1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton FC v Hapoel Be'er Sheva, Europa League, Thursday 8th December, KO 8.05pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fatletiss, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

JWP has been poor.

2. steve79

steve79 Well-Known Member

Really ?

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  3. Libby

Libby 9-0

One of my big concerns at the moment is the lack of team spirit that we have currently. It's something I mentioned before as one of the down sides of high turnover of players and it's also a big part of our success of getting to where we are.

Seemed to be a lot of arguing going on last night on the pitch. Obviously Redmond being main culprit.

4. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

did you go.to either of the Milan matches where he was a standout player?

5. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

To be fair, JWP has been much better this season and was particularly good at home v. Inter

6. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

I don't have a problem with 'arguing' if it stays on the pitch. It represents a desire to be better. As long as players trust each other it is ok.
    VVD has been 'talking' to team mates since he settled in and him and Jose sometimes have 'words'. If you have to tread on eggshells with your team mates then you don't have real team spirit.

No criticism intended but you may see these incidents positively when we win and negatively when we lose
    Ideally they would happen when we were losing and as a result we would win :emoticon-0100-smile

(Obviously this is all based on it being constructive criticism, if they were telling Redmond he was a twat and was playing **** then that would just be abuse)

Libby likes this.
  7. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Every Centre Back that has played alongside Jose has looked better through his experience and influence on them, even VVD.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  8. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Agreed, several players are not overly polite to each other at times and that alone doesn't mean team spirit is poor. In all pressured competitive scenarios, you can be harshest to those you know and trust. I've known some great people who could accost friends like drill sergeants in games, whilst being absolute sweethearts afterwards and there were never grudges. Also known some twats who would be absolute pricks to people they barely knew and hold mistakes against them, but from our position we can't automatically assume any of our players fall into that second category from what we see.

The other thing I don't get about the questions of Redmond's attitude is that for every time he sharply suggests a teammate should have done something differently, he screams and shouts at himself when something goes wrong. He's not blindly shifting the blame to others, he's just massively over emotional and amidst a huge crisis of confidence and it only gets worse every time he gets hundreds of heckles (from people who ironically probably call Redmond petulant and say he can't keep his emotions in check!) when he does something wrong. I said last week that Austin needs a extended physical break and Redmond needs a mental one, and if that is now somewhat enforced by Thursday then I think it'll be good for the team and themselves, even if it hurts their pride.

shoot_spiderman and Qwerty like this.
  9. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

Beating Ron's Everton 1-0... priceless.

10. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Hapoel drew Besiktas, now what if they refused to go there, would we get lumbered?

11. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Gutted, genuinely. I would have quite fancied that trip. The likelihood of actually dying in a terrorist attack is about 10,000/1, and as for getting stabbed by Besiktas supporters, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a risk either, for anyone sensible enough to mind their Ps & Qs.

12. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We've dodged a bullet in a way. Not a good place to go at the best of times let alone now.

thereisonlyoneno7 and SAINTDON13 like this.