1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton vs Leicester City 22/01/2017 KO 12pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Jan 19, 2017.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

You could say similar comparing Pierre to Drinkwater, who was much lauded last season. Pierre outplayed him yesterday in all areas, but matched him in finishing ability. Yet he gets over criticised by Saints fans.

2. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

That's because people are obsessed by the shiny, glittery stuff, like shooting, and miss what makes the watch tick.

fatletiss likes this.
  3. fatletiss

I don't disagree. My point was that you dismissed him based on Premier League ability, or that is how it came across. As I said, perfectly ok to express concern about recovery from injury.

Maya and Gardos could prove to be fine. I am not saying they will, but could. I'm just wanting people to think about what they say that's all.

As I said, we do need to sign a CB in my opinion.

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Lots of people around me were criticising Pierre and I thought he looked the worst player on the pitch for Saints. However, was then surprised to see him praised in the media and here, so I will hold fire and consider again. Perhaps his problem was getting 2 decent chances at goal and then missing....those are more memorable than what he was doing elsewhere. He does look an ugly player (in style), so his misses look worse than if he missed with more grace...if you understand me.

5. Le Tissier's Laces

I honestly thing that was it Fran - certainly in the first half he was the dominant midfielder in the boring stuff whereas JWP took the plaudits further up the field.

Onionman likes this.
  6. fatletiss

I do understand you Fran and it's how a lot of fans think. I believe he had 4 shots yesterday. They are still looking for two if the balls on the A27, but this doesn't detract from what he does. The other thing most fans get agitated about is keeping possession and not getting the ball forward. I could get in my soap box here but won't now. Yes, he and JWP could drive forward or pass the ball forward earlier sometimes, but that isn't always the thing to do. Fans often take a snapshot view of there and then. The game is 90 minutes and there will be lots of occasions in that 90 minutes when those players have the ball and we have to take the bigger picture.

The BBC site has a nice sketch of our first goal. It started down the side where I sit in the Kingsland with a throw in. We need uk going back and switching the play. I remember people near me groaning when we went backwards just after that throw. We needed up scoring. Often the space is available on the other side and you need to keep the ball until you can find a way to work into that space. The goal was after a long cross field pass from Virgil. It was virtually a sideways pass too, but not many people groaned.

The game is not always as easy to understand as people think.

7. fran-MLs little camera

Quote from Jay about JWP: "I was 100 per cent pleased for Prowsey,” said Rodriguez. “He's a good friend. I watch him in training and he probably works the hardest. I think he can score all different types of goals and I think now he'll kick on and score more. Everyone has faith in him, and he has belief in himself in what he can do, and the talent he's got, and I'm sure he's going to kick on. There's no pressure on him. He's a great lad, and he works 100 per cent every training session.”

JWP has so many admirers...in the media, England camp and within the club....with a few honourable exceptions amongst the fans. Needs a run in the team...now is the time for him to step up and score more. He has it in him, as yesterday showed. He is a footballers' footballer...good team man, consistent and whole-hearted. He was likened to Beckham (JWP's hero) on MOTD for his ability to whip the ball in and, like Beckham, he used to practice this after others had left training. Beckham said that when you are not the most talented player, you have to work on what you have. I'm hoping we will see the best of James over the coming years...and (almost afraid to say it:bandit:) he's a Saints man through and through.

Saint Helen, davecg69 and fatletiss like this.
  8. fatletiss

Clasie suffers with the same thing.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  9. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

My wife pointed out to me yesterday, every time I take her to a game we have never lost.....who wants to buy her a ST <laugh>

10. fran-MLs little camera

My son has so far seen 3 wins and a draw in the 4 games he has attended, so another lucky mascot.

11. fatletiss

Well put it this way, I won't be picking you up on your own again ... you'll be bringing her!!

12. fatletiss

13. fran-MLs little camera

Was a Xmas present...went to The Cowherds. Had a roast dinner....beef was superb. It was a good day....Saints win and day out with my son. Treats are always the best gift for oldies. Now just have 2 vouchers for cream teas to use. :emoticon-0110-tongu

fatletiss likes this.
  14. fatletiss

May I suggest you use those on different days? :)

15. fran-MLs little camera

16. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

I will look at her diary and see what game she can make next. :emoticon-0148-yes:

17. NISaint

NISaint Well-Known Member

I see we are 12/1 on SkyBet to sign Jagielka <laugh> Would be very harsh on Yoshida that!

18. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I see JWP is getting a lot of plaudits in the media........Managed to get into the team of the week. He has been Heralded as the next Morgan S even. Now that is the best compliment. He certainly put himself about yesterday. I also agree ( for once) that he needs more starts to keep him on the boil.....Well done Prowsey!!!!

19. Le Tissier's Laces

So much no!

20. Saint Alban

Saint Alban Active Member

I thought Pierre was immense yesterday - okay so he could have had a hat trick but to me the fact that he gets into those positions is very promising. Aside from a couple of stray passes I think he reads the game extremely well (as does Oriol).

The goal will come! Though ironically it will probably be a skewed/deflected effort rather than one of his well-struck drives (doesn't he catch them well?!)