1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

'Smack on the Bum or a Cuddle'

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Feb 13, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Lee Johnson admits he was undecided between 'smack on the bum or a cuddle' for his Bristol City side
    By a_stockhausen

Lee Johnson's side have not won a game away from home since September

Lee Johnson admitted he did not know whether to give his players a "smack on the bum or a cuddle" after watching them let a three-goal lead slip at Derby County today.

City were outstanding in the first half and led 3-0 inside 39 minutes thanks to Matty Taylor's opening goal for the club and a double from top-scorer Tammy Abraham.

But the Robins had not reckoned on Derby's resilience and the home side staged a storming second-half fightback, Darren Bent netting with a header and from the penalty spot either side of a Tom Ince header.

Although City's players might well have taken a point had it been offered before the game, being pegged back to 3-3 so late in the contest no doubt felt like a defeat.

Disappointed head coach Johnson said: "It's a bit like when you're child runs into the street and you grab them to get them back – you don't know whether to smack them on the bum or cuddle them.

"I feel a bit like that with my players. I'm not going to lambast them, because we've played some great football in the first and second halves and were quite comfortable for a long period.

"But in the end, we've let a three goal lead slip and I cannot stand here and be chipper about it. It's disappointing and there's no getting away from that."

City remain three points clear of the Championship relegation zone and are now unbeaten in their last three games. Looking ahead to Tuesday's trip to Leeds United, Johnson is determined to take the positives from a topsy-turvy encounter in the East Midlands.

He said: "We've kept our mini unbeaten run going and I'll take the positives from what was a very good performance. I thought Jens Hegeler showed why he has played Champions League football in that first half and I'm very pleased with the goals scored by Tammy Abraham.

"Matty Taylor has also played well and scored his first goal for the club, which is important. But he will be disappointed with the one he missed in the second half. He took his eye off the ball and, had that one gone in, we would have been 4-1 up and it would have been game over."

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/lee-jo...derby-county/story-30129128-detail/story.html

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Funny he should say that I thought a good smack on the bum is what he needed recently..

3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

"It's disappointing and there's no getting away from that."

The king of the understatement.

4. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

In isolation, this sort of things happen, but its far too frequent

5. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

For those that don't like him will criticise what ever he says.................................................fact!
    Of course if he says nothing, guess what? he will be critcised for that too..........
    If he gets us out of our current situation it will be all to do with the money he's spent, if we don't finish in the top 6 it's because he's a crap manager!
    Wow, there's nothing like getting behind the manager and his team is there?!!

manxrobin and Alandicksthegreat like this.
  6. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

<ok>

7. Angelicnumber16

If he gets us out of the current mess, a very large part of keeping us out of the bottom 3 will be to do with the continued failings of Wigan, Blackburn and Burton.

8. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

How to confirm what onefor is saying in one simple sentence :emoticon-0136-giggl

9. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

<ok>

10. oneforthebristolcity

Sad in it!

11. Angelicnumber16

I'm saying that LJ is yet to prove himself as the Manager of my club in a lot of respects

His record this season is very poor overall.

Our form in the last 4 months is just woeful.

And the only thing that has saved him is 3 or 4 even poorer teams around us. But that's their failing, not to be confused with any success on his part.

Do I want to back him now ? No I don't. He's had his chance.

Had he not overseen the worse losing streak in our entire HISTORY and had he won a couple of those winnable games where we threw away winning positions with minutes left, then people would be a lot more patient with him now.

But Saturday saw the same old failings with lessons either not being given in the first place, or not being learned.

Either way the buck stops with the Manager.

12. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Only when we lose, anything we do positively is usually the fault of someone else

13. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

And the players get away scot free, get it right mate, criticise the manager for his recent record by all means, but criticise the players as well, they are the ones on the pitch.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  14. oneforthebristolcity

Yes the 3 or 4 teams behind us are poorer than us so far, that's how it works!! Every team in all 4 divisions are poorer than Chelsea!!
    "He's had his chance" maybe, but I still don't see anyone out there that's available that I feel will do any better.....the fact is, he saved us last season from relegation....I'm still backing the guy.....
    Yes the worst losing streak, but I see the bigger picture.......all games we've lost are by the odd goal, occasionally 2, that still says to me, we are not far away,,,,,even our goal difference says that...

I get it, lots on here either can't stand the guy, or feel we are such a big club we should be attracting the likes of Top class managers.................one word......Blinkers! or 5 words......Living in a dream world!

15. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

I will be there v Fulham, Leeds and Villa. The money Mr Johnson has been granted is not inconsequential. No Manger in BCFC's history has received this backing minus results.

Surely it is up to Mr Johnson to change fans perceptions via performances?

16. oneforthebristolcity

Money doesn't mean everything as you well know, Leicester with hardly any spend won the Premiership last season, this season, spent loads and are fighting relegation.....
    I see it, that if he picks a side that week in week out we are being thrashed, then yes he's crap.....the sides he has been picking are losing by the odd goal or are unable to look after a good lead.......some of that has to be down to the players.......I can only guess that we lack a leader on the pitch to close all doors when we do have a lead.
    Mistakes and conceding penalty's are down to the players,,,,,,of the most games I've managed to see, this has been the difference.

17. Cliftonville

And to reiterate. The money Mr Johnson has been granted is not inconsequential. No Manger in BCFC's history has received this backing minus results. None.

One nil or five nil defeats. The results in context have been ****.

The results are down to the Manager and his lack of acumen. City's inability to defend leads is down to the Manager, unless you believe that a team can be cohesive defensively when it changes shape from match to match e.g Wednesday, Rotherham and Derby saw multiple formations and differing ideas defensively. Bristol City out of possession look consistently poor. Versus Derby City changed defensive lines in the second half. That is a reflection of the Manager and his preparation.

On Sunday I watched Burnley v Liverpool. Jamie Carragher ran out of superlatives for how good Burnley were without the ball ... "They are so well drilled, organised, do this every week, know how they set up, defend as one, know what they are ...!" Without the ball none of that applies to BCFC. The mistakes are the consequences of his ill preparation and tinkering.

18. oneforthebristolcity

Yeah but Burnley are atrocious away from home.....is that also bad management?

19. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Did you think it was weird Liverpool playing in blue and having Costa up front for them ;)

20. Cliftonville

A slip.

However the point is the same.

Bristol City's defensive aberrations are predictable due to constant change. Then you have Burnley. Fluent almost robotic without the ball because the Manager does not over complicate defending as a team.