been linked with a £3m move for Reading captain Matthew Mills, but Dann offers top-flight experience having impressed for Birmingham last season, despite their relegation from the Premier League.

Some reports suggest Stoke are ready to smash the club record £8m they paid for striker Kenwyne Jones in order to land the 24-year-old centre-back.

A weighty opening bid could steal a march on Liverpool, who have also been linked with the player.

However, Dann would have to fight his way past skipper Ryan Shawcross and Robert Huth to claim a place in Stoke's central defence.

Coates has already dismissed speculation that Shawcross is on his way to Spurs, saying City want to keep both their captain and player-of-the-season Huth.

However, he refused to be drawn on Dann, saying: "We have our eyes on a number of targets, but we are not going to disclose them. We are trying to work below the radar."

Meanwhile, Coates is in upbeat mood, even though City have been handed a tough start to the season.

Stoke kick off the campaign against Chelsea on August 13 and then face further home games against Liverpool and Manchester United.

Stoke also have back-to-back away games at promoted Norwich (August 20) and West Brom (August 27).

The home game with Liverpool (September 10) is followed by a trip to Sunderland (September 17) before Stoke return to the Brit to entertain champions Manchester United on September 24.

Coates joked: "They look pretty easy games, in fact I have already factored in 15 points.

"To be serious, I would always want an easy start, but my experience tells me to just get on with it because you never get what you think you will out of a group of games.

"We will just have to make sure we are up and running and give a good account of ourselves."

City have been allocated home games for Boxing Day, against Aston Villa, and the final game of the season, against Bolton.

NORWICH have signed Manchester United's former Stoke defender Ritchie De Laet on a season-long loan. Meanwhile, Demba Ba, the striker who almost joined Stoke in January before failing a medical, has left relegated West Ham United to join Newcastle United.

18. Waddos_legends

Waddos_legends Active Member

Er yes please Tony!!!! He is just what we need. A nippy little striker with some pace and he knows where the goal is. I would be made up if we got him - http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6994991,00.html

Skysports.com understands Stoke City have joined the race to offer Blackpool striker DJ Campbell a return to the Premier League.

Campbell impressed at Bloomfield Road last season in scoring 13 goals as the Seasiders narrowly failed to retain their top-flight status.

He has a release clause in his contract allowing him to leave the club for £1.25million following relegation, although Blackpool are not giving up hope of keeping the forward.

However, Campbell has recently expressed his determination to play in the Premier League again next term and he has several clubs on his trail.

Fulham and Sunderland have already been linked with bids for the former Birmingham City man, and now Stoke have entered the chase.

Potters boss Tony Pulis is looking to improve his squad over the summer and is weighing up a move to bring Campbell to the Britannia Stadium.

19. BYeee

BYeee Guest

Think you could be spot on there Waddo, don't remember him scoring many 'spectaculars', BUT half chances in the box - just what we need, shouldn't cost a bomb in fees or wages either.

Unlike Mr Cole in cost and Jerome's lack of goals.

All of which means our Tone will go for.......

20. THe Mighty Huth Rocks

If thats the guy off the radio with a right irritating scottish voice, then no thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.