1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours So who do you want?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brian Storm, May 22, 2017.

?

Who?

1. Giggs

4.3%
  2. Pearson

35.7%
  3. Wagner

5.7%
  4. Monk

17.1%
  5. Rosler

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Karanka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Lambert

1.4%
  8. Grayson

2.9%
  9. Jokanovic

5.7%
  10. Other (Please state)

27.1%
  1. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Lets see who we all fancy then.

Here's the odds dug out by Tees, cheers fella. Left Pardew out obviously(There would be murders:emoticon-0102-bigsm).

please log in to view this image

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

As said on the other thread Pearson for me. My case meaning we need unity and positive thinking installing throughout the club. I want a Pearson, Phillips, Way team. Sorry if seb, can't remember which forum I posted it on but this is what swayed me a few month back.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...champions-leicester-lost-way-sense-direction/

Exclusive interview: How Premier League champions Leicester lost Way and then a sense of direction
    please log in to view this image

Leicester’s former sports psychologist Ken Way (left) was let go by Claudio Ranieri
    26 FEBRUARY 2017 • 6:15PM
    Ken Way has watched the increasingly bitter fallout at Leicester City since Claudio Ranieri was sacked last Thursday with growing sadness.

He has watched as Leicester’s players have been labelled “ungrateful”, “spoiled” and “treacherous”; accused of carrying out a coup against their own manager. He has seen the club’s Thai owners charged with killing romance stone dead. Listened as the sporting world has debated the tragic ending to one of the greatest fairytales the game has known. He cannot help but be full of regret.

Way was, until the start of this season, the sports psychologist at Leicester City. Originally part of Nigel Pearson’s backroom staff, along with Craig Shakespeare and Steve Walsh, Way was kept on when Ranieri arrived in 2015. But after the miracle of 2015-16, the relationship came to an abrupt and troubling end.

Way realised he was being let go only when he asked the club’s kit men for his kit allocation ahead of the season opener, and they mumbled something about his not yet being ready. “They sort of fobbed me off,” he recalls, sadly. “Told me to come back later. At the time I didn’t think much of it but I realise now that they knew I wasn’t being kept on…”

Sure enough, a few days after Leicester’s 2-1 defeat at Hull City, Way got a letter from the club thanking him for his services but telling him he would no longer be needed.

He admits the manner of his departure left him feeling “bruised” – mostly because Ranieri did not ring him to explain his decision. But he is adamant he is not speaking out of bitterness when he explains where he feels Leicester’s season went astray. “On the contrary,” he says, “I feel really sorry for Claudio. I just sent him a text message actually because first and foremost he is a gentleman. A really lovely man.

“But if I’m honest I do feel he was a bit more distanced from the players and staff than Nigel was. Without wishing to be unkind, I think Claudio rode a bit on the coat-tails of Nigel, who had really built a special bond with the players and staff. He profited from the platform they created.”

To Ranieri's credit, Way says, the Italian changed little when he arrived. He recognised that the atmosphere was good and was happy to tinker with tactics and the systems on the pitch and generally to leave things alone off it. That all changed this year, however. Not only with the high-profile departures of key players such as N’Golo Kanté, but with backroom staff as well.

Ranieri poses for photo with young fans just hours after being sacked

00:49

“I was very sad when Steve [Walsh] left for Everton – although it was absolutely fair enough from his point of view – but that was another link to that atmosphere from the past,” he notes. “Shakey [Shakespeare] is fantastic at lightening the mood but he’s the only one [of the current coaching staff] who really injects genuine vitality into the group. He also has a lot on his plate. In my opinion you need someone who is looking out for that team spirit at all times…”

Someone like him, for instance? Way is diplomatic. “Well, It’s the role of all support staff to help create and maintain the right team spirit but I like to think I played my part in this by looking a bit further down the road, watching for warning signs of any ‘terrorist’ activity.”

Way is not referring here to some sort of sleeper cell in Leicester.

“Terrorists,” he explains, “are what I call people who, without thinking, suck the lifeblood out of a squad. If I came close to spotting any terrorist activity, I would always react right away to shut down that threat.”

If this all sounds to you like psycho-babble, then you would probably be of a mind with Ranieri. The Italian’s scepticism towards sports psychology was well known. He famously had a run-in with one psychologist at Monaco over a metaphorical “elephant” in the dressing room and was generally of the opinion that tactics were all-important and players should be big and ugly enough to take care of themselves.

