1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Steve McClaren has been sacked by Derby County

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by durbar2003, Mar 12, 2017.

1. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

And he bites the dust - AGAIN

2. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Just got an alert to inform me. Absolute madness. The crazy imperative to get to the PL is driving boards to ruthless decisions. All loyalty and longevity sacrificed to success at all costs and a share of the billions in the upper tier.
    I wonder if this is sustainable in the longer term?
    Hopefully they will be over any new manager bounce by the time we play them on 31.3.17.

3. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Again???'

4. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Last season they sacked clement when they were in the play off places as apparently promotion wasn't a target then and he obviously got them too close to that.....this season their annual fall has started earlier than usual so he had to go.........and we think our owner/chairman is a bit odd that times.......

5. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Wouldn't surprise me if they go for Rowett. I don't know what the Derby owners expect from their managers, promotion shouldn't be expected as a given. They're about where they should be. An upper/mid-table championship club.

6. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Derby are actually a more bonkers club than us. It wouldn't surprise me if they announce Steve McClaren as their new manager tomorrow.

7. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Also heard Rowett lined up for Norwich. Derby behaving like a proper basket-case, why they took McLaren back in the first place is a mystery, he'd be better off simply as a coach as his managerial record is abysmal...

UTRs and QPR999 like this.
  8. N22hoop

N22hoop Well-Known Member

Don't be so hard on the Derby board. They are, after all, following the blueprint for promotion created by Tango and Cash. Change the manager enough and - like the proverbial monkeys with typewriters eventually writing Shakespeare - the four (or five or six) year plan will produce a Championship winning team.

9. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Sorry Nines, not tomorrow ................................ Steve has been advised to pencil in a return phone call to Morris in two years time ............ he's a shoo in!

QPR999 and UTRs like this.
  10. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

Monkeys with typewriters? The Leicester owners must have taken you literally. There are no more so far as I am aware so clubs that jump on the merry go round later have to settle for the Rowetts of this world. Anybody read any of his plays?

11. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

If there is a manager out there who wants a poisoned chalice.............................

12. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

If they were to appoint Rowett I might have to revise my certain three point stance against them.

QPR999 likes this.
  13. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

Apologies to Col and Hoops Eternal, but Rowett would be better off at Norwich - sensible club who know what it takes to get to the prem (even if they didn't stay there). Rather than the basket case that is Derby.

Hoops Eternal likes this.
  14. cor blymie

cor blymie Well-Known Member

after that showing at Brighton I'm surprised it took 48 hours

15. UTRs

UTRs Senile Member

I know it's not nice being fired but do they get a hefty pay off when the "your fired" deed is done?

16. stanleyparkerbowles

stanleyparkerbowles Well-Known Member

His sackings never coincide with us being in the market
    He will manage us at some point in the next three years
    With Clint as coach

17. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

I bloody hope not!

KPDHoopster and Hoops Eternal like this.
  18. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

WHOOPS! Jinxed it, ****! :headbang:

Gary Rowett: Derby County appoint ex-Birmingham City boss as manager
    please log in to view this image

Gary Rowett made 70 Premiership appearances for Derby, when Jim Smith was the Rams' manager
    Gary Rowett has been appointed Derby County manager until the end of the 2018-19 season.

Derby are 10th in the Championship and sacked Steve McClaren on Sunday, five months into his second spell in charge.

Rowett is County's fifth manager in 13 months following Paul Clement, Darren Wassall, Nigel Pearson and McClaren.

Rowett, who was sacked by Birmingham in December, made 120 outings for the Rams from 1995 to 1998 and said he has a "special bond" with the club.

He added: "During that time, we tasted success when we were promoted to the Premiership (1995-96) and moved to Pride Park Stadium under [then-manager] Jim Smith.

"Living in the local area, I understand the expectation of the fan base and it goes without saying that Derby County has fantastic and committed supporters.

"I have coached in the academy in the past so I know the values of the club and I am looking forward to sharing my experience and knowledge of the league with the staff and players."

The ex-Burton Albion manager was also linked with the vacant Norwich job and also held talks with Rangers.

He has brought in Kevin Summerfield as assistant manager, Mark Sale as first-team coach, Kevin Poole as goalkeeping coach and Joe Carnall as head of performance analysis.

Current first-team coach Kevin Phillips will continue as part of the set up but Pascal Zuberbuhler has left his role as goalkeeping coach.

"Gary is being tasked with, and has the full responsibility for, leading our redevelopment programme," said Derby County Chairman Mel Morris.

"He is an exemplar of the qualities and values we want in our team and has clearly demonstrated his abilities to get that from his players too."

Rowett's management credentials
    • Birmingham City (October 2014-December 2016) - 106 games, won 42, draws 32 lost 32
    • Burton Albion (March 2012-October 2014) - games 142, won 63, draws 34, lost 45
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39255324

19. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Rowett to Derby and Warburton to Forest, more changes in the Championship than the Southern Rail to timetable...

20. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

Lucky to have two good managers lying around in march, usually only the megsons about