1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

So... Who Do We Replace LJ With?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by BCFCRob, Jan 14, 2017.

1. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

This is the biggest thing holding me back from being anti-LJ now. There's no one out there who looks viable as a) a decent manager and b) realistic to get.

I know people like RR bang on about experience but we've all seen that guarantees nothing, and comes at a cost most of the time. Having said that, the only bright, young and available manager I know is Gary Rowett, and once again that would seem an unappealing move personally.

Realistically, who do we get? And no, not Pardew.

2. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I'd give Pemberton the job for now.

banksyisourhero likes this.
  3. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

Advertise and pick the best candidate. Don't let SL anywhere near the process, as he is part of the problem.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  4. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Time to go and now,no experience no clue.

Lost it with him go now.

SL has to take the right decision as this club is not going forward,it is going back to league one.

Cardiff are very poor,us even worse.

SL has to grab it by the balls now, and get the right experienced man in for the job.

Not a yes man a proven manager

Alan Pardew or Nigel Pearson or yes Neil Warnock.
    Proper managers that now what they are doing.

His set up,his subs,complete and utter joke bye bye LJ.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  5. BCFCRob

Complete nonsense this mate

And RR you live in cuckoo land

6. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I listened in on CC Player and agree we sounded a poor outfit - but an outfit with a plan.

A game between two poor sides that was eventually won by someone not even on the pitch - an experienced manager.

I don't want to diss Johnson through lack of real knowledge because I don't follow you that closely, but the guy looks all over the place at the moment.

It's not a question of whether you can afford a decent experienced manager, it's more a question of whether you can afford not appoint one. Your slide under Johnson shows little sign of abating. Another half dozen games like that and you'll be bottom 3 not just below us in the table.

7. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Hopefully he will do the decent thing and resign.
    He won't want to be remembered as the manager presiding over a record 8 league defeats.
    I'm going to Forest and I certainly don't want him to be there.
    I've been tolerant with all our managers but today was the deadline for me.

8. Red Robin

If Blackburn win today we will be joint third bottom.
    Go go go LJ completely out of your depth.

9. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

I would also back Pemberton as he did not do anything wrong the last time he stood in.
    We were told the quality of candidate was very high last time and then LJ gets the job. If the quality of candidate was that high why did LJ get the job? Answer because of SL's friendship with the Johnsons and he picks the managers, not the board or Ashton.

Red Robin likes this.
  10. Red Robin

Famous saying never work with friends,it always end in tears.

Red Hub likes this.

11. BCFCRob

You said that SL is part of the problem in the recruitment process.... well here are the managers since GJ:

Gary Johnson
    Steve Coppell
    Keith Millen
    Derek McInnes
    Sean O'Driscoll
    Steve Cotterill

Now, every single one of those managers either turned out to be successful, or looked like a very good prospect (with fans in agreement) *at the time*. With the exception of Keith Millen who I think was just employed to keep some stability after the Coppell fiasco.

Prior to LJ, I think every single appointment has been a good one at the time, so I don't think there's any lack of logic in our recruitment process from that perspective.

12. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

My point is, the appointments have never reflected the quality of candidate we have been told have applied.
    Quality managers come with a big list of requirements. Have our appointments been done on the cheap?

13. Red Robin

100% cheap cheap cheap and a yes man.

Coppell and sod were not yes men,this I think is SLs biggest downfall I believe.

Until that mindset changes we are a yo yo club league one next year looks very very likely.

14. Red Robin

Proper manager to run a proper football club. With massive potential.

BrightredRickster likes this.
  15. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

O'Driscol was successful ?
    Did I blink and miss something ?

Yes SL is part of the problem because he wants a rigid structure in place where the manager is far down the food chain rather than making the important decisions concerning the development of team and squads.
    Management generally, and in football particularly is about larger than life characters (as opposed to clowns) who generate energy and inspiration around themselves and fuel the rise of those fighting it out on the pitch.

I hate to say RP was right, but LJ was never a streetwise player, and not that kind of manager either.
    What he is is…well, nice. But nice will not take SL where he wants to go. The man that could (whoever he might be) is probably not someone who SL would want to sit in the same room with, but that is the personality you need to get the job done.

As I have said before, does SL have control issues ?
    He needs to find us a Warnock, then step back and let him manage, or Lansdown will spend a major fortune on players and we will remain caught forever in this vicious spiral between League 1 and the Championship

Red Robin likes this.
  16. BCFCRob

**** sake this is laughable. Like who?! No one ever comes with any answers. And no, Alan Pardew will not come to us.

And no, we don't go for the cheap option. Steve Coppell wasn't cheap. Sean O'Driscoll probably wasn't cheap, and Steve Cotterill will not have been on less than SoD I'm sure.

I know we're in panic and free fall but people need to talk with facts rather than spouting **** that makes zero sense.

17. BCFCRob

Read my post, I didn't say SoD was successful. I said all of those managers were either successful, or a logical appointment at the time they signed.

18. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

We're in a sad, sad state now. I really wanted LJ to succeed as he clearly has an affinity with the club and that is hard to find these days. But this is a results based business and the spectacular downturn is hard to ignore, irrespective of whether he's a family friend or a man who clearly does love the club.

As many have stated, we're on the express elevator to League One and that would be a complete disaster.

Time is up I'm afraid. LJ, if he truly loves the club, should take the advice of the great Sting......"if you love somebody, set them free". There is no dishonor in doing the right thing and stepping aside.

The club is and always should be bigger than one man.

gdknac, bcfcredandwhite and Red Robin like this.
  19. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Yeah. Calm down mate.
    I'm not your problem

20. Red Robin

Spot on rickster