1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sheffield Wednesday @ Hillsborough 3/12/2016

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Dec 1, 2016.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Back over the moors into the land that time forgot and another trip to South Yorkshire, suspect this might be a slightly harder trip than or recent visit to Rotherham. One thing should be apparent we have to play better than the last two home gfames however we seem to play better when the opposition is slightly better hope this is the case on Saturday.
    Under the ownership of Dejphon Chansiri there has been an upturn in the Owls fortune, last season reaching the play off final before losing to Hull City, having watched it to me felt one game to far for them. They had a slow start to the season losingearly games against Burton and Leeds, at the moment they seem to be searching for consistency although saying that they are one place outside the play off places. They are unbeaten in their last two games with a decent win at Wolverhampton last time out.
    They have spent a bit of cash over the last two seasons and have a decent squad which could be close again, they have three ex North Enders Wallace, Reach and Jones all mainly left footers, Wallace is good on set plays, Reach was excellent for us whilst Jones was on loan to us about 10 years ago seems to be a journeyman these days not having kicked on as much as he should do.
    Danger man is Forestieri who received a red card last time the two sides met maybe a shade unlucky on the day. Last time at their gaff we lost 3-1 although have to say looking back no qualms about the result however they did not have to work hard for the goals on the day. That game was also Paddy McCarthy's debut for North End he lasted nine minutes and was never seen again.
    Aiden McGeady spent time on loan at Hillsborough last season although it was not a raging sucess of a spell, can see why at times the ability to beat the same man 300 times can be infuriating but hopefully he will be on his game as he was at the New York Stadium.
    Gallagher missed the last game in hindsight probably needed him against Burton.
    Personal view would be to give Hugill a break and let loose Makienok on the unsupecting Owls. Will be happy with a point not seen us win their since September 2000 would be nice to end that run. Tough game though.

Sheff Wed last three LDW Next three Reading A Barnsley H Rotherham H
    PNE Last three WDD Next three Venky's H Notts FA Bristol City A

2. themaclad

Gally definitely out, Beckford back

3. themaclad

Well what can you say a truly bizarre day from beginning to end, woke up feeling a bit crap but no matter how bad you are you do not miss matches. My mate was in London so was sat with a stranger on the coach, so hopefully keep conversation to a minimum.
    Go back to the last away match at Rotherham, we were watching the TV game on the concourse when a random starnger started talking to my mate, they guy sounded a bit like Stephen Hawking, but was talking about non random football things like Brexit. Looked at my friend, gave a wry smile your on your own here fella. Fast forward to today guess who is the seat next to me, deep joy, lots of random conversation but at 1.30 they mentioned Brexit on the news FFS I know were this one way conversations going and sure enough it did.
    After a tour of the scenic arears of 15th century back street Sheffield arrive at the ground, get settled in seat and off we go. Can honestly say it was one of the more odd games that I've ever seen.
    Took Wednesday 10 minutes to open the scoring which was a surprise as they could have had three in the first ten minutes, Forestieri, Joao both had great chnaces which they missed and Baptiste also header off the line.
    The goal was not a great piece of defending, a quick free kick Lees got down the right after a bit of head tennis Forestieri plonked the ball into the net.
    North End actually replied quite well, a shot from Robinson hit the outside of the post, we had a couple of corners but apart from that didn't trouble Westwood that much.
    Wednesday using the width of the pitch were causing us problems down the flanks with one lace Wallace giving Cunningham a hard time. There was then a series of lengthy stoppages as both Wallace and Loovens had treatment both were substituted. The flow of the game was dispupted a little but Wednesday looked more incisive and faster when going forward, our build up was a bit ponderous. A Browne shot tested Westwood, but on the stroke of half time Wednesday should have doubled their lead when first Forestieri was given a shocking pass when well placed and then Buckley should have scored with a header. Carlos was not to happy with the referee at half time as Mr Duncan left to a chorus of dissent.
    North End made two substitutions at half time Vermijl and Beckford for the injured McGeady and Browne. A more open start and a more entertaining start both sides having half chances. Mr Duncan then in the spirit of fairness kept giving North End free kicks on the edge of the box, the first by Johnson was awfulm, Robinson's was better and from the third we got a corner.
    Then came the first flashpoint although got this information from another mate who I met at the ground, Forestieri and the excellent Pearson tangled near the touchline there was a bit of by play and Forestieri apparently slapped Pearson, Red for Fernando as he fails to finish a game against us again.
    Pearson booed every time he touched the ball after that, strangely though Wednesday started to play well with 10 and soon doubled their lead when Maxwell clattered a home player in the box, no complaints daft tackle. Wasn't a great penalty by Fletcher but as Maxwell had dived the wrong way it did not really matter.
    Add to the mix Wednesday were technically down to nine as Buckley seemed to have damaged his shoulder in the penalty collision.
    With 10 minutes to go enter Eoin Doyle, within two minutes he'd scored as the ball rebounded to him in the box. North End as expected dominated but the final ball was utterly cack to say the least, then the I was there when it happened moment. Doyle races across the edge of the area feeds Vermijl who hits a shot narrowly over the bar, what weny on after that is one of those why did they do that. Beckford less than impressed with not being passed too, has a go verbal volley at Doyle, Doyle head butts Beckford and then it kicks off big time. Mr Duncan sends both off, so technically it's nine a side.
    Wednesday decided to keep the ball nearly cost them though right at the death Hugill headed over from close range,
    Personal view might have got a point if we had kept 11 on, but we didn't and therefore didn't.
    Back on the coach my new friend, Do you know Barnsley is about 14 miles from Sheffield? Yep it was that type of day, in a strange way it was entertaining. Which may have been the case on the team coach going home.

