1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Stan Benefit: preseason Friendly

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by qprbeth, Apr 13, 2017.

1. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Gleaned from LFW and Facebook and twitter

www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/qpr-stan-bowles-benefit-match-3671397
    Extract...

"Club and committee provide update ...

QPR can confirm that our home pre-season friendly fixture at Loftus Road this summer will commemorate Stan Bowles' contribution to the club.

Over the last few months, CEO Lee Hoos and other staff members at QPR have been working in conjunction with a newly-formed committee to finalise plans to pay tribute to our legendary former player, who is suffering with Alzheimer’s."

However the link does not work, and there is nothing on the offy (perhaps they are still negotiating the opposition?)...nor does the link to justforstan.com

But there is a huge amount of buzz going around various sites and on the twitter that this is what will happen.
    Which in my mind is a great compromise...and all credit to the committee that set it up.

Lets hope the fragmented manner of the release of the news does not mean any hiccups in the process

2. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

Au contraire Beth.

It is on the offie! I have just checked & saw it there yesterday as well after your original post had disappeared (after I replied).

This to me is the correct way to go forward & perhaps a different cause should benefit every season (should there be a profit).

However, I don't expect the attendance to be anything close to what the organisers anticipate.

3. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I can't go as I'm abroad on these dates :emoticon-0106-cryin ...

Club and committee provide update ...

QPR can confirm that our home pre-season friendly fixture at Loftus Road this summer will commemorate Stan Bowles' contribution to the club.

Over the last few months, CEO Lee Hoos and other staff members at QPR have been working in conjunction with a newly-formed committee to finalise plans to pay tribute to our legendary former player, who is suffering with Alzheimer’s.

Following consultation with the committee and dialogue with the Bowles family, this fixture - scheduled to be played on the weekend of July 29th/30th 2017 - will form part of the club's ongoing celebrations of our former players, in the wake of a successful first year for The Forever R's Club, our ex-players association that was formed earlier this season.

Further details, including confirmation of our opponents for this fixture, will be announced in due course.

Supporters can donate towards the Stan Bowles Go Fund Me account by clicking HERE

In addition, supporters wishing to keep abreast of all Stan related updates, should visit www.justforstan.com

Read more at http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/2...enefit-match-3671397.aspx#s3w68V6PhJ4gRV4j.99

4. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Still very odd Terry I cannot see it still, but must be my phones fault (can't be mine obviously!)
    Glad it is all OK...

I took yesterdays post down, as I could not confirm it...and I thought I could be in dangerous terrotory.
    I agree this is a perfect compromise.

Lets see how good the fans are on this.
    I too am worried that I won't make it too
    .......I have got a Driving job at the World Athletic Championship this year...and so maybe on shift.
    But lets see

5. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

Good,make it against Brentford. A nice little local derby to get us in the mood for the new season,plus they can pay their respect to a former player too. Obviously the plod won't allow that particular fixture to take place,but would be nice !

6. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Man City would be ideal considering Stan's time with them...

QPR Oslo likes this.
  7. Stan Dupp

Stan Dupp Well-Known Member

Celtic as they'll bring 10,000. Have we ever played Glasgee Rangers?

8. kingdom hoop

kingdom hoop Active Member

Drew 3 3 way back

9. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

I was there that day, didn't Rodney Marsh get sent off?
    Manchester City would ensure a decent attendance, but Brentford more realistic.

10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

If we try and get one of Stan's other clubs knowing us we'd end up with Carlisle or Orient.

I may not have read the links properly, but this is described as a 'commemorative game/celebration' rather than a 'benefit'. I hope some money is raised for the fund.