1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton v Liverpool SAT 19th Nov. 3:00 pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SaintinSerbia, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

Tricky one. I had him as centre forward a few weeks ago!

2. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

If Fraser gets injured next game we'll have to put him in goal and play Taylor up front!

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

4. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

5. fran-MLs little camera

It was certainly a headline to launch a thousand blogs on newsnow. <laugh>

6. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Interesting. I reckon the club complained. They don't tell you the Qs they ask and give the impression the interviewee is setting the agenda when they are setting it with loaded Qs. Pulls just saying what a great player VVD is

7. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

That's a great comparison between VVD and Toure. I don't think he'll ever 'move' to a CM though. Coaches will build the team around him as a CB.

8. fran-MLs little camera

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport...l-fc-must-get-used-to-teams-like-southampton/

Klopp saying that Liverpool have to get used to teams setting up to block them. Welcome to our world, Jurgen. Until this season, most teams apart from the top sides always set out to block us (admittedly we do that all by ourselves at the moment). You can't complain because no team has to play to suit you....if blocking works, you block.

However, I still think we didn't set out to do that. We sought to stifle their initial flurry and then step up ourselves, but it didn't work out like that. Usually we are the fit side that wear the opposition down...Jurgen has got Liverpool to the level where they can play the full 90+ minutes. Our lads must have really known they had played a game by the end...luckily we didn't concede at the end. I count this as one point we've got back from all those we have dropped.

fatletiss likes this.
  9. fran-MLs little camera

http://www.umaxit.com/index.php/col...ality-no-longer-a-taboo-subject-for-liverpool

Article discussing how ex-Saints have fitted in at Liverpool and how Lovren and Lallana have improved under Klopp. Makes the point that they no longer seemed embarrassed by their fascination with Southampton with Klopp openly praising our scouting department (bit of a mixed blessing thato_O). Naturally points out a few more targets in our team...the always mentioned Virgil, but also Boufal, Redmond and Pierre. Will it be worth learning how to spell Pierre's name...was a bit alarmed with his recent praise for Liverpool....let's hope he never hears You'll Never Walk Alone....could be Lovren all over again. :)

10. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Depressingly, just seeing where Liverpool are going may be enough. I confess to a real liking for Klopp, and thought Liverpool were excellent on Saturday. I was pleased Lallana didn't play and that someone (let's not name the poor lad) left his shooting boots on the 'plane back from Brazil because we could have been stuffed despite playing well. I keep telling scousers that Virgil's performance on Saturday was a one-off and that he's usually crap but they are beginning to suspect a porkie.

There is a feeling that a) they'll run out of steam and b) Chelsea are the ones who'll have the staying power. I'm not convinced. If Liverpool do win the league this year they'll be able to keep Couthino and tempt some big names to join them. They are starting to look worryingly good, and having our recruitment team to help them they seem to have it sorted.

House for Sale!

11. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I see your point but he's just too good at CB to move him from there. I honestly think he's the best defender in the PL and one of the best in the world.

12. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

can not disagree, but it feels like we are only seeing Virgil at 70%, imagine that extra 30% in his play. would take a manager with great vision or a very big pair to move him to CM though

13. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I would agree with your view on Austin and add his lack of pace also doesn't help to relieve pressure, as the long punts into space, against Liverpool, were easily hoovered up by defenders, under little threat of being closed down by Chaz. Players like Long buy the defence time to organise, by frequently forcing defenders to play square or backwards, rather than allowing them time to pick out a forward pass, which also slows the attacking momentum of the other team.

The system, where we break quickly, at pace and in numbers, only suits Austin if he stays in an advanced role, as he is not able to keep/catch up with the speedier players.
    In a game where we have most possession, with the slower build ups, Austin should be at his best/most comfortable, because it then comes down to his movement around the penalty area

14. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

We won't get that lucky again this season. We were very poor and looked like a Championship side going forward. Redmond & Boufel were bad. The latter at least has an excuse for getting used to playing at this level. Been really disappointed with Redmond recently.

15. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member