1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sex Pest or Icons..

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by wizered, Jun 26, 2011.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

With all the headlines and continuous repeats on radio and news broadcasts about a certain club and football player,both of which remain on here nameless,although the crime is sexual activities which break the law and giving the player a second chance.

In recent times we have seen players perform for our clubs who have a varying degree of convictions against them,ranging from serious motoring offences,assualt and battery,theft,various serious offences against females.

Our own club agreed to this in recent times with the Orr,Brooker and party problems and the " gasheads" to their credit had with it Pipe and dealt with it in a more severe fashion.

These people are icons to our young people,earn thousands and can hide behind the loyalties and protection their clubs provide.

Do we give them a second chance and let them enjoy the freedoms football provide or rout them all out and keep them away from influencing our young people.

Hard choices,I'd be interested to hear your opinions..

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

wiz <ok>

i have mixed feelings on it. if a normal person go to prison for a crime, when they serve time and are released, they obviously need to start their life again. i would rather they work than get benefits wasting tax payers money like they have been doing while in prison. so in 1 way, yes let them get on with their lives. but i dont think they should be allowed to be in a position where people would look up them as icons and heros.

3. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hello wizered.
    Such a difficult one. Firstly you have the conflict between the principles of forgiveness and reconciliation and the emotions of anger and repulsion.
    Then the waters are further muddied by the fact that serving a sentence may not be an indication of remorse, sorrow; or even worse, reform.
    The few things I would say are that:
    Footballers are subject to the laws of the land and should never be treated any differently
    They should never be allowed to buy anonymity just because they have the money and can.
    The laws of the land should apply on the football pitch. If any player deliberately abuses or harms another player he should be prosecuted as if he did it in the high street.
    Celebrity, fame and fortune bring responsibility..the higher you climb then the further you might fall.
    Another problem is that en masse fans do not behave as rationally as they do as individuals. Any player returning to the game after prosecution or sentencing will get hell from the terraces. Against this must be the acceptance by fans that often 'There but for the grace of God go I.'
    Having said all of that I'd give David Pipe a chance once he has served his sentence!

Here endeth the first reading!!

4. Mangadoogas

Mangadoogas Member

Fair play pirate49, i was just about to say that very thing!!!