1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

SPRAY

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Oct 23, 2016.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Yet again I despair of watching another referee who can't use common sense when marking out 10 yards at free kicks.

Here's an idea --
    1. Mark out where the ball is to be placed -- not usually a problem.
    3. Mark out a line, behind which any 'wall' should stand.
    4. Point out the line to defenders and tell them to get back or get booked.

........ oh, I nearly forgot to add No. 2

When pacing 10 yards could you please actually measure out 10 yards - not ( at best ), 8
    It is farcical to see what happens in reality. The referee starts out using proper 'yards' for the first 2 or 3 steps. Then he becomes tired and the length of stride visibly shortens for the next 2 or 3 steps. Then he 'meets' the wall of defenders - who he tries to push back whilst also attempting to walk through them to complete the 10 yards - and, at the same time he manages to spray everybody's boots ! This always ends up with the last 3 or 4 steps being no more than a couple of yards.

Why don't you step to one side when you 'encounter' the wall of defenders - finish off the 10 yards, and spray the line ?--- is is because you have no common sense ?

One other thing ( my list is almost infinite ) - are we ever going to see players being told to take a throw-in from where the ball went out ? - instead of 10 or more yards 'upfield' - the linesman could spray a 'dob' at the relevant point ( it would give him a useful input )

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  2. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Totally agree, only problem with the linesman doing the dot will only work if it is on his side. The ref could do it but will slow game up.

3. brb

brb CR250

How did we manage to play the game the 100 years before spray?

4. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

brb - let's not get nostalgic !
    I actually think the spray is a good idea -- how many times, in the past, have we seen the wall of defenders creep nearer to the ball ? My point is the farcical manner in which the referee tries to use the spray -- whilst at the same time not pacing out 'full' yards - before he has to physically push back the wall ( or tries to plough through the wall in order to finish his '10' yards ) - and more often than not succeeding in only spraying the boots of the players.

The spray was introduced to stop one aspect of cheating by defenders - I think that Mr.Haywood's spray, on Saturday, had clogged up his whistle after he had awarded Charlton their second penalty - hence he couldn't blow it for a penalty, of which, The Gills were cheated !

5. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

100 years ago the players would not have dared to hassle and abuse the ref.......no matter how bad he may have been. Just ask BRB........ :)

6. brb

brb CR250

Wouldn't it be better if the players all wore headgear with electrodes inside and a measuring device, if your not the full 10 yards you get blasted in the brain with mega watts. Of course with the ref's they will never need helmets because they are already brain dead.