1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v Watford

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Aug 11, 2016.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Venue : Saint Mary's Stadium
    Date: 13th August 2016
    Kick Off : 15.00 BST

Claude Puel showed that he has a good command of English as he told today's press conference that he is looking to play a possession game that will rely on a good link between the midfield and attack to turn defensive situations into attacking ones.

Walter Mazzarri says he is able to communicate with his squad without any problems on the training field, even though he has sometimes had to rely on his interpreter, and he expects to improve his English in the coming weeks. He said: "On the pitch language is no problem. After only one month I'm able to communicate so it's no problem and I also have an interpreter.

:emoticon-0138-think:emoticon-0138-think:emoticon-0138-think:emoticon-0138-think

It is the start of new managerial eras at both Southampton and Watford as two sides growing increasingly used to the unceasing churn of the Premier League.

Both of the new managers will be enjoying their first taste of life in the English game but arrived at their new clubs armed with prodigious CVs. Walter Mazzarri, who has replaced Quique Sanchez Flores at Watford, brought success to Reggina and Napoli with his then-innovative 3-5-2 but fell somewhat out of favour in his homeland after failing at Inter.

New Southampton boss Claude Puel struggled to take Lyon to domestic glory but did take them to the Champions League semi-finals in 2010. At Nice he forged a top four side around Hatem Ben Arfa despite having lost several key players in the summer. That, at least, means he will be prepared for life at St Mary’s.

Form guide:

Watford endured a mixed run of fixtures in pre-season, reaching a nadir with a particularly poor 2-0 loss away to Championship side QPR where the result flattered their top flight opponents. The only victories from six games were against Stevenage and Union Berlin, with Mazzarri’s side drawing to Woking, Anzhi Makachkala and Lorient.

The pre-season preparations were notably smoother for the Saints, who won all bar one of the six pre-season fixtures they played in. Charlie Austin and summer signings Nathan Redmond and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg all impressed as Puel examined his charges in pre-season.

Team News:

Not available yet:
    :emoticon-0100-smile:emoticon-0148-yes:Wherever you are in the world- Enjoy the game:emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0100-smile

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  2. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

2-0 defeat sadly.

3. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thanks M Frenchie :) Great start! If we are to get any points in the next few weeks they have to come from this game to begin with because after this it's going to be tricky! With 2 new managers it's going to be difficult to predict but obviously we will win lol. Tbh, nervous this season, unlike last when i had no fear, but 2nd season syndrome has kicked in before we've kicked a ball. Hopefully by the time i leave St Mary's i'll be feeling a whole heap more positive. After a few articles i've seen this week about Walter Mazzarri, i'm feeling much more hopeful than i was a couple of weeks ago though i'm still concerned about our lack of attack in midfield. Still, hopefully someone will turn up before the end of the transfer window and in the meantime, if 352 doesn't work, i would hope WM will see that early enough in the game to change things and make a difference. Not wanting to sound negative, i'm going for a 1-3 win ;)

andytoprankin likes this.
  4. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Watford will be without summer signing Brice Dja Djédjé and Isaac Success is also set to miss Saturday's Premier League opener at Southampton.

Wing-back Djédjé already had a foot injury when he joined the club last month and is expected to be on the sidelines for a number of weeks.

Striker Success, who also joined the club this summer, is suffering from a leg muscle injury which is likely to prevent him from making his competitive debut for the Hornets this weekend.

Valon Behrami and Adlene Guedioura are still recovering their fitness after recent injuries which leaves them as doubts for the opener.

5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Southampton boss Claude Puel will be without Ryan Bertrand for his first Premier League game as his side face Watford at St Mary's.

The 27-year-old left-back picked up a knee injury in training following his return from Euro 2016 with England.

Jose Fonte and Cedric Soares are doubts despite rejoining training but Virgil van Dijk has recovered from a knock.

6. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

Shame Success is unavailable but at least we have cover now.

Not sure how this one will turn out, I don't rate Puel at all as a manager, so hopefully an easy win for us to start the season nicely.

0-2

7. Golden Gordon

Golden Gordon Well-Known Member

Here we go again- strap yourself in- no idea what to expect... COYH!

8. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

News has been hard to come by, but I have found out that Behrami and Guedioura along with Vydra and Deeney are on the coach.

Like you GG I have no idea what to expect. Just like the Championship in some ways. Hope that you are feeling good in yourself at the moment. <ok>

9. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

If the PL fantasy football is anything to go by, Cathcart is a slight doubt but that is put into perspective when they have someone who is out for 5 months a 25% chance of playing this weekend.

10. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Very good luck tomorrow lads and lasses!

11. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

Cathcart has a bad back and has been nursing it but is expected to play.

Vydra, like last year, has 3 games max to get on the pitch and prove himself. I hope he does.

Suarez is due to play but news is in that he could transfer out over next few days.

12. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

And then came Kenedy!

13. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

eh?

Well, I have just read some comments on the WO site, jesus christ, some very negative people there, it´s like we are already down FFS.

I hope we do well this season, we have meade some additions and should be OK (That for me means staying up again!)

Going to watch the game from the comfort of home, I just hope we put in a decent performance! COYHHHHHHHH

14. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

i have a good feeling about Vydra this tomorrow! I think he's up for the challenge :)

15. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Good posts,all. :)
    I'm an Eeyore, I'm afraid. I fear So'tin have the tools to tear holes in our unsteady formation.
    Vydra has a small window to show the world (because others will be watching him closely I believe) that he has Premiership qualities.
    Good to hear from you, GG, and I agree this could go any way. I share Hornette's thoughts entirely, but I don't think he'll change things for months if it's not working. Managers often seem to be so entrenched in their ideas that they find it difficult to break out of any rut. It's always the fault of other variables, not their idea that's the problem.

16. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

17. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Just passed through Winchester on my way to the game. Although I think we'll do well to get anything from today I am optimistic for the season overall. Pity we haven't managed to secure some of our first choice targets over the summer but we can expect more before the window shuts. 2-0 today but onwards and upwards thereafter. COYH!!!

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Two new managers - unlikely that either side will really know quite what formation, tactics etc they will adopt going forward. On that basis I could see this being a draw.

19. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

I'd bite your hand off for that. Though what my cannibalism has to do with your prediction, I don't know.

20. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

In the local Yates to the strains of Gold followed by Rocket Man<laugh>