1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

So who's telling the truth?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by MidlandToon, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidlandToon

MidlandToon Member

Two contrasting sides of the story are out, one from the Newcastle board, and one from Carroll. Who to believe?

Carroll has said numerous times that he doesn't want to leave the club, and that was reiterated yesterday in a series of texts from him to Steve Wraith. He said he was backed into a corner, and left with no choice.

The club said that he demanded a new contract, which rightly so was rejected by the club as it may cause unrest amongst the dressing room (supposedly Barton has accepted lower wages, so why should that not apply to Carroll). They then went on to say he demanded a transfer, which they had to accept.

Who to trust, Carroll or Ashley?

I for one have a sneaky feeling that this is all a cover up by Ashley. Look at what motives each party would have to lie. If Carroll admits he actually wanted to leave, there’s no real harm done to him, and he goes on with his career. He may face a backlash from Newcastle fans, but I’m sure he would cope. But if Ashley comes out and says he forced Carroll out, then he faces a huge backlash which this time, I doubt he would be able to recover from.

For me, that is enough of a reason alone for Ashley to lie. I for one do not blame Carroll one bit in this. I think this is once again down to Mr. Ashley, who adds yet another shocking decision to the already huge list.

2. Tiggyrimana

Tiggyrimana Active Member

steve wraith is a bullshitter
    carroll didnt have the bollox to do a press conference
    im with ashley

3. originallad

originallad Member

But why did Carroll say yes? Why didn't he just not agree terms. He's under contract with Newcastle. Ashley couldn't of done anything. If Carroll really REALLY wanted to stay, he could have. If Ashley/Pardew really REALLY wanted to keep him, we could have. I think it's six of one and half a dozen of another.

4. Pipe4Life

Pipe4Life Active Member

personally i think carrolls greedy agent has sensed a pay day and has turned carrolls head by throwing numbers around. he' sthen let him talk himself into a corner he can't back out of until theres no going back and the damage is done.

I blame the agent entirely. they're ruining football. I have no doubt that carroll actually did want to stay and ashley would have liked the money but i think the agent has stirred this all up and turned a young lads head for a better contract and its backfired on carroll. his bluff was called. the club get the cash they would have been itching to take and carroll get his improved contract all be it at another club.

and the agent is laughing all the way to the bank. he was in a win win situation and he got the better of the two deals on offer.

5. Tiggyrimana

Tiggyrimana Active Member

at the end of the day even if ashley wanted him out
    he could of stayed knowing that the duration of his contract could well be overlooking ashley selling the club
    therefore he would then have a new contract with a new owner at the club he "loves"
    but he didnt want to go

6. Leon Bessi

Leon Bessi Active Member

Why did Carroll sign a 5 year deal and take the no.9 shirt?.

7. simonbh7

simonbh7 Active Member

Having been lied to before by the Newcastle board, I don't believe a word of what they say.

Andy Carroll is not too bright, so if he was told by the club that he had to go, who knows. I bet his agent didn't advise him to dig his heels in and stay at Newcastle!!

8. MidlandToon

MidlandToon Member

Would you want to put your career ar risk? The power's that be at Newcaslte made it obvious that they did not want him. What if he goes against them, and refuses to sign? Ashley is a powerful man, and already has his puppet in the form of Pardew running first team affairs. Ashley is in control here, and if he wanted to ruin someone's career, then he could with ease. Carroll knows this, so why risk it?

9. Hung Drawn and Quartered

Hung Drawn and Quartered Well-Known Member

Ashley = Proven Liar

10. MidlandToon

MidlandToon Member

Exactly.

11. Pipe4Life

Pipe4Life Active Member

why isn't there uproar at carrolls agent who for my money has orchastrated the whole thing then sat back picked up a ridiculous fee and let the other two parties argue over the backlash?

its obviously the agent thats told carroll that its the ideal time to be trying to procure a similar wage to what liverpool are offering. we can't give him it when arguably our best player barton is taking a pay cut to extend his deal. the bluff was called and the deal is done.

12. originallad

originallad Member

The truth is, nobody is ever going to really know what actually happened.

Why didn't Carroll say no? Was he brainwashed by his sweet talking his agent?

Why didn't Ashley and Co turn down the last offer and why couldn't Pardew have a proper discussion with Andy? Did they secretly want the money?

