1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sheff Wednesday

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cookie-6262, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

Although I don't hate the internationals as much as some it is nice to get back to league action especially as we are on a two game winning run and only two points off the top six. In a league where everyone beats everyone a run of three straight wins can really move you big time and we have a chance to do this at home.

In terms of team selection and with no known new injuries it has to be the same. Although with the likes of Kebano, Jozabed and Ayitie probably chomping at the bit for a chance and may even deserve a chance I think it is a easy decision to make to stay the same. You could argue Odoi and Madal haven't done anything massively wrong but it is just one of those situations where the starting 11 are fit and playing well so it has to stay the same.

Wednesday won't be an easy game they seem at bit similar to us in they have been a little inconsistent and would probably have liked to have a few more points on the board. With the likes of of Hooper, Fletcher and Foresteri they have quality upfront. We will definately have to be at our best but if we play to the level of our last two games we should win.

2. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

No press conference from the Gaffer today. However, I understand the only casualty is 'Copa' Kebano who is ill.

A confession - before the start of the season my outsider tip for a promotion place was Sheffield Wednesday. Mainly due to injuries they made a slow start and despite losing the last two game still have to be in the mix somewhere. They're again missing a few key players for tomorrow but with the likes of Lucas Joao back in contention, as Cookie says, they'll be tough to beat.

So far as our line-up goes, there are no 'big names' playing in this afternoon's U23 match and only Ayite (travelling time) and Sessegnon (3 games in as many days) should have International hangovers - will resist any England jibes! So I'd expect it to be business as before for the Gaffer -

..........................Button..............
    ..Fredericks...Kalas..Sigurdsson..Malone..
    .......................McDonald.....
    ....................Johansen......
    ....Aluko.............Cairney.....Piazon....
    .......................Martin........

3. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Agree the International break came just as we were putting a run of good performances together. Whether we can get that back is to be seen. Who will come back injured or tired from their journeys, no real news from the club yet. I suspect if all are fit the same team that played well at Brentford will start.

We have a tough run of clubs who are all near the top coming up starting with Wednesday, their danger man for me is Bannan plus they have Fletcher and Hooper who on their day can be lethal, but their defence can be suspect and inconsistent. They don't seem to score many goals in games and I think this will be a tight game too.

4. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

Not wishing to put a dampener on things but I will be attending and I've not seen a win for a long time. Same team that played prior to the break.

5. Cottager58

Just listened to the Gaffer on Fulham TV - with difficulty even with headphones on; not his fault, the quality is so poor. Anyway, apart from confirming that Kebano is indeed 'ill' and the other Internationals are fine, he didn't actually say a lot.

So switched to the Wednesday lot and it seems they are going to try and play for possession, or stop us getting it, by setting up as 4-4-2. One thing that surprised me a bit was the hint the their front two would be Hooper (who you'll remember we nearly signed) and Forestieri - no Fletcher therefore. Also it doesn't look as though there's a place for Ross Wallace - sure you'll remember his worldy back in January that won the game for them - but would bet my 5p he'll come off the bench. Apologies for barking on about the oppos but they are a real threat - especially on the break.

One last word on them, well two - Urby Emanuelsen.

upload_2016-11-18_20-20-43.jpeg

Had forgotten Wednesday signed him on a free in the summer. Very much doubt we'll see him on the field tomorrow though.

6. Cottager58

The man in charge today is Geoff Eltringham

upload_2016-11-19_11-30-49.jpeg

Durham boy Geoff is a bit of a journeyman among refs, coming through theTyne and Wear Youth League, Northern and UniBond leagues and then, the Blue Square before spending his last few year years on League 1 and Championship games. We've only seen him once - the 3-1 win away to Rotherham last season, when he booked 3 players; McCormack and LVC of ours. Mind he also gave us a 16th minute penalty which Ross converted. Wednesday last had him when they won 2-1 against Brentford at Griffin Park last year. He sent off two players and booked a certain, David Button.

Red cards seemed to be Geoff's forte last season. In 37 games he dished out 8 reds and a modest 97 yellows. So far this season he's mellowed a tad with only 2 reds in 15 games, and on par with 46 yellows.

7. Cottager58

Almost like the old days - on Football Focus before the big match

8. Cottager58

First half had an element of deja vu about it. We had 64% of the possession but only 4 attempts on goal; all fairly hapless. Wednesday were content to wait on mistakes and move quickly into attack. Their goal was a classic example. The ball was lofted forward and although there should have an an offside decision immediately before, we allowed them to regain possession and didn't defend at all well. Our midfield was very congested with both McDonald and Johansen loping around among the other three. Consequently the likes of Aluko was seeing little of the ball and even less space. Arguably we could have had a penalty when Johansen was pulled back/shirt held trying to run through on a forward pass in their box. In summary, Wednesday were snappier and very, very cynical.

