1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spurs v FC Basel Match Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by notsosmartspur, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Absolutely gutted about last night.

Ade actually had an "ok" game but his penalty was a disgrace. The horse-legged run-up and then side footing it over the bar... Just not been his season really has it?

Dembele was by far, head and shoulders the worst player on the pitch. Misplaced a thousand passes including one which led to their first goal and had no positive influence on the game.

Holtby and Sig both worked hard but produced very little.

Dempsey had an anonymous game yet managed 2 goals so credit to him for getting in the right positions.

Tommy Carroll stole the show though when he came on, what a gem of a player we have on our books. A shame AVB doesn't seem to rate him enough to start him as I think he's more than earnt a start but hopefully his chance will come soon. His passing was nigh on perfect and showed some real grit and determination to get involved in different aspects.

Friedel could have done better for both goals in my opinion, the first I felt had he reacted quicker and stretched a bit more then he could have got a fingertip on the ball to potentially knock it wide and their second he parried the ball straight back into the box, I'm no keeper but I know Goalkeeping 101 is to never parry a shot back into the area, always look to parry it wide. Easier said than done perhaps but for a seasoned vet like Brad I'd have expected more.

On the whole can't fault the lads commitment but quite frankly I think last night proved that we actually lack quality in depth, without wide men we looked very flat at times and I honestly couldn't see us grabbing an equaliser, lets not forget Deuce's first was due to poor defending. A real shame to go out, really think this was a squad capable of winning the Europa but obviously not. Hopefully we'll treat our remaining league games with the same commitment as yesterday but just with a bit more quality. Also hoping that we can have Bale, Lennon and Defoe back for City, 10 days is a decent period now to recharge and rest, who knows there may even be a slight hope of seeing our best CB return which wouldd definitely lift spirits amongst players and fans, come on Younes, we want the return of the beast!

2. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

can't see how Ade had a good game,his job is the play in and around the penalty area,get behind them and attack the ball,he did none of that last night.

3. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

He did but it just happened to go to a Basel player. I've seen a few criticise him for the second, in particular, but I think it's harsh, he couldn't tip it around the far post as he was nowhere near it(and the shot was into his body) and trying to do that would've been stupid as he had no idea whether anyone was following in behind him. Had he known that the middle of the box was all Spurs defenders I'm sure he could've sent it that way but he couldn't have known that whilst watching the ball like he should be. I don't know whether he could've caught it but even though it was a soft goal to concede, I think people are wrongly criticising Brad, simply because they're able to watch replays and Friedel had to play the percentages in a split second.

4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The thing that surprised me most about Carroll was actually his tackling. He won a number of balls that he had absolutely no right to and wasn't afraid to put a foot in.
    I'd like to see either him or Huddlestone start against City. We need some extra creativity.
    I fully expect to see Parker and Dembele in the middle of the park, though and I suppose that's understandable.

5. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

I'm gutted about last night as well. I wouldn't disagree with any of your observations, although I will add that I don't think Villas-Boas comes out of this European campaign at all well. I also think there have been several players who have pretended to 'want' this competition, but in reality have never really been arsed about it.

6. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

Watch his feet YV. There's no 'spring'. There's no liveliness in his step. A quick shuffle of his feet would have seen his body better shaped to push the ball away from the danger area if that's what he felt he needed to do. The alertness is not there. I have said on here before, the decline of a keeper is often alarmingly rapid and we are seeing the early stages of this with Brad.

I like him and he has done well for us, but that was poor goalkeeping last night.

7. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I appreciate what you're saying about footwork and I'm in no position to disagree but I don't get how that would've helped. He couldn't have put it anywhere that wasn't a danger area could he? Unless he'd known that there were no Basel players left in the middle of the area, which surely he couldn't do in a split second decision?

8. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I thought I saw exactly that as well. All of a sudden Brad looked his age.

9. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

Me too, he didn't play badly, good mental composure to put the first 5mins behind him, but I dunno, something missing still and not sure what it is. Some say did ok in the tackle, one or two maybe, but swatted aside a bit too easily aswell. I like the way he's always on the move making himself available though.

As for Modric, he does what he does with both feet, so yeah, lets not go there.