1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sin Bin Trial.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, May 3, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

'Sin bins' to be trialled by English FA from next season

The Football Association will trial 'sin bins' in the lower leagues of English football from next season.

The FA plans to introduce what it calls "temporary dismissals" in England's step seven - six tiers below the National League - and the leagues below.
    They will only apply to yellow cards shown for dissent, and will see players leave the field for 10 minutes.
    It will also be tested in Sunday League and male and female youth football.
    More than 1,000 clubs received emails over the weekend asking if they were willing to be part of the pilot process.
    "There has already been a positive response with over 60 leagues in support of it," an FA spokesperson said.
    Clubs are normally charged a £10 fine for each yellow card but the FA will not be charging this administration fee for those that participate.
    Step seven is the bottom level of English football's National League System, which feeds into the country's professional leagues.
    The highest league within that structure - step one - is the National League.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39790484

2. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

It would be nice to see the silly criminals punished for their stupidity and for bringing disrepute to the game. Referee baiting should be one of the things on the list as well as trying to get another player sent off. The players believe they have the right to run the game and it's time for it to stop and the experiment could be good for the game going forward.

3. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I think it's a good idea personally so long as it's a quick process without disrupting the game.

4. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Interesting idea. Not sure how difficult it might be to implement and make the punishments stick at that level though.

5. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Goalkeepers that waste time and eventually get booked in the 89th minute. Be a good idea this

6. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

It works in other sports and anything to stop time wasting, arguing has got to be a good thing.

7. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

this will be a very interesting exercise, imagine 2 players off for part of the ten minutes and the other side score!
    the ref's will be inundated with choices to make! whereas a player might give a bit the ref at present might hold back a card but with just 10 mins off the pitch might be more likely to
    would we see games with 9 10 11 players on the pitch...?

8. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Why not? If it's the rules then it's the players that have to abide by them. I've seen rugby games reduced to 13 players and yet they never argue with the ref or their decision. Football could learn a lot by how the ref runs the games there.

9. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

TOTALLY AGREE, but of course Rugby is a gentlemans game and not yet fallen to the rot that is TV sponsorship and obscene wages..... and inflated ego's

10. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

At the start of the season the refs were booking people for dissent a lot (Mr Tomlin an example)

However it seems to have slipped back a bit

Maybe the sin-bin (or whatever colour card it will be) might work - IMO needs an experiment in a decent League like the National League

11. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Having played Rugby and mostly in the scrum, Gentlemanly is not a word I would use for some of the treatment I have had playing. That said, right from school and at all levels, the ref is called Sir,only the captain could speak to him and any backchat usually meant going back 10 yards.In my more brashful youth, I did it a second time and got more abuse from my Captain and some team mates than any punishment the ref could give me.(we went back a further 10 yards). In Rugby, the ref is respected more.

RedorDead likes this.
  12. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

To add to that above, I once said to a ref that I wasn't offside when he blew me up for it. Having already stopped the game, he put his hands on my shoulders, moved me to where I had been and explained why I was then in an offside position. I felt a prat not only in front of the ref but my teammates too.I think refs in Rugby even today are much better explaining things, often today being miked up on TV.A lot of refs in football dont do the same.