1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton vs. Arsenal (FA Cup Fourth Round) 2016/17 Official Match Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TheOXOCube:5pur2, Jan 28, 2017.

1. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Have to say - Southampton's home support has been very bad for the entire match. Away fans have been in great voice though <ok>

2. Sign Da Ting

Sign Da Ting Well-Known Member

Chamberlin had impressed me the most this match. As someone already stated, he's a natural CM. Sadly, he won't get a decent run in that position, at least this season with the plethora of better options we have there.

3. Sign Da Ting

MOTM:

1. Welbeck.
    2. Perez.
    3. Chamberlin.

Special mention to Reine-Adelaide who also had a great game.

winifred122 likes this.
  4. BrunelGooner

5-0. Walcott hat-trick. Sanchez with his second assist.

We've absolutely bossed this game from start to finish <applause>

5. Sign Da Ting

Carved open like a turkey.

6. Sign Da Ting

Oh Perez really should've scored there, he deserves it.

BrunelGooner likes this.
  7. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

If I were a Southampton fan I would be very disappointed with the performance and the team selection; I don't understand why they rested so many players. League cup final is still a month away, and they are mid table in the league. Strange the home fans don't seem bothered by it...

8. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

What a performance. Our forward players all looked hungry for goals. Feel for Perez not getting that sixth goal at the end, he played so well. Walcott and welbeck returning with goals left right and centre.

Our make shift midfield did really well too, well done to the young players. Niles was really composed both on and off the ball.

And defensively we controlled everything.

Great game and on to the last 16.

BrunelGooner likes this.
  9. BrunelGooner

The only positive I can give Southampton is that Josh Sims kid looks a tremendous talent. He really stood out from a, quite frankly, terrible bunch. He is their only silver lining from today. Genuinely the worst performance from an opposition side we've faced all season.

Delighted we won, but expected more of a fight.

10. TheOXOCube:5pur2

TheOXOCube:5pur2 Pride of North London

What a win. In the end it was so comfortable. Many of the fringe and youth players stepped up and made a case for themselves today. Great to see Dat Guy and Walcott back on the scoresheet as well. Onto the Last 16 we go.

gooner4ever likes this.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Just back home and got the little one to bed, saw the last couple of minutes. Can't wait to watch the highlights later. Great to see Walcott and Welbeck on the scoresheet again <ok>

12. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Walcott is up to 14 goals in all competitions this season!

PINKIE likes this.
  13. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

Very impressed with Reine-Adelaide and good to see an improvement in Maitland-Niles since the Preston game. The Ox was good today as well, but the biggest thrill was the return of the W men and the view of attacking options we now have.

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Only able to listen to the second half on the radio today, so I'll watch the goals later. But totally agree it's great to see Welbeck and Walcott back in the team and scoring goals. Bodes really well for the second half of the season <ok>

winifred122 likes this.
  15. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

How did he do ? I thought he really struggled in that Preston game.

0-5 suggests he did okay.

16. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

A very fluid front three today was the key to our excellent performance against the Saints, we really do have some serious options in attack, to his credit, Giroud has scored the goals and very important goals at that, but with him in the team we are not as nearly as good to watch or as effective as we were today. Sorry, but for me with the options we now have, Giroud has no place in the starting line up, but he is an amazing plan B to have on the bench.

afcftw likes this.
  17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Once again, great to see Welbeck and Waclott in the team and scoring today

afcftw likes this.
  18. BrunelGooner

He needs to bulk up, but he was very sound on the ball, positionally very good and made some key interceptions. His ball retention was better than I thought it would be given his slight frame. Kept play ticking well enough. He fared much better in midfield compared to the game against Preston and I'm not overly surprised because I've said before he's not a natural fullback. So I see his future in the middle of the park.

PINKIE, afcftw and winifred122 like this.
  19. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Nice to see Danny get a couple today, keep him fit and he will be a good alternative to Giroud for you.

PINKIE likes this.
  20. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Completely agree. We have some excellent options for the front three positions and Sanchez in particular earlier in the season worked well with Walcott changing positions and making runs for each other. I think a front three of welbeck, Sanchez, Walcott could be lethal as they all work hard, battle for the ball and have pace. Also think Perez is a great option for one of those spots as he moves well and links up the play really well. With Oxocube and Iwobi also trying to get into the team we have great players for a pacey forward line.

Giroud is a great player to have in the squad, for what he does he is the best in the league. Against teams sitting deep and to throw on when we are chasing a game he is fantastic. He holds up the ball well, is strong in the box, scores more headers than any player I've seen in a long time and seems willing to be a squad option and be used how Wenger sees fit. He has the right attitude. He is also a huge benefit when defending set pieces, h clears so many balls at the front post. But we aren't as fluid with our attacking play when he is on the pitch, he requires a number ten who is very offensive and runs beyond him.

He has scored some really important goals for us and his goals per game recently is really good but I do think he needs to be a bench option when we have so many forwards fit who allow us to play a more dynamic way.

I expect he will come off the bench regularly and have an important role to play for the rest of the season but I expect to see Sanchez back up top for most games. Luckily Giroud is the kind of player to accept this kind of role.

PINKIE likes this.