1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Speculate to Accumulate?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by ostlan, May 11, 2016.

1. ostlan

ostlan Active Member

Just my thoughts, but surely now, with the amount of riches available in the Premiership, this is the time to put some REAL investment into this club - both financially and mentally.

Surely there are players out there that, at this moment in time, that can't find a route into the Premiership, but after seeing what Leicester City have done, know they have the talent and will put in the work to be able to play up there with the big boys.

When you talk about Leicester you have to mention Steve Walsh and what he has done for them as a scout - no need to go over it again - but you get my drift.

So what do we do? Spend, spend, spend or get some good scouts out there to see what's hovering around and then maybe make the push the season after next?

And, again, is MM the right man to move us forward at the current time?

Just my thoughts - but all I want for ITFC is to be back up there, where I feel we truly belong - but it needs that real investment to get us back there.

COYB :)

2. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I think we need to start looking at hopefully signing up the better players from L1 & L2, young players who want and have the desire to step up another notch. There's some cracking young talent out there, players that could easily make the step up to the championship.
    I think we need to start investing wisely, signing 3 or 4 of these players at a combined cost of about £5m will not break the bank, and could be just what we need to get into the playoffs / autos.
    As for MM, I said from day 1 that he was the right man at the right time, and will only be good for 3 seasons. I think we need a more progressive manager, with fresher ideas, and who like to play decent football.

Bigalreigned likes this.
  3. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

We have done this to a degree Stretchy the past few years in taking McGoldrick / Sears / Cressy / Wordsworth I would say, tried to grab Judge/ Austin but them deals didn't materialise. Be pleased if we continue this and sign 1 or 2 from league 1 / 2 this summer.

I have a feeling next season may mark a considerable switch in youngsters gaining more opportunities in the first team - just have that feeling. We have the summer to develop these further. I hope Douglas plays less next year, have a feeling Bru may be a surprise exit to a degree and hope Hyam is simply back up. Stewart/ Coke, lets just pay up these deals and have both gone I'd say neither are going to feature.

We may well do Stretchy to a degree but he's under contract for quite a while yet, no club is going to pay the clause so Mick will be here to stay. I actually think we'll play somewhat a more pleasing style next season ( not triangles ) but better than this and the last. We'll see anyway, just a hunch.

Interesting summer ahead.

4. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Don't we say that about our style of play every season under Mick Westy and then always have the same debate?

San Diego and Bigalreigned like this.
  5. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

You have a point there ptc.

6. Westlake33

Possibly so PTC quite possibly!

I just have a hunch with some of the lads coming through that aren't the biggest, and how we did end the season playing wise that does indicate to me ( though the season was a dead rubber ) we may play a little differently next. We'll see I guess.

7. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

You would like to hope so. What's the point of getting the kids to play passing possession football in the academy for them to get into the first team to hoof it around and run around alot, it's such a waste of talent and good coaching!!

ostlan and San Diego like this.
  8. Westlake33

Oh agreed all day long take Barca the kids play the same as the first team - shame Royston Keane put us five years back with removing Klug but we're producing at long last again so you'd expect a few kids to step up next year.

I would have much rather Hyam/Douglas gone, Coke released and maybe harshly Bru flogged and perhaps start again with Skuse/ McDonnell/ Dozzell / Bishop plus sign a couple others at CM.

9. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Guess I didn't take much notice of it but I just noticed that Blackpool dropped out of league one.
    Puts my woes/frustrations supporting the longest serving Championship club into perspective, that's for sure.

10. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

SD that stat that keeps popping up ' longest serving championship club' annoys me a little....it's only 50% a bad thing ...No promotion-bad...no relegation-good.

San Diego likes this.

11. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

As Mick has said before, there are a lot of clubs who would love to be in our position.. Big(ger) clubs have gone down. Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday for example and some have even got stuck down there, Sheffield United, Coventry. As always, things could be a whole lot worse

12. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Exactly Scowey.......it seems people hear a stat and just jump on it and keep churning it out..

...another one that annoys is the points dropped from a winning position...in my opinion the points are only gained after the final whistle.

13. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Don't take it the wrong way Weighty, I'm proud of it, not embarrassed. <ok>

I used that example sarcastically because as you say, many see it as a negative thing.

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM likes this.
  14. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

I read your post as a positive and not a negative mate no problem.

San Diego likes this.
  15. wellyblue

wellyblue Well-Known Member

stretchyboy and San Diego like this.