“When you are young, maybe you need somebody who can help you, but now you are a man,” Ranieri said in August when asked how he intended to prepare his players for Leicester’s title defence. “In life, you need to be strong. Psychologists? No.”

Again, Way is tactful when asked about this. He is, and has been in the past, dismissive of his role in Leicester’s title success, anxious not to overstate his role, arguing he was actually busier the previous season. Nor will he identify which players he felt were the biggest “terrorists” at the King Power Stadium, or those he felt had the potential to go rogue.

Jason Burt on Ranieri's sacking: a brutal but necessary change

02:04

It is obvious, though, that he is sad at the way it ended. That the work he did at Leicester – much of it away from the training ground and the stadium, in the homes of players and staff, and for a fraction of the money per year that the top players received per week – was under-appreciated.

When Way watches his former colleagues take on Liverpool tonight, assailed on all sides by allegations of treachery and deceit, he will bemoan that there was no one there to defuse the tension; to make them remember what got them there in the first place.

“It seems to me that what they really lost was the fun they had last year; when Christian Fuchs was posting silly YouTube videos,” he concludes. “There hasn’t been any of that this season. Unfortunately terrorists are good at recruiting other terrorists – simply by asking obvious questions: Why are we playing these tactics? Why do we keep losing? The questioning causes you to lose focus on the very essence of what got you there in the first place.

“That is when I would argue – selfishly perhaps – for the presence of a sports psychologist who can intervene early, before things go wrong.”

Nordic and grandpops like this.
  3. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Marco Silva.

Would be against Wagner or Carvahal who have done very well at Championship clubs.

4. BIG BAZ

BIG BAZ Well-Known Member

I'll have Pearson with Phillips and co <ok>

5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

One thing's for sure is we've got a squad full of terrorists, which isn't something I expected to say.

Pearson for me, he ticks every box for what we need.

Billy Death likes this.
  6. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

We should bust a gut and get Big Sam back.

Bart

7. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Would be more than happy with Pearson. Would love Wagner but I can't see him coming here if the playoff final goes his way. Would also consider Jokanovic to be a good appointment. I'd be ok with Rosler too. Wouldn't want Monk, Lambert, Grayson, or di Matteo at all.

Would quite like to see a gem that's so far gone under the radar, a lá Wagner or Silva, brought in from Europe though.

8. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Phillips now 7/2 fav

Mackem-Tiz likes this.
  9. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

The manager from Watford (now jobless), or Soton (rumoured to be gone). Both went through sticky patches but sorted it out. Unknowns before they came here but both did worthy jobs with average players.

10. Nostalgic

Too inexperienced yet for me.

11. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

I'm warming to the idea of Pearson.

We need someone to build something, whether that takes a few years in the Championship then so be it.

We'll be in a much better position to then go back up.

Pearson, Super Kev as assistant and some others.

gardencitymack likes this.
  12. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Mazzarri was Napoli manager during their recent resurgence under Aurelio di Laurentiis' ownership and, I think managed them in the Champions League. Puel won the league with Monaco and then went to Lille consistently getting them into Europe. They've got big reputations and though I'd be quite happy with them, they'll easily get jobs with top flight clubs in Europe. No way either would come here unfortunately.

13. Big Bad Wesley Brown

Big Bad Wesley Brown Well-Known Member

Agree with the calls for Pearson, with Super Kev as a coach. They'd bring a bit of passion back to the team and fans after such a dour, dire year.

14. Nostalgic

Obviously they are good at management regardless, as shown in the season they had. Either one would do me.

15. Charley Farley

Charley Farley Well-Known Member

Not Karanka, I can't understand him on the telly when he's being interviewed.

16. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Of all the foreign managers
    He is the only one I can't understand
    Aswell

Charley Farley likes this.
  17. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Pearson-Philips-Way sounds good to me.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  18. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Very unlikely but I would go for Hughton. Done some very good work at Brighton although they bottled it at the end. I am warming to Pearson now also.

19. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

F*ck Pearson the bell end. Remember when Keane was in charge and we beat them down there. The tw*t slated us saying his team were better than us and would go up instead of us. Well he was wrong. F*ck him.

Yes I bear a grudge.

20. Bizarreknives

Bizarreknives Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Anybody but Pearson, I don't see the attraction. Marco Silva is a good shout.

Gil T Azell likes this.