1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Should Fraser be "rested"?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints_Alive, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, i've been an admirer of his, but this season he seems to have lost his way a bit. He is simply not stopping shots that he would've done in previous seasons and his body language just appears to be apprehensive all the time. I really think that he could benefit from a spell out of the spotlight to find himself and no player should be an automatic pick...Thoughts?

2. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Don't think any of our backups are any better than Forster right now, in all honesty.

He looks edgy - I've said it before, but I don't think our "fans" are helping him. Heard far too much sarcastic applause and support for him this season.

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

It isn't just how he is playing, but what the back ups are like as well. He is seriously lacking in confidence. When he did that miracle save, Forster quite rightly said that he had messed up before to need to do that. No problem with honesty but he was so down about it....a confident goalkeeper may have admitted his fault, but he would have made a joke about it....knowing he was unlikely to do it again.

4. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I would agree Fraser is lacking in confidence have been saying this for a while. I also agree we don't seem to have a great stand in, in the wings, or at least someone to push him along a bit. I don't think there will be many that disagree he has lost a bit of form. Do we start looking for a new goal keeper though and maybe make him even less confident?

5. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Back packing in India is the usual remedy!

Not sure about this one. I wholly agree with your analysis, but whether "resting" him is the right move I do question. It could rebound, and he could spend weeks reflecting on the errors he has made this season and become afraid to play. It is a great pity that McCarthy is injured. He looks good to me, and we could have played him for a few games and simply said Fraser was injured. Any other scenario will look like a vote of no confidence in Fraser. Definitely a bad move.

What is certain is that he doesn't need supporters to jeer him. Prats.

6. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

We all know that Fraser is a good keeper. He's shown it many times and who can forget that run of games last season when he came back and saved everything under the sun. Stick with him.

Archers Road and Saints Fan4Life like this.
  7. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Still think he's carrying a long term injury. He hurt himself during the final as well, right foot type area. Not sure anyone else noticed.

8. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I think he's suffering a little like Joe Hart, although I don't think it's that dramatic. But he's similar in that he can be brilliant and yet let himself down by almost being too casual. The latest example, the Ibra free-kick, was simply down to bad positioning. He didn't just tempt Ibra to hit it over the wall into the opposite corner, it was a positive invitation. One that gave him little chance of saving it, even on a great day. His fumble and fantastic recovery against Liverpool was about being set wrong for the initial shot, and that's another aspect of positioning the body. He's still a fantastic stopper even now, but there are some elements of his goalkeeping that he needs to go back and take a good look at.

EDIT: Noted LTL's point.

9. Saints_Alive

A good reason for resting him maybe?

10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Always jeer at your goalkeeper as this is known to markedly improve their confidence and performance.

11. Mr_Saintly

Mr_Saintly Well-Known Member

Yes but not only because I think he's been average over the last few months, he also looks in pain in every game he's played for most of the season. Still injured perhaps, or just severely lacking self confidence.

While "resting" him won't help the self confidence, it might be the right thing to do if he's carrying something and I wouldn't be surprised to see Hassen get a few games now the final is out the way.

12. TheSecondStain

And our best back-up keeper McCarthy is also out injured. Hassen hasn't been tried yet. One wonders why Taylor doesn't ever play.

13. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

He must be older than me now. Nigh on Godders age I think!

14. TheSecondStain

15. Beddy

Absolutely.........We know by continually reminding him of his mistakes it will vastly improve his game..........Really guys and Gals...........Really.........A goalkeeper needs continual encouragement.
    Just remember if a player on the field makes a mistake more often than not there is someone to cover his mistake. A goalkeeper rarely has that luxury. So come on Guys and Gals lets have a bit of charity and understanding!

16. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

Yes. Give Hassen a chance. I can't see how he could he do worse than Fraser at the moment. He has the worst stats of any goalkeeper in the league and concedes every other shot at goal. These are just the facts.

Dark Lord SFC likes this.
  17. Saints_Alive

Can't imagine any of the good people that post on Saints Not606 would ever jeer a player...Saintsweb on the other hand.....

18. TheSecondStain

I'm sure he's got better things to do than read our vague opinions, BT, so I very much doubt we're doing any harm. ;)

Guys and Gals. Reminds me of Jimmy Saville. <laugh>

19. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Hassen played a lot under Puel. It's not like he has been back up his entire career.

There is something up with Forster, be it injury, confidence etc. The guy takes like a year to dive these days.

Qwerty likes this.
  20. Beddy

Sorry about that wanted to say ......Messieur-dam but didn't know how to spell it..........<laugh>

TheSecondStain likes this.