1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Sporting Desert Island Discs

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Stroller, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

You know the format - you're cast away on a desert island and you're allowed to take your favourite eight tunes to comfort you in your loneliness. This variation allows you eight sporting DVDs instead.

Here are mine.....

The 1970 World Cup Final
    The best football team I have ever seen, finishing off with one of the best goals ever scored in the tournament.

The Thriller In Manila (1971)

Possibly the greatest fight ever with Frazier's corner refusing to send him out for the 15th round.

The 1973 Grand National

Crisp v Red Rum. One of the great jumping performances of all time - by the horse that finished second.

The 1977 Open
    The Duel In The Sun - Watson v Nicklaus. Virtual matchplay for the last two rounds with Watson winning on the last green.

Botham's Ashes (1981)
    One of sport's greatest comeback stories - by the player and the team (and not forgetting RGD Willis).

France v Germany 1982 WC SF
    Hard to think of a game with more drama - including GBH by Schumacher on Battiston.

QPR v Chelsea 2011
    Never known an atmosphere like it.

Australia v England RU 2016 (three match series)
    Absolutely brutal, and a magnificent whitewash for England.

Let's have your choices.

2. qpherts

qpherts Well-Known Member

Play off final of course. Leonard v hagler. Oldham play off at home.botham ashes.5-5 v Newcastle .75/76 DVD.m city last game.4-4 p vale away!!!

3. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

You've chosen the best boxing match ever Strolls, I'll opt for the 2nd ( as well as trying to have original choices ) ...

Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Tommy Hearns — September 16, 1981 - Leonard beat the undefeated Hearns in the 14th round.

This years Super Bowl 2017 - Despite being 25 points down the Patriots came back to defeat the Falcons 34 - 28 in overtime.

Liverpool 0 Arsenal 2 - 26th May 1989 - the top two sides in div 1 met in the final match of the season and finished dramatically as Michael Thomas scored a last minute winner.

Mens 2008 Wimbledon Final 6th July 2008 - Nadal v Federer - Probably the greatest tennis match ever.

Brazil 1 Germany 7 8th July 2014 - The complete obliteration and humiliation of the host nation ever in the World Cup finals.

England v Australia 2015 Ashes Trent Bridge - Day one and England skittle out the Aussies for 60 runs in the morning session with Broad taking 8 wickets. This test won the Ashes this year and was a humiliating defeat for Michael Clarke's team.

2005 Champions League Final Liverpool v AC Milan Istanbul

2003 Rugby World Cup Final - Jonny Wilkinson’s winning drop kick in the Rugby World Cup, 2003 in Sydney, Australia.

hammersmith junior and Stroller like this.
  4. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

1967 league cup final I will never bore of that

1986 worlds series, Mets v Red Sox, all 7 games, mets won 4-3, I went to the first game, my first baseball game, Mets lost 1-0 but won the series

Olga Korbut asymmetric bars 1976 Olympics, defying gravity

Bothams 1981 ashes series, awe inspiring

Eng v Aus rugby 2003 World Cup final, ****ing yes

Ali v Frazer 1971 rumble fight

The 2013 under 15's girls national club cricket championship, the one where my daughter took the winning final catch, so wish it was filmed

20** Champion league final, QPR V someone, the one we won 3-0

5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Nice thread Strolls.

A highly personal choice in that I saw all the selections live, and would love to relive the experiences. For every single one the friends/ family I was with played a major part in the thrill. I would have loved to have seen Ali/Foreman or Ali/Frazier and Leonard/Hearns (or any of the Leonard/Hearns/Duran/Hagler generation) live.

2016 Chicago Blackhawks 0 New York Rangers 1 in overtime. First experience of the top level of a great sport and a revelation. And I end up following the losers.
    1990 WC semi final England 1 Germany 1. Pure emotion. I follow the losers.
    1989 European Cup semi final A.C Milan 5 Real Madrid 0. Best display of football ever. Winners!
    1986 Boxing Day Ashes Test at the MCG. We whipped them, Bay 13 silenced. Winners!
    1972 QPR 3 Cardiff City 0. The start of 45 years of mostly pain, but worth it. Winners (this time...)
    2017 Dinamo Dresden 1 Hannover 2. No need for a record of the game, 95 minutes footage of the Dinamo fans will do. I follow the losers, but I don't think the result matters too much to them.
    1975 QPR 2 Liverpool 0 first sight of the finished article. Winners!
    1987 Australia v England day/night one day international at SCG. Allan Lamb scores 18 off the last over to win it for us.

6. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Some great sport there already chaps...

Some of mine a little more obscure but quality none the less...

1966 World Cup Final, sadly we'll never get anywhere near that team's achievement...

1971 The first Ali v Frazier, truly the fight of the century and I was lucky enough to see it live at the Odeon Kensington...

1976 QPR 2 Leeds 0, for ten days we could dream, the best atmosphere I've experienced at Loftus Road for a Saturday match...

1979 Barry Sheene v Kenny Roberts British Grand Prix at Silverstone, a classic...

1981 World Speedway Final at Wembley won in spectacular style by Bruce Penhall...

1985 Hearns v Hagler, just three rounds but some of the most venemous punching ever seen, a true war...

2005 Ashes series, the most closely fought in memory, especially the 2nd test which England won by 2 runs...

2012 The 'Miracle of Medina', Ian Poulter with an amazing last five holes partnering Rory inspired the greatest comeback in Ryder Cup history...

Bound to be lots that could have been included as well...

7. Stroller

Nice one Nines. I considered including Hagler v Hearns, but it's only three rounds!

QPR999 likes this.
  8. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

They packed more action into those three rounds than many 15 round bouts!...

Enjoy...

9. Stroller

Good stuff. I'm particularly jealous of the two cricket occasions - a boxing day test is on my bucket list. I'm working round the corner from Lord's at the moment, so will be sneaking out to catch some cricket during the summer.

10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Following an Ashes tour in Australia is a great experience, and worth saving up for a lifetime trip for. Do it. It's a great country, especially for the sports fan. 60,000 in the MCG on Boxing Day.

I have only recently come to explicitly realise, though I think I always knew it, that being part of a great communal occasion - sporting or a memorable gig, a demo and so on - are amongst the biggest highs available to us humans.

11. peter1954qpr

peter1954qpr Well-Known Member

1967 League cup final
    1966 world cup final
    Ali v frasier 1
    2012 Ryder cup
    Duran v Sugar Ray 2
    England v Australia 2003 rugby world cup final
    Bothams Ashes

12. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Barry mcquigan fight at hq

Ronnie O'Sullivans 147 in about 5mins or just over

Bob Willis claiming 8 Aussie wickets in that fantastic match.

Mvg v Anderson in last years world darts championship.

Rangers beating Chelsea away in qtr final of league cup with Robinson scoring from halfway line.

13. Stroller

There's another thread right there.

14. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Good thread.
    Some of the events already mentioned were very memorable. My personal 4 best sporting memories are as follows;

1. Ireland V Italy Euro 2016 - what a thrill to finally see my country win a game at a major finals after 3 previous blanks. The whole day was simply fantastic and the memories will stay with me forever.

2. All Ireland football final 2011, Dublin V Kerry - not one for Ciarrai. We hadn't won an all Ireland for 16 years and were 4 points down with 7 minutes to go. In the final minute our keeper kicked an almighty free from about 50 yards out to win the game and I literally cried like a baby I was so happy.

3. 24.05.2014 - BZ - say no more.

4. Barcelona V PSG a couple of weeks back in the CL. Great comeback.

hammersmith junior and Stroller like this.
  15. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

That first round was just incredible,the ferocity was truly frightening. You just don't get fights like this anymore,it's nearly all about the hype these days. Oh the good old 1980's !

qpherts likes this.
  16. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Brazil's last goal in the 1970 World Cup Final.

The thriller in Manilla.

QPR 2 - Leeds 0 in 1975 in front of 35k at Loftus Rd, leaving us top of the league for a few days.

Watching Stan the man mesmerising the opposition in the UEFA Cup.

Botham's Ashes.

2003 Rugby World Cup Final.

2005 Ashes series, with England regaining the Ashes after so long.

Oh Bobby Zamora day.

Stroller likes this.
  17. QPRCate

QPRCate Well-Known Member

Apart from OBZ day, the Chelsea game and the league cup win that have already been mentioned.

I would add the game at home against Liverpool when we came from behind with the Mackie goal. Thinking of that night still makes hairs on back of my neck stand on end.

And England v Netherlands Euro1996.

most other great sporting events have been mentioned already

QPR999, rangercol and Stroller like this.
  18. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Yesterday's Swansea-Middlesbrough game has to be up there.