1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Steve Was Really pleased with the Team for 70 Minutes

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jan 8, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City boss Lee Johnson issues response to fans who think he should be sacked
    By a_stockhausen
    Lee Johnson acknowledges that some of our fans have lost patience and are calling for him to be sacked as head coach of the Championship club.

But the 35-year-old former Barnsley and Oldham boss, who has presided over nine defeats in ten games, is adamant he can turn the club's fortunes around during the second half of the season.

Although he is coming under fire from disgruntled Ashton Gate regulars, Johnson still has the full backing of Robins majority shareholder Steve Lansdown, who sees him as the right man to spend money in the January transfer window.

In a significant show of faith, Lansdown has released funds to enable Johnson to strengthen his starting line-up and the embattled head coach is hoping three or four new faces can help turn the tide and effect a rapid return to winning ways

Johnson says he fully understands why some fans have turned against him, but he remains fully committed to the cause and is as determined as ever to put things right and avoid being dragged into a relegation battle.

Last Monday's 3-2 defeat to promotion-chasing Reading left City three points off the drop zone and then came their failure to beat League One side Fleetwood Town in their FA Cup tie yesterday.

Johnson admitted: "Naturally, some people will turn now, because of the results.

"I don't blame anybody for that. I'm very understanding of the situation, because I'm also a Bristol City fan myself. I have to make sure I fly the flag from the front and set an example of the standards that are going to be required to earn us that little bit of luck to get us out of trouble."

In defiant mood, he added: "Yes, the form has been a massive disappointment after our early games. Do I believe that in another 22 games, we could be up to mid-table at least in the Championship? Absolutely.

"We are still a progressive club and we are still looking forward We are not getting worse and we are not cutting things. We're looking to kick on."

Johnson met with Lansdown behind closed doors immediately after the defeat to Reading, City's sixth on the bounce, and the billionaire businessman gave the one-time Robins midfielder his full support.

Johnson said: "I'm very lucky. I have a good owner at the club and a good board of directors. Steve was really pleased with the team for 70 minutes (against Reading).

"Trust me I'm hurting, but I've also got a tight-knit family group to help me. Until they have been in that position, nobody can feel it more than the manager or head coach.

"But the hurt also gives you that drive and determination to look forward to the future. I'm a young coach and, hopefully, I've got many years ahead of me. Hopefully, I have many years at Bristol City ahead of me.

"This is a club I have deep history with, a club I am fully committed to and a club that I love. The bit that frustrates me is that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel."

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/bristo...ld-be-sacked/story-30035995-detail/story.html

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

This statement say's it all lads, so be patient if you want LJ out and let's hope for a change of luck for those of us who want him to stay.

' Johnson still has the full backing of Robins majority shareholder Steve Lansdown, who sees him as the right man to spend money in the January transfer window.

In a significant show of faith, Lansdown has released funds to enable Johnson to strengthen his starting line-up and the embattled head coach is hoping three or four new faces can help turn the tide and effect a rapid return to winning ways'

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  3. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

He could be on the way by February, or on the way backā€¦.

4. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

We are not getting worse

Really ? The next 2 games will tell.
    Then after that, nice easy ones against Forest and Sheffield Wednesday.

Steve was really pleased with the team for 70 minutes

What did he think of the total and utter capitulation in the final 20 minutes ?

5. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Well we certainly have not improved thats for sure,next two games massive for LJ the facts are the fans will dictate his position as manager.