Did Andy go in a huff and recklessly tell them to stuff and go to Liverpool?

Who knows?! Maybe if Ashley was more of a fan then business man and Carroll had bit more brain matter we wouldn't be all having this debate...who knows...in 5 years time he might be back...

13. Stuart Blanc

Stuart Blanc Member

At the end of the day, we support the team not carroll or fat mike. Are we better off with out him who knows are we going to see the 35 mill put into the team who knows but I know I will be there agaisnst Arsenal. We are not a 1 man team we will be fine lets just draw a line under it and move on!

14. Willow_NUFC

Willow_NUFC Member

I wouldnt know who to trust, the board wouldnt be trusted full stop for the behaviour in the past and their record with us as fans, carroll, well thats a hard one, as NUFC.com said, what would have happened if he said no to liverpool?, cant trust the kids agent to be fair anyway, cant trust any agent for that matter, for me though i think that the board deffo have had a hand in this somewhere down the line, although how far along i dont know

15. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

"First and foremost let me say that I wish Andy Carroll all the best at his new club," said Pardew.
    "He is somebody we are going to miss in the dressing room, not just as a player but as a character also.
    "However, the extraordinary figure that we've got - a record for a British player, a 22-year-old who has done six months in the Premier League - it's a hell of a figure.
    "And the fact it is so huge is because of the timing of it.
    "We didn't want to lose Andy yesterday, and if Andy really wanted to stay then he could have stayed. But he's not here."

I'm with the board on this one, they have lied before but that proves nothing here. If Carroll really doesnt want to go theres not a damn thing the club can do about it. I blame his agent, Andy isnt the brightest lad and I think he's been done for the cash here.

16. gotcoffee

gotcoffee Member

This is the problem .. Ashley has done so much wrong that it is very difficult to even consider him being in the right .. but I'd say - in my humblest of opinions - that when Liverpoo threw in a reported £30 Million bid for him Ashley would have ripped their arm off at the same time if he was the one who wanted rid of Carroll .. it just seems to play out that offer after offer was rejected until the transfer request went in ..

I'm with Pipe4Life .. this has the stench of greedy agent about it and the lure of massive weekly wads for Carroll .. for once I feel myself siding with the management here .. hope I don't get that thrown back in my face again ..

17. Hung Drawn and Quartered

Hung Drawn and Quartered Well-Known Member

as soon as it was mentioned in the paper that Liverpool were going to make a bid Ashley flew up hear in his Helicopter

18. Blacker-than-Knight

I think that too much of the reaction is coloured by peoples opinion of Ashley, Carroll says he was pushed away, Pardew says that he asked for an improved contract or to be allowed to talk to Liverpool if that was not going to happen. Pardew says the response was no new contract and as we have rejected offers if you want to talk to Liverpool then you have to request a transfer, Carroll sat down with his agent and drafted a transfer request. To me Carroll seems to be skirting around the truth as he is trying to justify his leaving as the clubs fault rather than the mercenary fact of shedloads of money in his pocket now, lets be honest he has hardly come out and said Pardew is telling lies.

19. bald-in-guelph

It seems to me that there's credibility in both sides of the story, but both NUFC and Carroll want to come out of this smelling of roses. There's probably some massaging of the truth on both sides. NUFC didn't want to sell Carroll unless the fee was so ridiculous that they couldn't refuse. It was and they did! Carroll maybe didn't want to go, unless they paid him a ridiculous pay rise. They did and off he went.

The knee jerk reaction from your fans (understandably given the history) is that it's all Ashley's fault. I'm not sure that there's anyone to blame as such with this. It's all about the money talking at the end of the day. Carroll is trying to make out that the club didn't want him as they were negotiating for a better deal. Maybe they realised that he was going to go anyway, or alternatively they named a price that they assumed wouldn't be met. Did anyone think that Carroll would go for 35M+? Of course not! If he didn't want to leave then he shouldn't have asked for a transfer. It's bullshit. You can't ask to leave and then tell everyone you are gutted at leaving. He's worried about the backlash and his mother's windows getting put out. He doesn't want to look like the villain of the peace and a traitor. He needs to realise that he can't have it both ways.

20. overseasTOON

overseasTOON Active Member

Give it a couple of days and wait for the story to simmer down a fraction then the 'updates' will expose the lying party.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.