1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Should legend Leon start at Chelsea ?

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by swanseaandproud, Feb 23, 2017.

1. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

My own opinion is definitely a big fat NO.....Chelsea players will run rings around him and will target him as our weakest link, We need our fittest and younger players who have got us out of the relegation places to carry on and keep gelling to see us through the season. By playing the Legend will risk disrupting our form and we cant afford that.....He will however be a bonus in the dressing room.....

2. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

3. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Its not a definite big fat no from me but a no all the same. Carroll, Cork, Fer, all ahead of him now.

Even if he never plays for us again he'll always be an important part of the club. I hope when he eventually hangs up his boots for the last time he stays here where he belongs. He's family and he'll always be a Jack Bastard.

4. swanseaandproud

With 4 swans doing their A badges then if I had to choose two to stay on then Leon and magic daps would be my choice. If only one then Trunds all day long...

Stumpy likes this.
  5. trundles left foot

I agree, in that they have all had 2 weeks off, so stick with whats been working and they will be well rested.

6. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

No, but I'd like to see him get 15-20mins against. Helsea. We need him fully fit for the 4 games after that. His experience and ability (still our best passer, possession break up player etc) will be crucial in the games we will be targeting 3 points.

Net season, I'd love to see him as a player coach.

7. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Leon should be used know at the end of games (Off The Bench) when we are shutting up shop, his defensive ability in front of the back four is still class, and his experience and ability is perfect for seeing out the last 20 minutes of game when we are a couple of goals up...........<ok>

trundles left foot and seabreeze like this.
  8. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

I think Clement may use this game as a learning curve and we could very well see Britton start if he's healthy .I also think Narsingh will get a start with an outside chance of VDR and KI .

Stumpy likes this.
  9. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Hope not Roof. Barring any injuries, we should keep the same 11 for continuity etc.

10. seabreeze

I also think the current line up we've been going with the past couple of games will be used the rest of the season , except for Narsingh replacing Routs , with cameo appearences from the rest . But I do feel something different for the Chelsea game only .

ValleyGraduate12 and Newportswan like this.

11. Newportswan

Newportswan Well-Known Member

Totally agree <ok>

DragonPhilljack and seabreeze like this.
  12. seabreeze

Some have said teams would run circles around Britton since we came up to the Premier, some even said he shouldn't even be playing in the Premier since day one . If it wasn't for Britton and Rangel coming in after Monk was sacked , we might be playing Cardiff this weekend .And some know Britton was and is one of the most important players we had and have . I hope Makelele and Britton build a new force of defensive midfielders in our future .

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  13. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Nobody has ever ran rings around Leon in the PL. He could start every game for the rest of the season and I'm 100% confident that nobody would run rings around him.
    Leon, for me, has been the most important player the past 10 years.

14. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

I'll second that Valley!.......<ok>

seabreeze likes this.
  15. Newportswan

Newportswan Well-Known Member

When you look back at the players we have had in the last 10 years you have to agree that Trundle and Britton have been the stand out players. They have been true jacks and i am sure will be linked to the club for many years to come. We have been blessed with some great players but when you stack up contribution, ability, quality and reliability these two edge it over everyone else.

16. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

17. trundles left foot

I think you have to add Ashley Williams to that as well.

18. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Fully agree. If only we could find a PL version of Trundle.

19. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

I think he might too. Only way Clement can learn who he can rely on and trust is to play them.

We'll need more than 11 players to take us to the end of the season and this is the perfect opportunity for Clement to learn who is reliable, who is interchangeable and who is indispensable and he has to test the players to find this out.

Saturday is an opportunity to learn as there's nothing to lose. Clement may want to push the players to perform so he can learn who he can trust so we may well see a few new faces in the starting line up to give him a little incite into how he can squeeze the most he can out of the squad.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  20. swanseaandproud

Leon has been a great player for us over the years but we have younger and fitter players who are the future and leon should never get a look in now....The amount of times leon has been subbed because younger fitter players were running rings and muscling easily off the ball is a fact. Leon is past his best now most fans know that and its more sentiment than anything that some fans want him to play....If the truth was known Leon is still here because he married a Neath girl and she refuses to move or Leon would have been long gone years ago when he was wanted by other better clubs.....We saw what happened when he moved to Sheffield with his wife where she was so homesick that she came home, He was back with us before anyone noticed he was gone......Leon's best bet is to give up playing before he really gets hurt and concentrate on his coaching Badges in the hope Swansea take him on and he has an excellent chance of staying as part of the coaching staff....I'm not being funny but we must look to the future now and not the past.....sentiment don't win you nothing and at the age Leon is and his size he keeps getting injured and I would hate to see him get a serious injury that will happen if we keep playing him.....