Second half Johansen came deeper to take the ball from the back four and we started pushing into them, playing more forward passes and switching to the wings more effectively. The early sub of Ayite for Piazon created better attacking options - not that Piazon had a bad game - allowing Aluko to get closer to Martin and at times forward of him. McDonald, who was poor, coming off saw our best spell. Half of our 15 shots on goal came after the 75th minute and five in the last 10 minutes or so. With a bit more savvy and a lot more composure we'd have equalised before we did and ... who knows!

Surprisingly the possession was pretty even steven in the second - overall we had 59%. However, in that half it was Fulham that were the snappier, although Wednesday were still very, very cynical. Guess a draw was a fair result on the play. Despite their consistent foul play to prevent any threat, Wednesday are an accomplished team; all of them comfortable on the ball and making themselves available. No doubting though we thoroughly deserved that very, very late equaliser.

Struggling to pick our MOTM however.

9. Cottager58

10. Super Brian McBride

This sounds familiar, lots of possession with a slow build up and very few shots on goal, then start to move the ball quicker in the last 15 minutes and start to have more shots at goal.
    I was suprised to find only 4 Wednesday players were booked I thought he booked about 8.
    I think the cynical way Wednesday play has to be brought to the attention of all Refs. It's Italian style, the little nudges on players just before they challenge for the ball, the shirt pulling, keeper time wasting and niggle fouls on players to stop them breaking away and to break play up. Not sure why Wednesday need to do that as they seem a decent. But Parker must have seen it from the bench and decided to get stuck in.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016

11. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

I thought we didn't play badly but we didn't play well either. Wednesday pressed and stopped us playing and sneaked a goal on the break. SJ must have said some words as we came out second half with a little more fight. The Parker substitution changed the game for me. He got in amp get it and was positive. I said to my brother that we were a bit naive in terms of the way Wednesday were playing but they were very cynical and got away with it. It was nice not to see a loss. Last game I saw was Bristol City.

12. Cookie-6262

Unfortunately Craving, I'm going to have to request you don't attend another game for a while :emoticon-0100-smile

A point against Wednesday is not a bad result they will be in an around the top 6 come May, just could have done with 3 points with Brighton away up next which will be very very tough. For me we need to take a minimum 3 points from our next two games but neither will be easy!

Cravingawin likes this.
  13. Super Brian McBride

Think Wednesday playing two up front stifled our backs from getting forward till the last 15 minutes. Either Forestieri or Hooper would pull wide when our fullbacks went forward dragging our centerhalfs out with them, so our fullbacks had to stay in a back 4. In the last 15 mins we saw a lot more of Odoi and Malone overlapping and getting to the byeline or cutting the ball back to Ayite and Cairney to get crosses in quicker and push the defenders back. Most of the team had average performances but I think I'd give Aluko my MOTM as he was always trying to close down and never stopped running after lost causes.

14. Cottager58

I was stuck between Aluko and Johansen (he did similar). Still can't decide though. Almost tempted to give it to Parker. He'd obviously been sitting on the bench watching the ugly side of Wednesday and came on with a "I'm not having that" attitude. The 'robust' tackle on Foresteri inside his first couple of minutes on the field set the scene and gave us that extra bit of oomph in the last quarter of the game.

15. Cottager58

Longer highlights, courtesy of Sheffield Wednesday, who don't charge for the pleasure ... just saying!

Interestingly they don't show the penalty shout in the first half when Johansen had his shirt tugged well inside their box. Also full marks to Denis Odoi who got the flicked header that led to our equaliser - hadn't realised at the time it was him up front and in the middle.

16. Cottager58

The Gaffer agrees it was a penalty when Stefan Johansen was pulled back by Jack Hunt inside the box in the first half. He told reporters,

"The rules say that is clearly a penalty. They explained the rules. If they talk about this situation and then they do not point to the penalty spot I didn`t hear very well!

I don`t want to be funny but it is a big mistake in a very dangerous moment for us. Everyone in the stadium saw it."

17. Cookie-6262

Think it was Ayite who got the flick on, Odoi took the throw in for the cross to come in! Definate Penalty and would normally be given especially to the home team.

18. Cottager58

You're right Cookie,and even better then .. from such a small person.