1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Southampton V PNE (Carling Cup)

Discussion in 'Preston' started by theflyingplumber, Sep 19, 2011.

1. theflyingplumber

Northend are having to clock up the miles of late and will have to do so again on Wednesday, when the Lilywhites travel down to Southampton to take on the Saints at St Mary's in the Carling Cup.

The Saints as Southampton are nicknamed moved to their new home St Mary's in 2001,
    leaving their famous old ground The Dell which had been their home since 1898.
    When the Saint's moved to St Mary's they were retracing their roots as the club was founded in 1885 by members of St Mary's Church Young Men's Association, and the club was originally called Southampton St Mary's.

Southampton's dream of playing in the first Division was only realised in 1966 although they had narrowly missed out previously in 1949 and 1950 when they lost out on goal average. They had however played in two FA Cup Finals back in 1890 and 1892 losing both of them.

Southampton have won the FA Cup on the one occasion (four finals) and their highest league position was in the top flight in 1984-1985 when they were runners up.

For anyone interested in finding out more about the history of Southampton FC see the link at the end of this article.

For the older Northenders they may recall that PNE signed a centre forward from the Saints named "Charlie Wayman" who scored 81 goals in 107 appearences for them before being transferred to PNE in 1950. Wayman was a top class natural born striker who could be guaranteed to score goals throughout his career which like many players was badly interupted by the war years. Although not tall in stature he was strong and courageous and had great technical ability which he used to great effect. Wayman of course played for PNE during their golden era scoring 116 goals in 171 appearences and was the clubs top scorer three seasons on the trot, INMO the best post war 2 striker that PNE have had.

Wednesday's game:

Southampton currently sit top of the Championship and are going great guns, they have won 13 home matches in a row now, but only 2 league matches (3 in all comps) since losing away to Leicester at the end of August. they are also unbeaten at home in the league since losing to Brentford in December 2010.
    The clubs Longest winning run record is but a short time ago (see below) and obviously the Saint's have continued that oustanding form above.
    10 matches, 16 April 2011 – 20 August 2011 (League)
    11 matches, 16 April 2011 – 20 August 2011 (All Comps)

That is the measure of the difficult task that PNE have to face at St Mary's, the Saint's beat Birmingham 4-1 at the weekend and will be looking to ensure that their winning sequence is not marred when they play Northend. Ex PNE man Chaplow came off the bench to score in the above game and I would be very surprised if he wasn't down to play in this Carling Cup game.

PNE are also looking to extend their good form to 7 consecutive wins in this game but in all truth it is a mountain to climb, but football is a funny old game and especially in cup games. I expect the PNE team to closely resemble the team that Phil Brown chose to face Charlton in the last round which did so well, but may opt to play another senior player or two with the opposition being so strong. As you will remember the team that faced Charlton comprised mainly of fringe players with the emphasis on youth, personaly I hope he sticks with that team whatever the outcome might be.

So what do you think about this game and tough opposition PNE have to face, can PNE cause a major surprise and a cup upset, or will the Saints extend their record sequence of winning games.?????

Your thoughts and comments are welcome on this thread (both sets of fans).

The link for the Saints history is :

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/History/0,,10280,00.html

2. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

"Up the middle for Charlie"

3. timatoketchup

timatoketchup Well-Known Member

I think this will be a very tricky game for PNE but a very well written thread. The magic of the cup is always there but I will predict a convincing Saints win, 3-1.

4. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Certainly waaaaaayyyyy before my time, but I've read quite a bit about him. The article above mentions Saints missed out on promotion to the top tier during 1949 and 1950. In '49 Charlie was injured, with 7 games to go to the end of the season, and Saints were something like 8 points out in front [remember, 2 points for a win]. Saints beat Spurs at WHL 1-0, with Charlie getting injured while scoring. He was carried off, on a stretcher. He didn't play again that season and Saints were caught, missing out on promotion by ending up in 3rd spot.

It had been said, mostly by fans, that Saints should have had a quality striker to replace Charlie. But how would you keep a striker of similar capabilities to Charlie Wayman happy in the reserves. Make no bones about it, Wayman was an exceptional striker.

The next year it was even closer as Saints missed out by 0.065 of goal. Remember, this was the days of goal average, not difference.

5. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

Good knowledge. He certainly made a big impression for a player who was only at the club for a couple of years.

These days "up the middle for Charlie" would simply be the instruction during a premier league footballers night out.

6. JDub

JDub Well-Known Member

Anyone know prices? I'm gonna be buying 3 tickets so hopefully they aren't too expensive :)

7. Libby

Libby 9-0

8. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

£14 adults. Concessions £10. Under 17's £5.

9. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

I think Adkins will do as per previous rounds and the line-up could be something like this...

Bart,
    Butterfield, Martin, Hooiveld (or Jaidi if he's fit again), Dickson (Harding)
    De Ridder, Schnederlin, Chaplow, Holmes
    Guly, Lambert.

May even throw in Ward-Prowse or Jake Sinclair from the Youth team.

I wonder if Lee Barnard is still "a couple of weeks away?".

10. jenthesaint1990

jenthesaint1990 Well-Known Member

when is this? wednesday?

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

I wanna see Barnard back! One thing at the moment which is annoying is the clubs secrecy when it comes to injuries.

12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

The OP is slightly wrong about our winning run. We've won 13 home matches in a row now, but only 2 league matches (3 in all comps) since losing to Leicester at the end of August. We're also unbeaten at home in the league since losing to Brentford in December 2010.

I think our home record will be continued. 3-1 Saints

13. reubenagbola

reubenagbola Member

Yep Wednesday. Going to footy on my own. Love going on my own every now and then and get totally submerged in the game.

14. jenthesaint1990

i'll be on my own too...again.

15. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Awww..! I could feel the loneliness in that again, you wrote. Sadly, I'm on sodding call again this Wednesday [I've completely turned off my Saints attending matches antennae], or I'd happily keep you company.

Just comfort yourself that you are at the match, and some poor bleeders can't be. ;)

16. frenchvic

frenchvic Member

I'm one of those poor bleeders.

17. The Dandy Highwayman

Tough game, but our home form is fantastic.

Can only see a Saints win.

18. jenthesaint1990

my brother has abandoned me. now theres just an empty seat next to me every match <cry>

19. theflyingplumber

Thanks for pointing the error out ChiloSaint...<ok>..not sure how I got that wrong but I have and will edit the article.
    I was meaning to put :

Longest winning run
    10 matches, 16 April 2011 &#8211; 20 August 2011 (League)
    11 matches, 16 April 2011 &#8211; 20 August 2011 (All Comps)

Thanks once again...:)

20. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Agree Plumber similar side to Charlton game again not too worried about the result, a win would be nice but................