Sheffield Wednesday 2 Preston North End Att 24843

"Pre-match we talked about how this Preston team is, an organised team and very tough to play against. The last three away games they won at Norwich and drew at Brighton and so on.

"We prepared, I think, very well for the game. The first minutes we pressed a lot, when we achieved the goal, I think we deserved it.

"Our team showed how much they wanted to win and the quality of the group. They did fantastic team work. We had to concentrate with nine-and-a-half players, because (unused substitute Will) Buckley was just a body there, he couldn't move too much."

Preston North End manager Simon Grayson described Eoin Doyle and Jermaine Beckford as an "absolute embarrassment" after they were sent off for fighting.

The two strikers squared up near the end of Preston's 2-1 loss at Sheffield Wednesday as they chased an equaliser.

Both players are likely to receive three-match bans for violent conduct.

"I've been in the game for 30 years playing and managing and I've never been involved with anything like that," Grayson told BBC Lancashire.

"I spoke to them in the dressing room and they were apologetic, but that doesn't wash with me, something like that should never happen in the professional game."

But Beckford took exception to Doyle's decision to pass to Marnick Vermijl, who shot over the bar in the 90th minute.

"It's an absolute embarrassment," Grayson said. "I stick up for my players at every club I've been at, I don't like to criticise them in public, I will do in the dressing room. But I can't stick up for either of those players."
    What will Preston do?

Grayson said the duo would be reprimanded by the club, on top of any suspension handed to them by the Football Association.

"You expect it in the playground between four or five-year-olds, not from two professionals who've been in the game a long time," added the Preston boss.

"They've let themselves down, but that's the least of it. They've let our supporters down who've travelled here, and ultimately cost us the potential of getting a point or maybe three points because 11 against 10 we were on top and we had them.

"For something like that to happen is embarrassing. It's a joke, it's a disgrace."

Preston captain Tom Clarke told BBC Radio Lancashire that the team will discuss the incident early next week.

"It's not like us, we're a close group and all stick together and we'll look at it again on Monday and try and air stuff out," he said.

"We'll iron stuff out as quickly as we can because we've got to move on."

4. themaclad

Doyle and Beckford fined paying for the club to refund the tickets of those who went on Saturday

5. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

I should think so. Both are well experienced and well travelled players and should know the difference between a football match and a boxing match.