1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sheffield Wednesday v Charlton Athletic Match Thread

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Addick4Life, Feb 14, 2014.

1. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

A fantastic performance and a wonderful night to be a Charlton fan <cheers>

Once again Powell got his tactics and substitutions exactly right, although we started to drop a bit too deep as we tired in the second half. The first half was possibly our best performance of the season, with Fox looking solid and Harriott outstanding on the wing (proof that there is a footballer in there if he knuckles down). Terrific atmosphere in the ground, very lively and reminded me a bit of Elland Road.

Wednesday clearly had a rocket at half time, and got on top of us in the second half. Step forward our two stalwarts Morrison and Jackson- both real leaders on the night and constantly cajoling the younger blokes Fox and Harriott.

I am glad that CP didn't go for the easy option again last night and chose Harriott and Fox over Green and Evina.

The last 20 mins seemed like an eternity and Hamer made a couple of great saves at the end.

The scenes at full time would have been relished by all of the regulars on here. The whole squad came down to our end to celebrate, and Powell lifted himself on to the cross bar during ecstatic celebrations. Great stuff.

Player ratings:

Hamer 8 - flapped at a couple, but two class saves

Wilson - 6

Morrison - 9. Immense

Wood -8 ditto

Fox - 7. We have a player here

Cousins 6.5. Grafted hard all night

Poyet. 8. - class

Jackson 8. Love him

Harriott 8. Now do it every week

Astrid 8. Class again

Church. 6. Grafted hard and scored.

Powell 10. You would have needed a heart of stone not to enjoy his reaction at the end.

Got home at 2.30am :emoticon-0100-smile

2. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Lord Powell of Greenwich to you.

3. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Next step...... King of Scotland <ok>

4. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Interesting re Fox. I'm not going to dig him out too much as it was his debut, but I thought he was poor. Lost his footing for their goal and his crossing was poor, though he did make a few blocks towards the end.

Was just going over the match in my head on my morning commute, and the Massive really are a poor side, but you can see they play to their players strengths. That was a battle last night, and we won it. I think having so many youngsters in the side really brings the best/leadership out of the senior players. It was nice to see Jackson give Poyet a calming assurance after the back pass in the first half. I also looked for Hamer's reaction, but again his arm gesture was for everyone to just calm down. We seem to have a good mix at the moment - having Astrid play behind Church was a huge positive. If Reza can be the goalscorer I think he is, with his movement I fancy that link up to start dragging us away from the bottom. Keep Tudgay as a impact sub for the time being and continue with that formation.

5. User deleted as requested

I have seen Fox play a couple of times pre season but I thought he came of age last night. Looks a good solid full back and yet another off the Paul Hart conveyor belt. There are some very worrying rumours about Chris Solly swirling around this week. Looks like he is out for the rest of this season at the very least.

It was great to see JJ and Morrison leading from the front last night, particularly in the second half when they got on top of us.

If Hamer does not start at Leicester then CP will undo much of the goodwill he earned last night.

6. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

:smile:4 of our Academy products started last night, 5 if you count Wilson.:wink:
    :cheesy:That's the way to do it!:biggrin:
    :emoticon-0137-clapp :emoticon-0137-clapp :emoticon-0137-clapp

7. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Sometimes, the opposite happens and football lifts you out of a trough. Recently, I've had my dad very unwell, and at 84 improvement is unlikely. I was supposed to fly back to visit him this month, but owing to being unpaid lately at work, I had no money to go and the plane went without me. All in all miserable stuff.
    Then last night, sat in front of the PC watching the effort the team put in, and their just rewards at the end, I felt my spirits lift through the roof, and I'm still happy now. All the day to day stuff is still there, but for now I' ve got a nicer perspective on it.
    Thank you CP and the boys.

8. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

6 in the squad with Green on the bench <cheers>

9. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Sorry to hear about your old man, Ken. I hope it turns around for you and the family.

10. Iwantabettertakeover

I'm knackered, and living off the adrenalin of 2 wins in 3 days.

Couple of great gutsy hard fought victories... The kids are doing brilliantly, but I still fear the pile up of fixtures will take its toll on this squad... We don't have strength in depth... Quality loans are still imperative...

Adjarevic has been a real the shot in the arm...

11. Glovepup

Glovepup Member

What a night. If you have not seen it I posted a video of the second goal last night from the away end on my twitter account.

I'm shattered, we stayed to congratulate the players and I had a huge man hug from the skipper. You could see how much it meant to him and the rest of the squad.

I've only been to three away games and we have so far won all three so yes I'm going to Bramall Lane (especially as the skipper told me too).

12. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

The away fans were superb last night and really were the proverbial twelfth man, so much respect to you guys.

13. ForEverAnAddick

Amazing result last night!! Having watched the game on a stream last night, I've still found myself watching the highlights over and over again this morning!
    Brilliant performance from the lads and we finally got some luck that we haven't had all season!
    Cracking finish from Harriott, terrorized there full back 1st half, I just hope he can bring some more consistency to his game for the remainder of the season because there's no doubting the quality he has ! Hamers save in the last minute was outstanding! Powell deserves credit too, made the right changes to the starting 11 to freshen it up a bit and his celebrations at the end just shows how much he loves this club!
    Massive respect to all the fans that made the journey, you was loud and proud!!

Here's some highlights!
    (English comm.) http://www.footytube.com/video/sheffield-wednesday-1-2-charlton-athletic-259126?ref=wv_relbox

(Foreign comm. GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL) http://www.goalsaim.com/sheffield-wed-vs-charlton-1-2-highlights-2014-fa-cup/

14. OzAddick

OzAddick Member

Goooaaallllllllll !!!!!!!!!!!

15. OzAddick

OzAddick Member

That would have been something Glove ;)

16. ForEverAnAddick

17. Captain Blackaddick

Captain Blackaddick Well-Known Member

I was just thinking... has there ever been a game when we've fielded this many academy products from the start (4 not including Wilson)?

This is where the much-missed Colin Cameron would come in very handy.

18. User deleted as requested

Who is responsible for the transformation in Callum Harriott, or is this just a flash in the pan? Maybe recent fatherhood has persuaded him to knuckle down, forget off the field distractions, and concentrate on his football? He looked a different player last night.

19. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

20. CAFC TED

CAFC TED Well-Known Member

Hamer's last save is superb, it's 2nd best save I've seen this season behind Schmeichal off Kermit at the Valley this season