1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

So IF Torres goes.....

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by BCR, Jan 29, 2011.

1. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

What Striker do we look for that fits NESV's bill? Falcao or Hulk from Porto? Rossi or Nilmar from Villareal? Look at who is available in Brazil? LLorente or Negredo? Kiessling or Gomez? Lavezzi or the giant Lacina?

Assuming that the Suarez deal is done and did not tie in with Torres, who would be good foil for a 4-3-3 or a more fluid 4-4-2?

I really like the look of Falcao, Llorente, to lead the line, Hulk might be too much.

Also, I would not mind Adam but if we could get ever banega, I think that would be a better coup. I know we would still need a hardman but if we could wait and see if the price drops then that would be better business.

I hope he comes out tomorrow or by the weekend and clears the air, maybe a ploy to ensure the club is buying players and moving in the right direction, but if not, these are players I would like to see. I know there are tons more and the list is a lot longer.

What a day...

2. suarezlfc

suarezlfc Active Member

I'd like to think the only way they'd let him go is if they've got somebody lined up to replace him. If they haven't, then they won't let him go. But who knows what's going on in the boardroom.

3. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I think that is what is perplexing us all.... 3 days left in the window and now he wants to leave with no viable replacement or not one they have looked, assuming they spent a majority of time on the Suarez deal. I think the summer is when he goes but if he goes in Jan it would really be quite cruel as far as leaving us hanging.

4. suarezlfc

suarezlfc Active Member

At least in summer there'd be more clubs looking at him, so if he is to go, then is the best time. Maybe city will suddenly fancy half a dozen new players and offer a decent amount for him, or even barca. Most of the top teams are all set in january and not looking to add anyone.
    What annoys me is people saying torres is a lone stirker and won't be able to play with suarez, and then talking about him being up front with drogba...
    If champions league for chelsea is a deal breaker, I'll be cheering spurs on to 4th spot (don't think it's likely for us, although we are 9 points off with 42 points to play for, which everyone seems to dismiss!)
    Either way, I don't fancy chelsea for the league, they're out of the league cup and torres is cup tied for the FA cup, which leaves only CL for him to play in and they've looked shaky in that.

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Did he not play in a Europa game? Again though.... 3 days left with us, right after we sign Suarez? Begs to question if he knew the deal with Suarez was done when this was done or was Suarez his replacement from the beginning of the month?

You see how moody Drog is at times and he likes to be sole guy up top, imagine him and Torres fighting for the same space..... For me, the only way , if Torres pushes it through , that this deal goes through is if we get a substantial amount and Anelka. A Forward who is proven and won't leave us with Kuyt and Ngog, is that seriously our only strikers by the way? Jova is here nor there really.

6. suarezlfc

suarezlfc Active Member

Yeah, but I think once the group stages are over then he's eligible for CL - so I've read anyway - so maybe that means Suarez can play in Europa. Not only have we signed (almost) Suarez, but the results have started to pick up and the football being played is certainly better to watch. So why didn't he ask for a move at the beginning of the month/end of december when we were being turned over by Wolves and Blackburn? Only he and his agent will know.

Daniel Sturridge has apparently been offered, but he's hardly what you'd call proven or consistent. If the deal has to happen, I'd want as much as possible out of it. But Anelka would certainly be better than Sturridge in my opinion. Suarez I see as a more dynamic version of Kuyt, which is why he'd work well with Torres who is more the sort to put it in the back of the net than be bustling about hastling players all over the place. Basically like a Berbatov and Rooney combo. Dirk and Luis I don't think would work particularly well because, as I've said, they're too similar. Although, who knows, maybe they'd work well. We'll only know for sure once we've seen it.

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Ya I forgot there is a loophole of some sorts? I think Lass Diarra went to Real and was able to play in CL even though he played Europa for Pompey? I'm with you on the timing, just stunned as it seems the results are picking up the style is picking up, we go out and spend and then this.....

No chance on Sturridge, he doesn't offer anything different than Ngog. I see him more like a Tevez for me, in terms of first line of defense, putting players under pressure, but still extremely skillful. I would take Anelka and he at lest knows of the lure and was one of those that got away ( Diouf over Anelka- Houlliers biggest blunder).

By the way, you must be in a US time zone as if it's in the UK it is extremely late! Hopefully a kebab and pints were sorted for the night!

8. suarezlfc

suarezlfc Active Member

Well, Suarez even compared himself to Tevez, so he must be in that mould. I only saw him at the WC, where he looked decent. Never really have Dutch games on TV apart from at like 4 in the morning on channel 5..if they even still do that.

To add to the point about timing, if the Chelsea bid is the reason behind his transfer request, you'd think they'd have made it as soon as the window opened.

Also, it seems he isn't even their first choice if the Aguero stuff is true, so who knows why he's so keen to go there? The end of the season makes more sense as A. He'd know for sure if Chelsea were in the CL. B. The Liverpool fans would understand more and be less likely to boo him (although i think we still would if we played them) and C. He'll have more options. Just because Chelsea are the ones throwing the cash at us currently doesn't mean they're the only team who fancy him.

I though Anelka was good in his brief spell here. He wanted to stay too, so I don't know why GH ever got rid. Oh and I'm in the UK, just up this late because I've been in bed most of the day having been at work at about this time yesterday.

9. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

haha Ok, just wondering as it is getting late in the states! ya I am with you, If he wants to leave in the summer is fine... gives us time to look at all the options I mentioned about, see how Suarez adapts and who he needs to help support him, etc.

I am still hoping for a winger in this window, since Roy has departed it seems our targets have improved dramatically!!! Really looking forward to the summer in terms of Manager, players, maybe more talk on Stadium or Renovations. Try to keep everything positive!