1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spurs team following the T.W. and prospects

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Spurf, Sep 2, 2016.

1. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

Not quite. Because you don't *have* to have 25 in your squad. As such you do not *have* to have a minimum of 8 HG players. You do, however, *have* to have a maximum of 17 overseas over-21 players.

Our squad, for example, does not have 8 HG players but isn't breaking the rules. Which you'd expect if the "minimum of 8 HG players" phrase was accurate.

2. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Read it again, it says in a squad of 25, therefore if you had the maximum number in your squad you would have to have 8 HG included.

3. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

That's exactly what he said. The 8 HG player rule only applies to teams who want to name a 25-man squad. A team who names a 19-man squad only needs 2 HG players. The HG rule only applies to the difference between the 17 maximum overseas players and the 25-man total. So, the only time you'd 'need' to have 8 HG players is if you 'want' a 25-man squad but it already includes 17 overseas players.

I could repeat that again in slightly different words but then I'd be doing an impression of AKCJ. I think it's pretty clear.

4. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I know, you have just said the same thing as me, Lenny seemed to think the two quotes conflicted in some way <ok>

See post #19

5. lennypops

Oh yeah - you're right. As long as the "must" part is with reference only to a squad of 25.

Still there's plenty of references to a "minimum of 8 HGs" elsewhere.

Definitely think it's clearer to talk of a maximum of 25 and a maximum of 17 overseas players. This idea of a minimum of 8 HGs often causes confusion, seems to me.

Diego likes this.
  6. lennypops

...Point is that we didn't have to keep Carroll to meet a min number of HGs. (That's if the rule is still what we 3 seem to agree the rule is).

Diego likes this.
  7. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

So, what's Tom still doing at Spurs? His lack of physical strength, power or pace seem to make it impossible for him to fit into a Mauricio Pochettino team as I understand it. I recall him running 50 yards against Colchester and his tongue was hanging out and he was knackered. It was about an hour into the match.

If we could guarantee that we would be comfortably ahead in a game, he could come on as a substitute and be excellent in playing a possession based holding game but the PL is too unpredictable for that. I don't see him displacing Son, GKN or Sissoko from the bench.

The only way in which he seems to 'fit' is if we play a fast counter-attacking style and he is the player to get the ball to Sissoko and GKN, quickly and accurately. However, that's the antithesis of our style under Mauricio Pochettino. All very curious. Let's hope that it's not another wasted season for the lad as he deserves to be playing football for someone.

8. lennypops

Know what you mean but fitness and stamina, of all things, can be fixed. I don't see it as unthinkable to have him in the team for cup games. He's had some very good games for us in the EL over the years.

Plus he's probably on relatively low wages and the fact he's still with us perhaps indicates a desire to be here and buy into what Poch is doing.

Mind you: how is he still here? Did he get a new contract? His old one extended? I missed that.

9. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I believe that we had the option to extend his contract by a year and we used it.
    There was no announcement anywhere though, as that's not something that we do, for some reason.

Carroll is a decent player with a good attitude that's been at the club a long time and seems to be well liked.
    He also counts as homegrown and club-trained for the Champions League, which is something that we need to pay attention to now.
    Low wages, a probable low fee if we sell him and a lack of moaning about being a squad player all contribute, in my opinion.

The RDBD likes this.
  10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I think with Tommy Carroll, he's in a predicament where he knows realistically he won't get better than playing for Spurs and there probably aren't many Prem sides that would be interested in taking him at present, not that he's a bad player but just that he isn't the sort of player that most clubs are in need of right now - the top sides have better alternatives while he's not made out for the grit of a relegation battling side. So he may have had a choice of leaving and dropping down a tier - which can sometimes work wonders or result in a downward spiral towards obscurity - or stay at the club where he'll likely get around 15 appearances (if that) during the season but remain in familiar surroundings and with many friends (supposedly a popular figure around the dressing room and someone Poch likes on a personal level).
    Any one know if Carroll is a Spurs fan? Growing up with the club he must have an affinity with Spurs at the very least so perhaps he's just happy to be here. I mean ****, pay me £15k a week to train at Hotspur Way and make the odd 15 minute appearance here and there while throwing in the occasional start in a domestic cup and I'd be buzzing!

11. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I blame you for this, if it's true.

If I've imagined it following a night of blue cheese and heavy red wine, then I apologise.

"Tottenham have made contact over the possibility of 32-year-old forward Emmanuel Adebayor returning to White Hart Lane, according to a report.

The Togo international is a free agent after being released from a short-term deal with London rivals Crystal Palace, and manager Mauricio Pochettino could be looking to bring in Adebayor as back up for Harry Kane and Vincent Janssen.

Italian outlet
    TuttoMercatoWeb claim that the former Arsenal and Manchester City star has been contacted and could join Spurs on a pay-as-you-play deal."

12. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I think that they've got the years wrong.
    West Brom and Sunderland have been put off by his wage demands, apparently. £75k p/w and a £2m signing on fee.
    Can't see Levy touching that with a barge pole, especially as he struggled so hard to shift him last time.
    More chance of signing Chamakh or Aliadiere, who are also both out of contract.

The moral of this story? Don't play for Arsenal or you'll end up jobless. Possibly.

13. RobSpur

RobSpur Well-Known Member

<yikes> <yikes> <yikes>

14. RobSpur

RobSpur Well-Known Member

I think it might actually be worth someone giving him a pay as you play deal, but after his behaviour with our club, I wouldn't take him if he was playing for free.

Besides which, I am reminded of the words of England rugby coach eddie jones who said that a team can afford one "character" but not two. Aside from the fact that Ade is well on the "twat" side of the character/twat fence, I wouldnt want to risk him being anywhere near Sissoko.

15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Someone should offer him a pay per goal contract. He'd score about a million goals.

Citizen Kane and RobSpur like this.
  16. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

<laugh>

This is nearly as stupid as the time we almost decided to make his loan move permane...

Oh, wait.

RobSpur likes this.
  17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Someone at TuttoMercato was clearly having a slow day.