1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spurs v FC Basel Match Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by notsosmartspur, Apr 1, 2013.

1. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

I wanted to say something about Ade's run up but it's already been done. Well Brad let the first one in on his narrow side and was at fault for the second goal. Yes the ball was slippery but he should still have held it. Overall they deserved it tbh. Positives are that we are unbeaten without Bale and Dempsey despite what some think can find the net. We gave the ball away far too much but with a couple of more signings I think we can do well next season. AVB to stay,Brad and Defoe with Ade to go.

2. seanDCFC

seanDCFC New Member

No strikers next season then :laugh:

3. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

Excuse me?

Mrs primo "we're in London so all TV company's suck us off"... You at least were featured on a normal channel and in HD. Our game was on ITV 4. They've been playing your games all year, they only lopped us on to the billing after we got further than they expected <doh>

You have my sympathy's for going out. Bad night for us as well and having watched a bit of your game, I don't think either club has disgraced themselves in exit. 2 worthy winners go through!

4. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

For me the game was up when Bale got injured, he'd have ripped Basel a new one tonight. Would never have been easy without Vertonghen anyway, only the league games left now, might help

5. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

The clubs left in semi finals have the feel of CL dropouts. What value has the EL when it's just the second bite of a smaller cherry for the CL failures?

6. DayDoDoeDontDayDoe

DayDoDoeDontDayDoe Well-Known Member

HIAG "Spurs are Daddies of Europe", <laugh>

7. gaf 71

gaf 71 Well-Known Member

Daddies sauce of Europe. Poor mans HP.

8. seanDCFC

seanDCFC New Member

The europa league is a vastly underrated competition. You forget that Benfica gave caused your lot a lot of problems when you played them and would again now if your teams met. You know all about Chelsea and you can never be confident of a win against them. The winners get &#8364;5,000,000 for winning it which is hardly to be sniffed at.

9. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Preferably without the opposition scoring twice first!

10. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

Steve Sedgley was the last kicker of a shoot out winner back in the early nineties...says it all! Ade just starts finding the net, then does that! Hudds was given as a good save, it was, offered at a perfect height so I thought the pen wasn't a good one, if your going to hit it so its 2ft off the ground you need to be putting your foot though it, a sidefoot effort is more than likely to be saved if the keeper guesses right...the hair thing went to his head! I thought he'd ping it down the middle.

http://tottenham-spur.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/tottenhams-penalty-shoot-out-record.html

11. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Damn good effort, absolutely. I really admire how well this team played for three games without half its starters. Walker in particular revived when he was asked to create danger down the right instead of avoid screwing up.

As to the penalties...I was hoping we'd go behind, because I knew if we went ahead we'd **** it up. So we went behind, then we went further behind, and then we lost. The truth is one team or the other chokes in shootouts, except when the both do. And the only thing that stays constant is that IT'S ALWAYS MY ****ING TEAM!

One time before I die, I'd like to see my team win a penalty shootout. I started following England, then there was Bayern-Chelsea last year, and now this. Where's the ****ing law of averages when you ****ing need it?

12. Chirpy rides again

Chirpy rides again Active Member

It's a money making exercise on a smaller scale. Not content with the CL just being a way to make rich clubs richer, EUFA say there has to be a financial safety net too in case any of the usual suspects take an early bath. If the CL losers were turfed out and the EL winners automatically qualified for the CL it would at least have some merit. As it is, it gives teams at least a taste of European football. That may seem irrelevent to somebody whose team qualifies every year Luke, but to be honest the CL holds very little interest for me. It would if we were in it, but it is a club competition and I only support one club, whatever competition they are in.

13. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Ah yes, the famous scouse wit!...<doh>

14. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

Prehaps others will see now,why i've never rated Ade,he was total pants last night,and the penalty kick was ****e.

15. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Had to share this from our board <laugh> I'm sure you'll see the funny side . . .

please log in to view this image

16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Is there no end to the comments that come back to 'haunt' him ? <laugh>

17. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Very few of the 10 that finished the match are starters for next season. There were some positives. The spirit showed by the team throughout the match was good and the officials gave us nothing. Penalties are a lottery and those that volunteer to take them should not be criticised, and so I'm not going to.

18. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Peskie is so predictable. The only time we hear from him is when we've just lost, then right on cue he pops up like some malevolent jack-in-the-box.

At the moment we are without Kaboul, Sandro, Bale, Lennon, & Defoe. That is half of what I would consider to be our first choice outfield players. So, with only half a regular team, I suppose we're not doing too bad, all things considered.

19. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

Ade seems to have this"look at me everybody" attitude,"hey look I'm Ade,watch me." His first touch was rubbish all night but it seems to be "I'm Ade,it doesn't matter,I'm for me and nobody else." He doesn't seem to think about his team mates on the field. He had three Basel players around him last night towards the end and tried to go it alone instead of passing which he could have done. No wonder City didn't want him any more.

Damn players for getting sent off,they are totally thick.

So what if we do make the CL next season,what will we do in it? We struggled in the early matches in the EL and only had one good game against Inter which we nearly fluffed after being 3-0 up. There are positives. We didn't lose even without Bale and Lennon and Demps can find the net. We scored two against a stingy defence.

We all know we need new strikers.
    Well done Basel,on balance you deserved it.

20. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

they have only conceded 6 times in europe this season,4 of those goals we scored