1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sparta Prague v Southampton Thurs 24th Nov 6pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SaintinSerbia, Nov 19, 2016.

1. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Ok I get the point. Deleted it.

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Firstly, we may have the answers/players already. It's just not working quite right. I kept away from the forum last night and have done a bit recently because it is like reading the same book over and over.

Charlie Austin is a goal scorer.
    Shane Long is a player who can work a defence ragged.
    Dusan Tadic is one of the most creative players in the league.

A few weeks ago the fans and media were waxing lyrical about the team as we went on an unbeaten run. That cycle could just as quickly return this week with two wins.

I am not saying it's great or right at the moment, I'm just saying that I am just going to see how it pans out. We have what we have and I'll see what Claude does. I believe he is more qualified than me to find the solution.

We went through spells like this last season. As fans we are often not satisfied unless all is rosey in the garden. Fans make out things are better than they maybe after a win and worse than they maybe after a defeat. That's just the way it is.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Come on, really. Yes they were poor at our place but they've still won 4 games, so they do something right.

Libby likes this.
  4. saintkitch

saintkitch Well-Known Member

They wern't just poor at St Mary's, I thought Sparta looked really poor last night. I understand its hard away from home in europe and i'm not going to over anaylize our performance.

We have been below par all season and thats mainly due to the upheaval in the summer, this may be the season where things unravel a little and might turn into a damage limitation season if we're not careful.

5. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

The problem with taking the 'it could have been worse' approach though, is that if the fans are unambitious and willing to settle for less, then the board will feel no pressure to improve the squad and performances. I know a few people on here get annoyed by the moaners (and let's face it some of the moaners do take it way too far), but if all our fans are just happy to let performances like this and Hull keep happening, then we might see nothing happen. I know booing is for morons etc, but by 'eck does the club need a massive kick up the arse for what they have done since May. We were the second best team in the country from Jan 1st until the end of the season. Now that is just a distant memory, and a massively wasted opportunity.

6. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Yep I hear you, and trust me I'm far from happy with performances like that, but am also not going into blind panic (yet!) As Fats says above, we have periods like this, every club does, and equally they are the forerunner to good periods more often than not. For all the talk of missing Mane and Pelle's goals, there's also the fact that for large periods they weren't scoring goals last season (or any good) and fortunately players like Long found form whilst Pelle was frankly awful.

7. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

(Anyway, can a man not take the opportunity to laugh at West Ham without being pulled up for it! What is the world coming to!!)

fatletiss likes this.
  8. Libby

Libby 9-0

I agree with most of that to be fair, particuarly the penultimate sentence and I said as much after the City game where we had all the 'challenging the top 6' talk which for me is utterly unrealistic this year.

I agree that we have got good players but in my opinion we are suffering from not signing another forward in the Summer and the squad isn't good enough to compete on all fronts.

The one extreme to the other really frustates and as ever the real truth is probably in between.

It's criminal that we're hoping for Boufal to save us in so many games already.

Romsey_Saint likes this.
  9. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

And we can't call it a blip anymore, it's obvious that we're being coached to play that way.

garysfc and Romsey_Saint like this.
  10. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

As i wrote earlier: the tactics we operate when we have the ball are dictated by CP.

garysfc likes this.

11. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Oh sure. It's the West Hams, Spurs and Pompeys of this world that keep me glowing during the cold, dark winter months.

12. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

Agree with this. Striker haven't missed a single chance yesterday as we haven't even created one for them. Another striker won't completely solve our problems, which revolve lately mostly around our inability to create chances. And I think it's more due to the way we're set to play, then due to quality of our players.

Velcro Roy likes this.
  13. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Yep,my guess is they work out who isn't a footballer and play a bang average floated ball over his head for him to watch and flail his hands at,then they score a goal and call it a day.

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

Peer pressure won <whistle>

15. Libby

Libby 9-0

The difference (for me) between this season and other blips though is that even when on form this year we've looked pretty toothless.

In the league I believe it's the least goals we've scored at this stage since being promoted again.

Also I think we've only scored more than once in 2 PL games which isn't great considering it was Burnley at home and West Ham (at their worst).

Good job we're pretty solid at the back.

Said it before and I'll say it again. I think luck with injuries will go a long way to deciding how we do this year.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  16. Libby

Libby 9-0

Apparently Saints fans fans were singing 'only here for the prossies' last night...

So on a positive note at least we know some Saints managed to score <whistle>

17. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I gave up reading this last night at page 24. I haven't read the other 6 pages so i apologise if i am repeating things. This is how I see it

It's simple. If we could actually

1. Create
    2. Score from it

We'd be a good team. Defensively (ignore last night's set pieces) we're well above average, we just cannot score. It's as simple as that.

My view anyway.

18. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

AGREED!

19. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

They had 10 first team players injured and their entire bench was made up of youngsters!

20. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

I couldn`t figure out what role Jay was supposed to be filling last night. Whatever it was, it was wholly ineffective. Before his injury, he made things happen with aggressive closing down, and being on the shoulder of defenders. Now defenders are playing around him.