1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spurs still playing the game.

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Spurf, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Another disappointment for Spurs as we dominate the game but lose the match. I don't think many would argue that Spurs did not play the better football and produced most of the chances during an FA Cup semi final that the media described as a great game. This from a piece in The Guardian by David Hyntner.

"Hazard’s intervention stemmed from Chelsea’s only corner of the game. Tottenham had 11. But it was Chelsea’s ruthlessness that was the standout feature. Antonio Conte knows how to win the big prizes and so do most of his players. Pochettino denied that the greater knowhow had made the difference but it was a factor that could not be overlooked."

Elsewhere in the paper they had described Chelsea as 'streetwise', yes who would argue with that. Streetwise being able to deal with an environment where rules are flaunted and power equates more to a cunning that laughs at integrity. Fair enough Chelsea have the sheer brilliance of Hazard and you cant argue with that but alongside him they have players like Costa, Alonso, Kante, and Luiz. all of whom can perform the so called 'dark arts' which coupled with a referee more interested in 'letting the game flow' results IMO in the game of football being subverted to the ravenous demands of wealthy owners, glory seeking fans and sensation creating media.

This isn't a new phenomena I can remember a Leeds team who smashed a very creative Chelsea team on their way to winning and teams like France and Spain being literally kicked out of tournaments before the rules changed to protect them. Yes the rules have changed so that you can't get near to a goalkeeper to challenge for the ball for example but of course players and managers have found new ways to get around playing to the rules.

The rule breaker who gets away with it can walk away with the prize, this is the loop hole society after all.
    Personally I'm glad that I support a team who try to play the game in a good way and although Spurs have toughened up with players like Wanyama and Dembele neither are cynical or use the methods employed by Kante or Luiz The final insult for me was when Murphy awarded Luiz man of the match. If that doesn't show how the modern footballer views the game then what does.

I don't want to see Spurs change to become more like Chelsea I will keep hoping that we will finally get the breaks and the officials that will see Spurs win.

2. That Luiz wasn't booked once is an utter disgrace.

3. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

We might lose our team in the process of being too honest. Is it Chelsea's fault the officials are inconsistent?

I think we need to be a bit more savvy, I think we are trying to be. Wouldn't say we are a soft bunch...we just don't get away with it, I don't know why that is. As for the trophies, I think it's more to do with our winning mentality/experience or lack of than the fact that we are a fair team...feels like this bunch needs a trophy, like a striker needs a goal, even if it goes in off someone's backside.

4. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

This problem has been very evident in Europe. Chelsea are very much in that mould. Costa, Fabregas Pedro and others are very good at playing officials. It's very frustrating to see some of their antics not being punished. I am still of the view that we need a captain in the game more than Hugo. Get into the referee in a fair way and see that constant fouling and other cheating is getting more attention.

However, in Europe we're on our own. Most referees buy the most ridiculous diving. Against Leverkusen away this season we just got killed by the ref giving endless free kicks against us. Gent was much the same. Short of joining in and cheating like Suarez or Pepe, I don't know how to even up the playing field.

5. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Two things stand out for me over the past couple of years. Spurs play the best football in the PL and can't win the biggest games. As to the latter, I agree with Spurlock. We seem to be heading in the right direction, but won't get over the hump unless and until we do. At the moment I'm more appreciative of the former. It's a remarkable accomplishment for a club with the sixth biggest budget.

I've reached the greatest height of fan delusion short of thinking next year will be Liverpool's year: the belief I can help. Could Spurs benefit from adopting the Cubs' judo approach to difficulties? When asked how he could deal with the pressure of trying to break a string of 107 consecutive titleless seasons, manager Mark Madden said nobody will single us out for being the 108th straight Cubs team to fall short--but nobody will ever forget us if we can end the run. Who wouldn't want to be in that situation? When they went down 3-1 in a seven game knockout series, Anthony Rizzo, their first baseman, said, this is what makes it a good story: having to overcome adversity. The ability to always provide the sunniest possible perspective was striking, and is probably worth emulating.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  6. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

7. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They won't get punished until they get criticised and that's not happening.
    If Dele Alli had gone down like Moses did, then he'd have been crucified.
    For some reason it's acceptable for some people to cheat, but not for others.

8. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

I take great pride in the fact that Pochettino has Spurs playing a much
    more physically intimidating game than usually associated with us,
    WITHOUT resorting to the contemptible aspects of the game.

Similarly I note that Spurs supporters In Internet land very quickly
    pile into less desirable aspects of our own players (Bale/Alli diving
    antics etc) well before the media even think of witch hunts etc.

redwhiteandermblue likes this.