1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Snap Election Called

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by GeordieHalfbreed, Apr 18, 2017.

1. GeordieHalfbreed

GeordieHalfbreed Well-Known Member

PM just announced a snap election for this June.

On the plus side, I suppose a Tory government until 2023 is better than one until 2025. That's about the only positive I can think of.

2. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Obviously wants a bigger majority to push through the sweeping changes to taxes and public services post-Brexit and to not be held hostage by minorities in her own party. I have no doubt she'll win this because there is just about no opposition to speak of except in Scotland. At least she'll be able to claim a legitimate mandate from the people.

I've never felt so disenfranchised with politics. I'm not sure I'll even vote since nobody is representing my views.

anyobrien likes this.
  3. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

She was all against it but then lo and behold she about turns and goes along with her backbenchers afterall. A free extra two years is not be sniffed at. Of course her change of heart is down to those things she's just said. Its not at all about claiming a mandate from the people to push through the reforms those ****ers have planned. It'll all be set up nicely for the top 5% no doubt.

Quite cute really the way they've played it, but obvious to even the most simple person with little knowledge of politics. They don't have to care though because with no opposition, they have nothing to fear. So you take the 2 years while its on offer.

4. General Lee Speaking

Has to be curtains here for Labour too. They are going to get wiped out surely?

I bet the turnout is very low also.

5. General Lee Speaking

YouGov:

please log in to view this image

6. Judge Death

Judge Death Well-Known Member

Think it will be for Corbyn - suspect there will be a few Labour MPs hoping for a pasting this time round to get shot of him so they've a more credible party next time round.

Post Brexit, I think the vote might be quite high - however, got to agree with General Lee- never felt so disenfranchised with the current political parties

Always voted Labor, but can't with Corbyn in charge - not my party and doesn't represent me in any way. Can't see myself voting Tory and the rest are all wasted votes, so...........

7. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I think the turnout will be horrific. People have had enough politics recently for the last 5 years. There is nothing concrete for them to align to outside of the blue side. She obviously feels there is little threat from the likes of UKIP due to them turning into a farce, labour are at zero, and the lib dems lost all respect when they jumped in bed. Timing wise the stock has never been higher. More seats, more power, and 2 extra years. Its a no brainer.

I do think those suggesting a hard brexit is on the horizon have this completely wrong. I'd imagine part of her reasoning has come from the financial sector, all of whom suggested this would actually see a less confrontational exit based on there being more unity in the ranks. i.e. less weakness to exploit. I don't doubt her sincerity on that front, but it would be foolhardy to ignore there being other things it would help them push through.

I kinda agree regardless to be honest.

8. General Lee Speaking

Yeah, Corbyn will get trounced and he'll resign, but if the party members are voting for left-leaning candidates like Corbyn then surely they are going to vote for someone similar? They are rejecting the centre-left/New Labour candidates it would seem. Have I got this wrong?

9. Gjc21

Gjc21 New Member

Regardless of your political beliefs, it's a smart move by May. No credible opposition, more time and power with little risk of losing.

Politics is in tatters (not just in the U.K.).

10. GeordieHalfbreed

Lib Dems might be worth a shout. I've always felt that having them as a credible centrist option kept the other two parties from going too extreme, as if they did they'd lose votes to the centre. Even if they don't win many seats this time around it's important to prevent too many people dismissing them as a wasted vote.

They got wiped out after the coalition (which they sort of deserved after promising the Earth in their 2010 manifesto and then getting called out on failing to deliver it) and hey presto both Labour and Tories lurch to the extremes. Politics is bad enough in this country without it going to US-style extremes.

11. Judge Death

no I think that's a pretty fair assessment - the centre-left/New Labour thing is currently looking a bit toxic due to the legacy left by Tony Blair, however to go the extremes has probably disenfranchised people even further.

I guess the big question is, post the next General Election, will someone be pragmatic enough to realise that extremes are never going to be popular enough to win sufficient votes and for the party to decide whether it wants to stick to its further left guns and probably remain unelectable, or swing closer to the centre and give themselves a chance.

Think the Lib Dems will take a long time to recover from their fairly pitiful coalition efforts - this election has come way to early for them

12. General Lee Speaking

I will see what policies they put forward and what the local candidate is like since I think they are the only party I could realistically vote for. I may have to vote Labour just to try and make sure the incumbent MP keeps her seat and there is some opposition left to the May regime. I think the Tories will win a lot of votes back from UKIP and will win a lot of seats from Labour as a result.

13. anyobrien

anyobrien Well-Known Member

There are no parties that represent my views and politics anymore ..........Im 46 and i was quite active in my opinions but now i feel its a total waste of time...I used to think i could make a diffrence.Its a bit like following the toon they have kicked the **** out of me to the point im punch drunk and dont give a toss anymore...

14. ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter

ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter Well-Known Member

Well, I will be voting Plaid Cymru as usual. At least their policies are very much what Labour used to be but when the 'Party of Wales' doesn't even have most of the Welsh seats then I wonder what's the point?

On Betfair the Tories have most seats at the equivilent of 1/10 on. I can't argue much against those odds even though I would rather anyone else being in. And I mean anyone.

15. General Lee Speaking

I know how you feel but I keep reminding myself of the privilege that we have to have the freedom to vote. It is something that people have died for to win the right to, and also something many people still don't have around the world. It's not to be taken for granted. That said, I may walk in to the polling station and spoil my ballet paper on polling day considering my feelings of abject apathy.

anyobrien likes this.
  16. GeordieHalfbreed

Most seats is different to 'increased majority' though - which is what May is after. I'd love it, just love it if she lost her majority.

17. Nolberto's Salsa Inferno

Nolberto's Salsa Inferno Well-Known Member

Tories introduce fixed term parliaments ..to stop calling elections when the going is ...'just right' for the government

Tories call a snap election when the going is 'just right' for them ...and Labour are going to support them ..as they need two thirds parliament approval to do so ....Personally I don't get that at all

Let the Tories bash away at the huge mess and drown in all the ****e they have created for another 2/3 years ..Things are going to get very bad for a lot of people in that time and maybe we will start to get angry about what has been done to our country ..This just gives them an extra 2 years to try and sort it out...(which they wont..but thats ok ...they will instead have 2 more years to screw anyone that isn't ..one of them)

Basically the Tories don't give two flying ****s for the country ..They have consistently shown that its ONLY about what is good for their party and their Donors ..as this snap election shows once more

18. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

The big plus point is Corbyn will fail miserably and the departure of the trade union's puppet will herald a new dawn with Labour. That way I can get back to voting for them again.

Another benefit is that a big win for May will piss on wee Jimmy Krankie's chips big time.

Longer term, a stronger Labour will erode share of vote in Scotland for the rabble rousing SNP.

19. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

Labour <laugh> no chance.

20. Judge Death

Ultimately that's what I'm hoping for, because if the Labour Party stick with that clueless imbecile, they'll be consigned to the political rubbish bin of history

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.