1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sprouts - help needed

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by WBA2_QPR3, Dec 5, 2012.

1. WBA2_QPR3

WBA2_QPR3 Well-Known Member

Not heard of that rrrrrr's but shall ask my butcher

We've od'd on pheasant this autumn and I left it too late to get a guinea fowl so it's partridge this year. Not sure on how to make a decent bread sauce

2. rrrrrs

rrrrrs Well-Known Member

Wuba, I'll pm you.

3. Secret ranger

Secret ranger New Member

Food freaks !

4. Azmi

Azmi Well-Known Member

5. Stamford Brook R

Stamford Brook R Well-Known Member

Sorry, but this has to be said...

You can shove your ****ing sprouts up your r's,
    you can shove your ****ing sprouts up your r's,
    you can shove your ****ing sprouts,
    you can shove your ****ing sprouts,
    you can shove your ****ing sprouts up your r's.

<ok>

6. CORKeR

CORKeR Well-Known Member

rrrrrrrrs, this is not a Cork thing, but yes, Clonakilty black pudding is the best there is. Add a bit o' scallop, and you're in heaven.

7. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

8. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Is that garnished with a sprout? Otherwise I'm afraid you've gone way off topic with this post!!!

9. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

In my youth we went through many brace of pheasants, especially over the Christmas period.

My father ran a building construction business and they used to do a lot of renovation/repair work on country estates in Hampshire. These Lords of the manor were often very tardy paying their bills, but used to get their game-keepers to palm off pheasants to dad to ease the finanicial pain. Dad would get the local butcher to pluck and prepare the pheasants for the oven - try this tongue teaser after a few drinks - "I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm a pheasant pluckers son, and I'm only plucking pheasants until the pheasant plucker comes"

I recall on occasion sometimes spitting out a few lead shot when consuming the bird.

Now to the bread sauce, which in my opinion really makes a meal with game, as do Brussels sprouts - my wife has attempted to replicate my mother's recipe, and it is quite basic:-

- push cloves into a medium sized peeled onion
    - place in saucepan, add milk and warm (not full boil)
    - gradually stir in white breadcrumbs to thicken the mix
    - add butter
    - add fresh nutmeg
    - add salt & pepper to taste
    - allow mix to simmer for a while

...and voila bread sauce.

10. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Mmmm, catchy!

11. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

finally an explanation for sweetcorn

12. rrrrrs

rrrrrs Well-Known Member

Have many good friends from Cork, spent a lot of good times in that neck of the woods. Clon pudding was always best served on toasted brown bread after 9pints on a Friday night

13. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Disappointing - There was I thinking you were a pleasant f*cker!...:grin:

14. sth of france QPR

[h=1]Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cranberries with Barley[/h]January 20, 2012
    please log in to view this image

My favorite term of endearment in French has always been mon petit chou chou, which literally translated means “my little cabbage cabbage”. The French use it to mean something like “my sweetheart,” and it may or may not actually refer to a pastry instead of cabbage. Regardless, the literal translation made me giggle when I learned it in high school and it still makes me giggle today. Please, call someone you love a “cabbage cabbage” today and wait for their reaction. If you want to say it in French, chou sounds just like “shoe”. I dare you.
    Anyway, my favorite French term of endearment has come to mind often this winter as I’ve sliced up Brussels sprouts to roast for dinner. Having never eaten Brussels sprouts as a kid, I was intimidated by those foreign baby cabbages. This winter I vowed to get over my apprehension. I learned to like them on my first attempt: steamed on the stove and oven roasted under a layer of Fontina cheese. Like turned to love when I learned to roast them, halved, in a cast iron pan, and I officially tombé amoureux (fell in love) when I found a quick sauté and broil method that bakes my little “cabbage cabbages” in under ten minutes.

Since falling in love with Brussels sprouts, I have singlehandedly put away at least 10 pounds of roasted sprouts. I love their salty, crispy exterior and softer, steamed interior. Technically speaking, Brussels sprouts are not baby cabbages, but a special kind of miniature cabbage. The flavor is a bit reminiscent of broccoli, which makes sense because they are both Brassicas. Brassicas are notoriously high in anti-cancerous, DNA protective properties.
    I crave Brussels every few days, and I’ve developed an odd habit of eating a huge bowlful of roasted Brussels after my weekly yoga class. Desolée, mes petits chou choux, I think as I slice off their tails and cut them in half. By the time I bite into crisp, roasted sprouts, I’m not really sorry at all.

In addition to my newfound love for Brussels sprouts, I’ve been becoming more adventurous and knowledgable about various types of whole grains. Every time I visit the new health food store in town, I make a point to buy a new variety. So far I’ve tried wheat berries, farro, Kamut, steel cut oats, and most recently, barley. I like to cook up a big batch of whole grains and try to come up with ways to use the leftovers over the week. I think it’s a good way to become acquainted with a grain, and it’s a very cheap way to eat.
    Though I haven’t made any direct taste comparisons, I think that wheat berries, farro and Kamut are all pretty similar in taste and texture, and could easily be substituted for one another. I expected barley to be like the others, with a chewy exterior and soft interior, but I was surprised to find that it is fluffy and soft. Barley seems like a cross between brown rice and oatmeal. Thus it’s a little creamy and almost risotto-like, which makes it the perfect grain to soak up dressing in this recipe.
    Another thing I’ve learned about cooking whole grains is that their cooking time varies, sometimes even from the time listed on the bag. I just mixed two cups of uncooked, hulled barley with six cups of water (a 1:3 ratio), let it come to a boil, and then simmered it, covered, for a little less than an hour. One cup of uncooked barley will yield plenty for this recipe and two cups of uncooked barley will leave you with tons of leftovers. I encourage you to get creative and come up with new ways to enjoy barley in your cooking.

