1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v Middlesbrough, Sunday 11 December, KO 14:15

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints Fan4Life, Dec 9, 2016.

1. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Game just up on Sky Sports 1. Repeated at 00:30..

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  3. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

I wasn't thinking about it, but I noticed Boufal had gone central and then wondered why I was seeing more of JWP in the attacking half and now I think about it, by george! I think you've got it

Had just advanced the theory that our December wobbles were due to tactical inflexibility (Koeman and Puel) and other teams sussing our weaknesses and style of play. Promising sign for the future that we may change according to circumstances. I'm not against the diamond per se but it has been ending up with us being too defensive in midfield so we needed to do something. Boufal needs to be where he can hurt teams

4. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Putting to one side the relief of getting win and 3 points there was very little to get excited about in this display. Once again the midfield harried and ran around when looking to get posession and created bugger all when given the ball. I felt that Fonte and VVD were getting sick of receiving the ball when it should have been moving forward.

2nd half was much better and Claude's subs were the right ones but IMO the second half performance was what we should be calling 'a bit below average' not 'a big improvement'.

You could argue that we were unlucky not to win by more but in truth we won by a single goal created by one player. Realistically we were lucky to get that goal and a side with more about them would have beaten us. Our results flatter our performances. Turning that into a positive is the aim. We need to get confidence and start playing with some verve.

5. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Good 3 points today. Poor first half, better second half, and one match winning goal out of nothing. Some good performances today, I don't think anyone played badly. Redmond is a good impact type option, but I'm unconvinced that he should be a regular starter. I thought this when we bought him, having seen him play for Birmingham and Norwich. He was much better today as an impact sub.

One last thing which I'm surprised nobody had picked up on, as everyone who was sat around me commented on it at the time..and that's Jose Fontes reaction at the final whistle.
    He did the thing that players do when they know it's their last game for the club. He clapped (more than normal), waved and took his shirt off and gave it to the fans. Seemed like he was saying goodbye to me. Did anyone else think the same? Or am i reading too much into it, knowing that alls not rosey behind the scenes and the end is nigh.

Le Saint and Romsey_Saint like this.
  6. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

Did I say he was bad? I said he was slow. Are you saying he was fast?

7. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I have got little time for any clown that boos his or her own team. The players will already know they have played a crap half. Most of the time it is because they are following their managers orders. To hear your own fans boo, when as in a lot of cases the players have given there all, even if they got it wrong it is encouragement they need. In my eyes the boo boys are just glory hunters and not true footie fans and need their ass's kicked.

8. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

The Fonte thing *could* be a reaction to hearing his name sung lots as an appreciation for the support he receieved.
    Or it could be his goodbyes.....who knows! (We do still have a couple of home games before the window opens though!)

Also not seen mentioned - enjoyed the Saints version of My Way at kick off - not heard that before?

RSS likes this.
  9. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Well he certainly wasn't slow,or passed by your bleeding milk float! Think your tv needs adjustment.Maybe watching at normal speed rather than slow motion?

10. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're probably right. Makes no sense to say your goodbyes when there's still home games before the window opens. Just at the game, at the time, it felt like goodbye to me.

11. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

I promise you he is not fast. He won't be beating defences with his pace. Hopefully he will do a Kevin Davies and turn into a different beast.

Velcro Roy likes this.
  12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Jay had a good game. Should have scored, but he got through 90 minutes for the first time in 3 years, and did some good work. He is by no means a write-off. No, he isn't fast, but he still has the striker's positional awareness. If JWP hadn't got to that cross in front of him he would have nailed it.

13. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  14. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

15. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Direct quote from the BBC in the interview with CP: "On the future of club captain Jose Fonte: "Now is not the moment [to discuss that]. It is the time to stay concentrated until the end of the year. The importance is the collective of the squad." A January transfer maybe?

16. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

This sums up my opinion of the match. Would this performance have been accepted under Poch or Koeman? The first half was dreadful and the only goal likely to come from either side looked like coming from an error - especially something like the passes JWP let go astray. (I think there were three breaks by 'Boro as a consequence of his poor passing.) Jay-Rod looked ineffectual up-front but Classie, not someone who usually impresses, played really well throughout the game.

It was a win which, in the circumstances, was more important that how we played. You could argue that any of our previous managers would have struggled to produce an entertaining match against such dour opposition as Middlesborough. but I expect that 'Boro fans themselves can't have been impressed playing against a Saints team that gace away a lot of fouls and seemed more adept at passing the ball sideways. The statistics suggest these are the two most boring sides to watch in the Premiership - something most Saints fans would have struggled to contemplate ever being possible since the return to the top flight.

ImpSaint likes this.
  17. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

You appear to have erased from your mind several dour performances under Koeman, and the innumerable occasions on which our only attacking tactic was lumping the ball up to a static and isolated Pelle.

18. Le Saint

Le Saint Well-Known Member

Totally agree about Fonte. Although I'm miffed with his public outburst there was no doubt he put in an excellent shift and put his head in where it hurts. At least he is reserving the sulking to only off the pitch.

ImpSaint likes this.
  19. Le Saint

Le Saint Well-Known Member

Not sure what game you were watching! It was like playing with 10 men!

20. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

This. Also put Mane back in this team and suddenly we are a completely different outfit.