1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v Watford

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Aug 11, 2016.

1. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Sure, he just looked off it yesterday, and I thought Austin when he came on looked like trouble. He has a great record against us too - 5 in 5. I know you see him more than me, but as someone who doesn't see him every week, I don't reckon him too highly. Redmond might do it, he's got fight and certainly looked more dangerous yesterday.

2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

I think it was Derek Payne who made the comment on Player that it looked to him as though Long didn't fancy a one-on-one with Gomes and decided to go for a free kick instead. I can't really say one way or the other though, having not even watched it on MotD.

3. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Watched this morning and I stand by my original comment. Amrabat was miles away. I still think Long took the (not entirely unreasonable) decision to let gravity take its course but we've all seen players stay on their feet from more robust challenges than that (let alone go down for less). On balance I think the referee was right, I would have done the same for sure.

On a different not I rather suspect that a Lootown fan edits MotD having watched the highlights. Amrabat put in at least two if not three brilliant crosses that were well worthy of being shown. Didn't deserve to be last on at all.

andytoprankin likes this.
  4. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

Was the BBC right in stating that we had only one shot on target ?

5. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

No. I was watching NBC and I seem to remember it said 2 at half-time. I agree about the Lootown editing. And I firmly believe Lineker has been (how well those three words go together) anti-Watford since Sir Graham correctly substituted the jug-eared ****er. His (Lineker's) influence at work there too. Forever a situation where little Watford don't deserve to be in the top flight.

6. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Flashscores website stats say that we had 5 goal attempts, 1 on target & 4 off. Saints had 24, 6 on target 10 off target and 8 blocked.

7. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Amrabat was superb with at least two crosses in the second half that left us SCREAMING for somebody to dive in and take a punt on getting to the ball - classic Steve Coppell - hard and low between the keeper and defenders across the six yard box. Capoue was MotM but Amrabat was not far behind: combative and creative. showed more in one game than the entirety of his time here last season. Holebas had a similar opportunity but put it high to the far post which, to be fair, annoyed him as much as anyone else.

There was one spell in the first half that made Southampton look less than ordinary - a bit like that spell we had against Chelsea last season.

I am encouraged by what I saw although it must be tempered with the realisation that a more clinical side than they would have gone on to win comfortably.

andytoprankin and Markthehorn like this.