1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Statement from Lansdown

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Tom_BCFC, Jan 23, 2017.

1. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Every time we play, I will hope and pray for a win, whoever is manager, so I suppose that could be labelled as 'supporting him'.
    It's not the same as believing he's the right man for the job.
    If by some miracle he turns this disaster around and stabilises us I'll be delighted - but I can't see it happening. He has to go.

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Yep shouting on the team,but that doesn't mean I want him here any longer.
    SL and his team, must be tapping up the potential replacement.

3. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Steve Lansdown is used to playing near the edge.
    That doesn't make him right of course, but it does suggest he is into the buzz rather more than achieving things at City.

Or I could be wrong
    We could all be wrong in fact.

My gut feeling is Steve is the heart and soul of our club, He fired his friend (Lee's dad) because of fan pressure, and many thought that a major mistake, including me. I also think firing Cotterill was a bad mistake. Cotterill working with Ashton, and with this kind of financial backing would have given us a lot of momentum, when we came up from League 1 already with lots of momentum. That is the kind of momentum that sends clubs through into the Premiership, like it very nearly did in 2008.
    One wonders why Coppell left - it was never fully explained to us - but I wonder how much SL had to do with that fiasco.
    Coppell plus cash backing, and a free reign to run the club would have sent us up within two years. Of that I am certain.

But all said and done, SL has bankrolled this club for nearly 10 years, built a proper stadium, training complex, and given us the best squad we have seen here for a very long time. I think that deserves patience and at least a season's grace to test his ideas.

If LJ doesn't work out, it might even be SL's final season, and that will be where the serious worrying starts

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  4. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Who's to say that Cotts & Ashton would have got on or would have had a working relationship, it's all a bit if's and I don't see why the departure of Cotts was a mistake, please don't tell me he was on the verge of keeping us up!!
    I love the fact that SL has bankrolled this club for the stadium and training complex etc, but employing a decent manager has IMO been his failiure. (apart from GJ & Cotts when in league one)!

5. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

One wonders why Coppell left - it was never fully explained to us - but I wonder how much SL had to do with that fiasco.

Quite a lot from my understanding, such as signing one David James without Coppells knowledge who clearly didn't want him. And that may have been the tip of the iceberg.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  6. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

That David James saga was blown out of all proportion. David James himself said he signed because it was Steve Coppell at the end of the phone to persuade him.

RedorDead and banksyisourhero like this.
  7. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

When has Bristol City EVER come clean on ANYTHING? There are several 'events' that I would like to have the details about, but they are kept very much out of the public domain. Keeping silent on contentious issues can be just as damaging as coming out about them, because in the absence of hard fact, people fill in the gaps themselves (usually based on their own likes/dislikes) and make up their own 'facts' based on what their brother's mate heard from someone in the pub who was fixing a lightbulb in the dressing room when it kicked off.............
    Under GJ, what happened with Basso?, Nick Carle? McIndoe?
    What happened with Coppout?
    What was the story around our ridiculous bids for Gayle and Gray? (£9m and £11m I seem to remember - presumably authorised by SL, if so then that refutes the claim that Cottrell wasn't backed financially)
    Why did Cottrell seem to 'lose interest'? Was it something to do with the above?
    Those are the questions which spring to mind straight away. The only answers to them that I have seen have come from these boards - hardly solid, reliable sources - and NOT the official BCFC voice, just people's theories and opinions!

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  8. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

in any context this is always the likely cause we do not know thebackground

he over saw 2 games and was reported to have said.. I have lost all interest or similar

hindsight wont go into details but it was likely we wouldn't have gone down
    Absolutely spot on ... 2 or 3 on here thrive on that
    the fans were extremely voiciferous and anxious on lack of action .. so lets try the impossible with the prospect of high wages, club near bottom... worst scenario is we couldn't agree terms .. but it was a splash on the fire!
    absolutely ..get a sieve put in a couple lbs of these boards and finish up with 0.8 ounce ...not even an ounce :emoticon-0140-rofl:

ibodyslamrhinos likes this.
  9. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I know you don't like Lansdown but I think blaming him for Coppell who is known for walking out is just taking the piss.
    This is what I was told or read as well. It was Coppell who wanted David James so Lansdown agreed to the wages that Coppell negotiated with James.

10. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Of course he had. He gave up management that very day.
    I am basing my assumptions on his record, his reputation, and the fact that one of the two players he signed in the ten minutes he was here was Albert Adomah.
    I think SL showed him the future, and it made him feel sick
    Steve still hasn't explained to the fans why Coppell left as suddenly as he did

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017

11. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Whether it's true or not, and due to the way he runs the club at times, then he fully deserves having the piss taken out of him in my opinion. The latest statements from him just confirm how out of touch and blinkered he really is.

12. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Gary Johnson left BCFC by mutual consent - He could have been sacked for gross misconduct for an alleged throttling that most of BS3 heard about on a player at half time v Argyle.

Cotterill working with Ashton. Would not have worked. Keith Burt left because Steve Cotterill wanted to sign his own players and be in control. Within days of Steve Cotterill leaving in came Mark Ashton - Highlights how muddled the long term running of BCFC is. Changes by the season.

There is the malaise. BCFC is in a constant state of flux because there are NO long terms. The structure of the club us just change after change for a decade.

13. johngalleyfan2

on 11 August 2010 after only four months in charge, Coppell resigned as Bristol City manager, saying that he would retire from football management altogether citing a lack of passion for the job

and he pretty much did for a long time

14. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

BCFC frightened him to death <cheers>

15. johngalleyfan2

he walked into something he had 3 months to put together and failed