1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spurs 2016/17 Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Shark, May 9, 2016.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I believe that Monaco sent back half of their allocation, too.
    That would mean that we'll be setting a record for one club's fans attending a Wembley fixture.
    85,000-odd, beating Sunderland's 75,000, IIRC.

Lovearsenalcock and Shark like this.
  2. Shark

Shark Active Member

Maybe you should add this to the thread on the general board accusing us of failing to sell out for our opening CL game... What chump stated that off?

3. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

It was a Chelsea fan. I might have to remind him that their game's on Friday, too... <whistle>

4. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Still the concern that FA / "corporates" have been allocated seating that they
    then do not use. So you have empty blocks around the stadium.

It would help if the club can publicly state how many tickets they have definitely
    sold to supporters via their ticketing ops (as a % of total allocation) , a few days
    before each CL game.

Then you will know the true nature of things.

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Or just stop wasting that allocation...

6. The RDBD

First you need to know the scale of waste.
    Ex : Wembley is 80K, 50K was allocated to Spurs, at least 10K to away club, rest to "hospitality" .

So if Spurs says 45K sold, Monaco only took 5K, then if "hospitality" bought 20K, then
    10K are empty seats. On the night, if there are visibly a lot more empty seats then that,
    then "hospitality" have been a waste for that game.

Next you can see WHERE the waste was.
    I suspect a large amount of the Spurs allocation was in the "crows nest" blocks, with
    hospitality given too many prime blocks. If the empty seats are mainly in the latter, then
    the FA have again effed up.

7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Just done some checking and I'm not sure how accurate that Hotspur Related tweet is.
    There are still a few seats on sale on the OS, though they do seem to be very limited.
    I'm not sure if they're returns or if we've held a few back, again. Can't see the point in that.

The crowd record would be for a Spurs home game that's not a final, I think.
    It's stood at 75k since 1938.

8. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I don't think there will be very many allocated to the FA. Club Wembley members couldn't buy seats but were offered the chance to enter a ballot for a small number of tickets for each match. I'm guessing that will only be 100 or so as they were not making a charge for them.

9. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I am RIDICULOUSLY excited about this game. It's not the CL, nor the opponents but the thought of 70,000 or 80,000 Spurs together for the game. I'm going with my daughter and meeting my father and a brother and sister for a meal before we go to the game together. No matter what the result (we'd better bloody muller them!) it will be a special night.

I think we can generate one hell of an atmosphere. Everyone needs to commit to shouting themselves hoarse in the cause. We need to show the world what our football club can do. If I can speak after the game then I won't have fulfilled my role in the evening's drama. I implore everyone else to do the same. Let's bloody well do this!

10. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Nice family game for you,Brian. Don't forget your cough sweets!

Lovearsenalcock likes this.

11. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Ohh so tempting....I'm up North(Yorkshire)...means the whole day off work and getting back early hours Thursday morning. My lad got school etc.

Would love to experience that many Yids going nuts.

12. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

It will be the best-attended Champions League home game ever played in Britain, although Spurs would need to fill Wembley to set a record for a Champions League match, with 87,695 having watched Barcelona's victory over Manchester United in the 2011 final, also at Wembley.

They remain some way off the British record of 135,826, set by a Celtic against Leeds United in a European Cup match at Celtic Park in 1970 and also the European record.

It may surpass the 84,467 who watched Manchester City against Stoke City at Maine Road in 1934, the current post-World War I attendance record for a domestic match in England.

Chairman Daniel Levy said: "The response from our fans has been fantastic and is testament to just how big this football club is. What a way for us to mark our return to the competition."

Spurs will also surpass Arsenal's biggest crowd, 73,707 against Lens for a Champions League match at the old Wembley in November 1998.

Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino said: "Now we have the possibility to bring 90,000 people. This impresses us, and maybe people will realise the size of the club.

I know that I've already issued a rallying cry but this is A BIG DEAL.

Okay, it's not WHL but Wembley. However, it's still North London, our patch. We need to sell the few remaining tickets and show the doubters that we will turn up and rock the place to its foundations. When I watch the game on TV after I get home, I expect the commentator and 'experts' to say how amazing our fans are and what an atmosphere we created. Get this right and we'll have a great night, a great CL run, a tremendous season at Wembley next season and move seamlessly into our new home.

Additionally, it'll be a draw to players both current and future to play for a club support that sells out Wembley and makes it theirs. This is the first step into our future. Let's all enjoy it. Let's sing our hearts out - all of us. This can be a night we tell our grandchildren about. No half measures, we all need to do this. See you there!

13. Shark

Shark Active Member

COME ON!!! No Ifs no buts... Get yourselves to Wembley. Let's get measured on the Richter Scale...

COYS!!!!!!

14. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Looks like there are a couple of thousand tickets left on the web-site. Judging by where they are they look like Monaco's returns

15. The RDBD

Jihad against the infadel (or Gooners) takes precedence over football, Spurlock.

Alternatively, if your boy is of spectator age, tickets for two + overnight stay, and at
    most one and half days out of school in the second week of the new school year,
    is hardly a crime for such an event.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  16. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I'm making a late play for a ticket, I know West side was designated as the Spurs end but where else are our fans concentrated, if anywhere if anyone knows? It looks like I can get blocks 249, 113 - 115, or 221 - 219. Thanks

17. Shark

Shark Active Member

I wouldn't sweat it, we're everywhere! Get yourself in!!

18. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Done!

Shark likes this.
  19. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Janssen will give us as many memories as Pav? I did like him. Is he still playing in Russia or retired?

....lets show Monaco how its done.Enjoy!

20. Shark

Shark Active Member

So they want us all in white...

Attached Files: