1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Steve Sims - Lazar Marković

Discussion in 'Watford' started by zen guerrilla, Jun 16, 2017.

1. zen guerrilla

zen guerrilla Well-Known Member

Just thinking back to 1978 when we bought Steve Sims from Leicester City for £175,000 and we thought that was a huge amount of money. How times have changed when the club is being linked to a player whom might cost a reputed £20M. The mind boggles. While acknowledging time and finance have changed completely in the intervening period £20M is still an eye-watering sum, still small in comparison to the transfer fees paid by the big boys - are Paul Pogba, Christian Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo truly worth over £80M?

2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Totally inflationary. The more TV money that goes in the more the fees and wages go up... And the divide between the premier league and the others grows. The joys of unregulated markets...

3. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

It feels totally wrong that an average footballer can earn more in a week than someone who operates a life support machine or who goes into a burning building to save lives earns in a year. Personally this thought contributes more and more to how out of love I feel with the PL and the likes of Sky TV.

Is it sustainable? I rather hope not.

Hornette_TID likes this.
  4. Jennings60s

Jennings60s Active Member

It is rather down to Joe Public isn't it? If we buy Sky TV and watch these overpaid sportspeople they will earn what they can demand. If we all stopped buying / watching the money would dry up.

5. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

The world wants to watch EPL, I dont know why but they do , It maybe something to do with our history .Or it could be that we have a top 6 and then anther 8 to 10 clubs that was in the top 6 in there day . Here in the US they show 75% of all games . i get to see a few games live when i can get tickets but i see 1/2 our games on the TV here . Should we ever go down in my life time then id see 8 to 10 live game and a few on my computer

6. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Thing is because the TV revenue is as such we could not go to games and clubs would still afford to pay silly money.

No wonder the match going fan* isn't really thought of like they used to be (until you buy the merchandise)

As much as we love Deeney is he worth anywhere near 100k a week? - that is just market forces playing its part.

*TBF I think the Pozzos do care about us and have done great work on the ground and PR wise generally but that is because we aren't a big super power who can attract fans from across the world (well I know there are a few here..) but you know what I mean!

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  7. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

There is ridiculous money going into the EPL, but Sky also put money into the EFL - how many clubs currently in Leagues One and Two would be in trouble or even no longer exist if they didn't have that money?

8. Jennings60s

Jennings60s Active Member

Thought you had switched to Man U for a horrible moment there.
    I think you are right on this and the trouble is you cannot put the genie back in the bottle - we cannot return to the old days of revenue from fans being the key