1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sheffield United (The Blades). A summary of their history

Discussion in 'Preston' started by theflyingplumber, Apr 14, 2011.

1. theflyingplumber

Sheffield United...(the Blades)

Championship Preston North End
    by theflyingplumber (U8833463) 14 April 2011

Northenders. (and anyone else interested)

Next Saturday we welcome the Blades. Below is a brief summary of their proud history.

The City of Sheffield has been described as the home of
    association football. The game was played here as long ago
    as 1793.
    The first football match at Bramall Lane took place in
    December 1862. The participating teams were Sheffield Club
    and Hallam. The match lasted for three hours and resulted
    in a goal-less draw.

Bramall Lane. Is one of the oldest sports enclosures in the Country. It was originally a Cricket ground and was used for both football and cricket until 1973.

On 16 March 1889, the FA cup Semi-Final between PNE and West Brom was played at the Lane. The gate receipts were £574 - a large amount of money in those days, and it prompted a suggestion that a Sheffield United Football Club should be formed.

On 22 March 1889 a meeting was held and it was decided to run a football team in conjunction with the Sheffield United Cricket Club.
    In May 1892 the United joined the recently formed Second Division of the Football League, and won promotion at their first attempt.

In those early years, many famous players wore the red-and white shirt and at one time in 1903, the club had no fewer than twelve International players on its books.

During this period United won the First Division and the FA Cup four times.
    They were also beaten Finalists on two occasions.

The immediate post-war period was marked by the brilliance of Jimmy Hagan, whom many consider to be United's greatest ever player. It was also the start of a series of fairly regular promotions and relegation with United moving up and down between first and second Divisions on no fewer than seven occasions, between 1949 and 1976.

The popularity of United's football brought to a head the long-standing argument about the desirability of playing football and cricket at the same ground and a decision was taken to provide a fourth side to what was essentially a three-sided stadium.
    The new stand seating 7746 people was opened in 1975.

Unfortunately, this coincided with a slump in fortunes.
    Relegation to Div 2 in 1976, and then Third and finally fourth in 1981.
    Things took a turn for the better in 1982, United were promoted to Div 3 and under the leadership of Manager Dave Bassett won promotion to the First Division. With the formation of the Premiership in 1992. United became a founder member and finished that inaugural season in 14th place.

United Honours.

Division one Champions :- 1897-98
    Runners-up :- 1896-97, 1889-1900

Division Two Champions : 1952-53
    Runners-up :- 1892-93, 1938-39, 1960-61, 1970-71, 1989-90

Championship Runners-up :- 2006

Division Four Champions :- 1981-82

FA Cup Winners :- 1899, 1902, 1915, 1925
    Runners-up :- 1901, 1936

United Managers.
    Joe Mercer
    Dave Bassett
    Howard Kendall
    Neil Warnock

Legends.
    Jimmy Hagan
    Tony Currie
    Billy Gillespie
    Alan Hodgkinson
    Joe Shaw
    Alan Kelly

And several more.

Out of interest the Blades supporters have an unusual song they like to sing, "The greasy chip butty song". You could well here it sung with great gusto on Saturday.

2. PNE-behind-enemy-lines

Great effort pal. Great to " know thy enemy" a little better. I fancy a chip butty now though!!!! Ha ha ha

3. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

And soon to be a league 1 club

4. theflyingplumber

Posted the same on 606 and the lashers have had it removed..<laugh>

Best part is the exact same was posted on 606 a couple of seasons ago without any problem..<yikes>

Typical lashers give it (so they think) but can't take it. No surprise there then..<laugh>

I used to post the same topic for every team we played until the shirtlifters got upset, so decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

:)

5. themaclad

I work with some of them they still think they are staying up. Deluded fools

6. lilywhite forever

I work with one Lasher and he's not too bad...it's the Wiganers that do my head in...one of them believes you shouldn't be able to score from a forward pass! That's watching 5 years of football for you....I think they're the real deluded ones tbh :)

7. themaclad

A forward pass indeed LOL

8. lilywhite forever

I know lad, it's the oval ball that's bred into them I think...I've had it bashed down my ear since they got in the PL. Hopefully they'll be a Championship side next season, sadly I don't think we'll be playing them in the League. I think we had our last bite at the cherry on Tuesday night :-(

9. themaclad

Put it this way if the pies go down their gates will drop to 6000

10. CZECH RED/WHITE

Thanks for the Mention of Our History. Really Sad that we are Both in the Mire. Hate to say it, but I think we are Both Down. Palace are getting the Results, and Donny have the Points. After the Game, Best of Luck for the Rest of the Season.

11. lilywhite forever

It is indeed sad Czech, and I agree that it seems we are both going to be in League One next season. It seems incredible that it's only two seasons ago we were pitted against each other in the Play Offs. It shows how quickly fortunes can turn. Thanks for the good wishes, and good luck to yourselves after Saturday.