This recipe is one that I’ve been working on for a while now. Brussels sprouts tossed in a light maple syrup and balsamic dressing pair marvelously with sweet, freshly cooked cranberries, and a bed of creamy leftover barley is the perfect final resting place for mes petits chou choux. Tangy Gorgonzola cheese melts into the barley and toasted pecans add a nice crunch.
    This dish is easily deconstructed, however. Feel free to roast the Brussels sprouts with this method, and toss them with salt and a squeeze of lemon juice for a snack. Brussels, cranberries and pecans without barley make a great side dish. If you can’t find fresh cranberries, you can substitute dried cranberries (which is a shame, in my opinion, but do as you wish). Just toss the dried cranberries in with the sprouts after they’re done roasting. Vegan? Omit the cheese.

4.0 from 1 reviews

Save Print
    Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cranberries with Barley
    Author: Cookie and Kate
    Serves: 2

Ingredients

• 1 pound Brussels sprouts, tips cut off, discolored leaves removed and sliced in half (smaller sprouts are better than large sprouts)
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • Salt
    • 2/3 cup fresh cranberries (or 1/3 cup dried cranberries)
    • 1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or goat cheese
    • 1/3 cup freshly toasted pecans
    • 1 1/2 cups cooked barley, reheated (see instructions above)
    • 1 tablespoon maple syrup, or more to taste
    • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, or more to taste

Instructions

1. Preheat your broiler.
    2. Set a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat on the stove. Let it heat up for two to three minutes. It should be so hot that a few drops of water sizzle and quickly disappear after contact.
    3. In a medium sized bowl, toss the prepared Brussels sprouts with olive oil and salt. Toss well, so that the sprouts are evenly coated in a thin layer of oil.
    4. Once the pan is hot, dump the sprouts into the pan and quickly rearrange them so the flat sides are face down. Let them cook for two minutes.
    5. Toss the fresh cranberries into the pan and transfer the pan to your broiler. The pan will be heavy and hot so use oven mitts and be careful! Let the Brussels broil for about three minutes. Check the sprouts for doneness—their tops should be a little browned and the bottoms caramelized. How long you should leave them in there depends on your preferences and your oven. The cranberries should have started popping by now; set the hot pan on your stovetop for a couple of minutes while you reheat the barley.
    6. Toss the warm barley, sprouts, cranberries, cheese and pecans in a bowl and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. Season with salt, divide into smaller bowls, and enjoy!

Notes

• Inspired by Love and Lemons’ maple and balsamic roasted Brussels sprouts recipe and one of Mark Bittman’s recipes in The Food Matters Cookbook. The quick-roasted sprouts method is adapted from The Kitchn via Jacqui of So Good and Tasty (thanks Jacqui!).
    • Serves two.
    • I highly recommend using a 12-inch cast iron skillet rather than a large oven-safe, non-stick skillet because typical non-stick skillets release toxins at high temperatures.
    • Brussels sprouts are best cooked flat side down because the heat gets trapped inside the sprout and, in effect, steams it. It’s the best way to get crispy flat sides and cooked insides.
    • If you’re adding pecans, I recommend toasting the pecans over medium heat in a separate pan. They will burn over high heat.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  15. DT3

DT3 Guest

Beautiful skills what's your weather like? I miss France so much this time of year

16. WBA2_QPR3

You could paddle a boat to France from my house in the Peak District today

White Xmas?

Flood Xmas more like

17. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Well he is from Scotland, probably covered them in lard, rolled in coconut, deep fried and ate with a side of cheese and mayo. Build up Hadriens Wall, give the sweaties independance, send back all the aggressive homeless on the streets of London and save the NHS at the same time.
    Blimey must has slept bad last night

kiwiqpr likes this.
  18. Azmi

Azmi Well-Known Member

Bit harsh but it was the only place the Romans built TWO walls to keep the barbarians out.

19. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Christmas with veggies - that's a cruel and unnatural punishment, surely you can appeal. My sister in law is a veggie, I always have a brief tingle of excitement when she compliments me on the roasties as she tucks into her nut cutlet. Roasted in goose fat of course. She's never asked and I've never told her.

Just back from the mega shop, all sorted was planning to do nothing more today than watch the stream from Newcastle, and cook the ham. Now I have to go out again to buy scallops, guinea fowl and black pudding, plus some extra emergency sprouts.

Wubba - how long do you leave the cheese out to breathe?

20. WBA2_QPR3

2 days minimum in the front porch

Get your figs today too as they won't get any more in before the big day.

Decant the port Xmas day morning

Just off to the market for me sprouts